m52 compact

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by 69rat, Mar 13, 2013.

1. 69rat

69rat Member

thought i would share my newest build.

a few weeks ago i broke my e36 touring at pod by hitting the fence :no:. at first i thought it was just cosmetic. long story short, it was so rotted the rear subframe shifted by over an inch!

anyway. 2 weeks ago i found a cheap compact fairly local with tax and test that needed an engine. i handed over £250 and took it home.
    that weekend pulled the engine out of my touring (m52 2.8) and put it in the compact. turns out this is a pain in the arse as the compact is a late 2000 and has a stupid security system. managed to re wire it all up and drove it home on sunday.
    still havent managed to get the temp gauge or rev counter working yet (close to giving up!!!)
    the last week i have put on my suspension, z3 wheels, bride bucket, dishy steering wheel. thats about it at the moment. will keep updating as i go

heres a few piccys
    the touring
    crashu_zps51fc8ab1.
    touringbay_zpsa86f509a.

the compact
    20130228_101750_1_zps7f9c7134.
    20130228_101802_zps27132655.
    compactbay_zps1f6eebbe.
    compactdone_zps4ee7b926.
    compactwheels_zpsba29b9e5.

2. Elmo

Elmo .................

How hard is it to do the conversion? Is it basically plug and play?

3. JackCornick

JackCornick Member

Shame that, I always like to see Drift Tourers! Good work on the conversion, Compacts (and all beemers) just seem a bit limp wristed without at least a 6 pot.

4. 69rat

69rat Member

If its an early compact then yes its simple. If its 98 onwards then its a bit more involved.

5. tokyo-ben

tokyo-ben Active Member

sweet project im doing this at the monent :) did you have to use the 2.8 throttle cable? or did the standard one fit ok?

6. 69rat

69rat Member

Stock one fits fine

7. Neild

Neild Member

Just went out and bought myself a touring, shame to see your ones no more, but sure the compact will be a lot of fun :)

8. 69rat

69rat Member

finally got a working temp gauge now. only got the rev counter to sort and its done! also took the diff out last weekend and welded that up. on the lookout for a rear anti roll bar as this doesnt have one at all! hoping to get it up to pod on 10th aprill
    quick pic i took in daylight
    [​IMG]

9. Tommy Bates

Tommy Bates Member

Alright dude, been on drift days when youv been there, myne is the sh*t box silver 1.6 compact thats been coming pod since start of this yeer.. ., well I have just got my 2.5 conversion and everwhere I have read says that the compacts nee a little bit of wiring, is that just Bridgeing the 2 big wires on the ews box or is it alot more involved?

10. 69rat

69rat Member

that depends on the year. best thing to do is remove plastic tray from drivers footwell and find your ews box. find out what you have. it will either be ews, ews2 or ews3. if it is 3 then yes there is wiring involved. its not that difficult and if you find me at pod i will happily show you what needs doing. if it is 1 or 2 im sure you can bypass it. failing that you can get you ecu flashed for not alot of monies.
    make sure you get bigger rad, front half of prop if using m50 box, and the exhaust will need making.
    but its the best thing you can do to a compact!

11. Tommy Bates

Tommy Bates Member

thanks for the info ,

would it be posible to use the 1.6 rad just untill i source a bigger rad ?

also as far as exhausts go would you be able to post a picture of what you did? i have the manifolds just unsure whether to make it from there or whether to buy 325 downpipe and go from that ....?

12. 69rat

69rat Member

Mine has m52 front half of exhaust and custom rear half. 1.6 rad will work fine but will not be great for pod. What exactly did you get with your conversion?

13. Tommy Bates

Tommy Bates Member

engine, box, front half of prop, loom , manifolds , bosch ecu

14. 69rat

69rat Member

had an amazing day at pod today. first time out in this car and its amazing! even with standard shocks and chopped springs, compared my old touring its was fantastic. managed to do the whole track in 3rd! and used all 10 tires by 3pm. think this car is a keeper!
    heres a few pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. jacksheps

jacksheps Member

Fair play that's making smoke!

16. Goddaz

Goddaz Member

17. chidley

chidley i like fingers

car looked good out there yesterday, me and tommy have just about finished his M50 compact conversion, just got the little bits to finish off like bleeding the rad and bodging an exhaust, hope it performs like this did :]

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Sam Freeman

Sam Freeman New Member

Hi, I'm doing the same project with a 1999 compact using an 328 m52 auto engine and loom, I've come across an issue now that the engine is in the compact. The engine will turn over but there is no spark or fuel? I have a mapped ecu with ews delete and was wondering if there was still some wiring that had to be done? I'm at my end with this now and have tried everything I can think of.

19. maurice11 bton

maurice11 bton New Member

buy ews deleted ecu n chop wire to pin 7 loom plug :)