make the ticking stop!! e36

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by zornyan, Dec 17, 2014.

1. zornyan

zornyan Member

Right I'm seriously fucked off with this noise.

Recently took my car up to my mates to have my cats removed and straight pipes welded in place.

We dropped the exhaust, cut out cats and welded new pipes in, great.

On the drive home I noticed it tickling loudly, great I think there's a pinhole we missed.

Few days later I go back up on the ramp and we find a tiny tiny hole that we missed, welded it up but no difference.

Can't seem to see any signs of the gaskets leaking, but it's fucking loud and obviously when booting it sounds shit.

Any suggestions? I'm sure it's exhaust related but I can't find any leaks. Before I start stripping stuff and replacing gaskets for the sake of it. Anyone had their 328 decatted and sound shit?

Exhaust is standard bar the decat and scorpion back box

2. -Tommy.

-Tommy. Member

Where abouts is the ticking coming from? Have you fitted a standard exhaust again to see if it goes away?

On my previous E36 328, after replacing gaskets everywhere in an attempt to find the issue, the next owner found out what it was. It turned out that the manifold was cracked, making it sound like a bucket of nails.

But at the end of the day, you cant really get around the fact that they do sound a little shit and tinny anyway with a straight pipe and no cats/boxes.

#2 -Tommy., Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  3. zornyan

zornyan Member

It's still got a rear Scorpion back box and the 2 oem standard silencers in the mid pipe. We literally only took the cats out.

Sounds like its coming from under the gear stick.

4. LiamE36

LiamE36 Active Member

It's not likely to be the problem but... M52 engines have a known fault of the cam sensors failing which causes all the injectors to fire a lot more than they should, this causes a rather loud ticking sound.

5. zornyan

zornyan Member

I had thought about that. But surely I would have other symptoms? Still getting 35 odd mpg and idle etc is all fine. On the overrun at about 2500 rpm it pops and crackles shit loads though and sounds like it's under my feet.

6. DanMateX

DanMateX Member

id say somethings broken getting 35mpg out of a 328 hahaha

check under the drivers side where the exhaust comes down from the manifolds as mines got a broken bracket there that rattles

7. B3AM3R

B3AM3R Member

Check the Manifold. I bet there is a crack.

8. GB / John

GB / John NDC Runner Up 2012

Open bonnet and try to find exactly were its coming from. On my 328 it would tick from a solenoid bolted to bulkhead at back of engine. I didn't care I just raped the shit out of it more.

9. zornyan

zornyan Member

It's 100% exhaust and it only happened after the decat. If you put your ear near any of the exhaust pipework on the car it sounds louder.

Was just checking this isn't normal, need to check manifolds again by sounds of it

10. bessell

bessell Member

Check the cv joints on the propshaft especially as it seems to be coming from the gear stick area mine developed a speed related tick and that's what was causing it. Might just be that it happened to start doing it once you changed the exhaust

11. status unknown

stick a smoke tester on it, that will show any tiny pinholes you might have missed (Y)