Lotus Exige V6 Drift Car

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by GFWilliams, Apr 4, 2018.

1. GFWilliams

GFWilliams New Member

Thought I'd say hello in here, I'm the idiot who thinks it's a good idea to take my Exige V6 to a drift day at Rockingham...

I'm a car photographer and have always loved throwing a car sideways. My car is far from ideal as a drift car, but that's what makes it fun!

A little about the car... It's a Exige S in Liquid Yellow, originally 350hp from a 3.5l supercharged V6, now tuned up to 460hp thanks to the Komo-tec package which consists of a charge cooler, manifolds, downpipe, sports cats, intake, pulley change and a map to make it work. My gearbox is standard although I have a Quaiffe ATB LSD installed.

21640787_1739632566108787_7728651243665362488_o.

I've then installed a 343mm big brake kit on the front and Performance Friction pads all round, and the suspension is now 3 way Nitrons, which I've been really impressed with and with a little bit of adjustment helped me change the balance of the car on track to dial out a bit of the understeer.

B8415143.

I've got a full custom interior with custom air vents, a load of unnecessary carbon, a digital dash and carbon fibre Tillett B6 Screamer seats with custom quilted pads. All a bit unnecessary, but I had fun doing it... On the exterior I've just ordered a big gay wing, Cup R front splitter and a louvred engine lid. Hopefully this gives the car a bit more stability at high speeds, and the rear lid allows a bit more heat out of the engine bay. I've also got custom rear lights and mirrors.

Untitled1web1.

My aim is to be able to use the car for road trips, trackdays actually driving fast, then drift days as well. Last year I managed 20k miles in it. This year will be less as work is so busy, but I intend to get it out to Europe for summer for a while for sure. Hopefully I can get some dry drift days in too!

DSC_3143.

So Rockingham on Monday was my first time out on a drift day and it was quite an experience! Quite intimidating at first seeing all the cars in the paddock which people seemed happy enough to smash into a wall on the Meihan track! I have driven Rockingham before in the wet though (before I had the LSD installed) and knew that I could slide around no problem.

I only did the lakeside track as a) I can't afford to hit the car into a wall and b) the car is mid engined and without a hydro I was struggling to get the car turned in for tight corners. I've now tasked Carson Performance to install one to help me in the future...

lotusdrift3.
    I learnt a lot during the day, but of course there's still a long way to go. The Lotus is quite happy to be sideways, but having the weight behind you and not having much steering lock does make things a little challenging. There are lots more techniques I want to practice, the biggest one is using the brakes while sideways to adjust the car. I'd never done this before, but tried it towards the end of the day and it helped me to control the speed of entry into corners after transitioning.

This was my best run of the day, I'm more than happy to hear any feedback on it as my ultimate goal is to improve. Next time I'll hopefully have the car setup even better and the Hydro so it might be worth getting an instructor to help increase my rate of improvement!

• Like Like x 5
  2. nissanr34cal

nissanr34cal Well-Known Member

You mad man. I love it.

3. jon07043278

jon07043278 Well-Known Member

Great so see this kind of madness. Walton of Nispro drifts an mr2 with all the same issues but does a good job of it :).

If you gained a little more lock (shortened the knuckle, rack spacers) and a hydro, you'd be laughing.

4. jbsauce

jbsauce Member

In all fairness the lakeside track was strange all day, no front end grip on initiation but then loads of rear end grip when sliding you had to really keep on the power. I found the tinyest flick of the handbrake sorted all that but my clutch died later in the day so could of just been that all day ha

5. GFWilliams

GFWilliams New Member

Annoyingly my lock is limited by the tyre rubbing against the arch lining, so a change in geo still wouldn't give me more lock. I could remove the arch liner, but not really worth it as it would only give me a couple of mm extra space and it'd then be rubbing against the chassis, plus nothing to protect the electrics above the arch liner.

Looking at this Hydro, but would get it anodised black and get a alcantara handle made for it to match the rest of the car. I'm a bit worried about placement of it in the car, there really isn't much space to work with and when harnessed in tight to the seat you can't reach too far!
    https://www.driftworks.com/obp-pro-drift-v2-lockable-hydraulic-handbrake-540-600mm-lever.html

6. Moejorrison

Moejorrison Member

Very cool seeing someone get into drifting with such an unorthodox car, look forward to seeing the progress

7. essexcapri25

essexcapri25 Member

could you not space front wheels out to allow for my room?

8. MrBish

MrBish New Member

What a beautiful car. Photography's not bad either ;)
    Props for using something out of the ordinary too dude

9. ben-yates

ben-yates Member

Class! another thing i would be tempted to do is clear vinyl wrap the rear arches incase your tyres delaminate.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nite_Shayde

Nite_Shayde Active Member

Very cool. Lovely colour too!

11. thenextdk

thenextdk Member

This was my best run of the day, I'm more than happy to hear any feedback on it as my ultimate goal is to improve. Next time I'll hopefully have the car setup even better and the Hydro so it might be worth getting an instructor to help increase my rate of improvement!

one thing to get out of the habit of would be to try and not cross your hands over whilst steering, it'll stop you getting in a flap when you eventually have a moment, but thjat'll come naturally with time as you get more relaxed drifting it.

the best way of improving is to get as much seat time as possible, theres no replacement for that!

its cool to see something different, nice work!