Little bit of jap into my BMW drifter

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by M3 Tim, Dec 19, 2012.

1. M3 Tim

M3 Tim Member

So apart from paint it's all back together

[​IMG]

Bled the hydro again to see if I can find out why it keeps locking on. Then cleaned all the driveshaft to diff bolts and used loctite on them as I'm sick of them coming loose.
    Also chopped the boot up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just need to clean the edges up weld it in then throw a tube of mastic around the sides, I hope it doesn't vibrate.

2. M3 Tim

M3 Tim Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Converted the drifter to stubs and nuts today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Full on prep now ready for news eve drifting at Teeside, new discs and a full in bolt righting session.

Also got a new set of these calibre vintage 9j rear and 8j fronts should look sweet.

[​IMG]

Still need to paint the front bumper and the new rear window spoiler so loads of updates to come.

#82 M3 Tim, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  3. M3 Tim

M3 Tim Member

Something about a new set of wheels I'm buzzing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9j rears gonna fit the stretched arches perfect.im gonna save these rims for barrel sprinting and next years gymkhana comps.

Shite pic of the window spoiler in place not fitted yet

[​IMG]

4. bazzer61

bazzer61 Member

best e36 I've seen dude

5. ENWOD

ENWOD Member

Gorgeous E36... Think you've convinced me to sell my MX5 and get one. I was teetering on an E46 but this has sold me! :)

6. M3 Tim

M3 Tim Member

Cheers lads always good to get some good feedback.

Anyway I did Teeside on New Year's Eve my first proper track. Half the fun is loading up for a road trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Teeside was damp first thing and soon started to dry out, everything was going well as it could for someone relativity new to drifting. Realy started to putting done parts together then I changed wheels and it started to rain about dinner time and it all went to shit.head went out the window and I was constantly spinning off. Here are some pics from the togs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had a good day and was really impressed with the organisation at Teeside and the amount of seat time to say it was a sold out date.in the end the top bush on the camber arm shit itself and I had a very wobbly wheel with some worrying noises when turning with the welder in.
    Looking back now I had to much air in my tyres and I'd forgot that I'd turned the dampers up since last time out so down to lack of skill and a badly set up car I'm not surprised I kept spinning off in the wet.just part of the learning curve and now an even greater hunger to get back out there and try again.

#86 M3 Tim, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  7. Faniel321

Faniel321 Member

Nice build and nice car.

8. M3 Tim

M3 Tim Member

Cheers,I don't want to take it any further really till I get the hang of this drifting thing.so tempting to cage and look at engine upgrades but pointless till I get this years sliding done.

9. Faniel321

Faniel321 Member

sounds like a plan im still waiting to do my first proper drift day lol will be goin pod lydden hill and snetterton at least this year though.

10. pecs

pecs Member

Awesome build mate, liking it :)

11. 340mike

340mike Member

What are these studs like? I was looking at some but i was always a bit unsure.

Do you think you could fit them onto Hubcentric spacers?

and then bolt the spacers up as normal?

Great build looks just right.

12. M3 Tim

M3 Tim Member

I was a. It dubious when i fitted them. But they survived a drift day and the threads still look like new.
    I torqued them up and after 3-4 laps they needed a small tweet up which is quite normal I imagine. I always after do that with ally spacers.

Regards to your spacers I can't see it being a problem as all threads are made to indure what there made for.

13. 340mike

340mike Member

Thank you very much.

Nice one!

14. M3 Tim

M3 Tim Member

Small update fitted a new bonnet and had that and the bumper sprayed.
    Competed in the first round of monster Fbs,qualified but messed up and got knocked out. But more importantly got 3rd fastest of the day the magic end tuning did on the ecu was amazing the guy is a magician.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. M3 Tim

M3 Tim Member

So I've just got the car back and it's full on prep for the next round and not long till the French Gymkhana.

[​IMG]

Red rear lights

[​IMG]

New bumper and bonnet sprayed and stickers off ready for this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. LiamE36

LiamE36 Active Member

The car is spot on... other than one thing, that exhaust. Needs something a little more subtle or at least striaghtening up or something.

17. M3 Tim

M3 Tim Member

Haha it's a japspeed backbox off my bros 555 sti Scooby it sounds sweet and sits the same way it would do on as Scooby.everyone to there own I suppose.

18. bigdave z20

bigdave z20 Member

Stud conversion on the hubs is a class idea! Us jap owners are spoiled with that!lol

Car looks great with the new livery

19. pecs

pecs Member

Converted to studs myself on my bmw, a lot better and less hassle for wheel changing.

20. M3 Tim

M3 Tim Member

So the channel tunnels booked and on the 13th of June I'm off to the south of France to compete in gymkhana grids first round.cant wait to sit at the start line again and look over and see what I'm up against.hope I can repeat last years finishing place of 6th at silverstone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Never had the driveshafts out on it so I'll have to strip them out before I go. The spare parts I'm planning on taking are going to way a tonne.

#100 M3 Tim, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014