Me first s13

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by paul0547, Aug 23, 2010.

1. paul0547

paul0547 Member

Hi all!

Right.. Always had a thing for s13s and was flicking through autotrader and saw a nice bog standard one. From previous experience with skylines always like to do/try to the work myself :wack:. So popped down to see it and she was Mint! Never drifted or ragged the fella had owned her for the last 15 years.. On top of that full service history and 1 year MOT had to have her!!.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Im new to s13s so any help/tips along the way would be great!

What do you all think?

Ive heard that these engines are unreliable if you go above stage one is this true? Im guessing stage one is full exhaust, induction kit, fmic?

Thanks paul

#1 paul0547, Aug 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  2. S13Dr1fter

S13Dr1fter ~SOUTHERN DRIFT RC~

very tidy mate :) lots of potential
    best thing to make it last is changing its fluids regularly, same with any engine really, just more often with a CA lol

3. nissanr34cal

nissanr34cal Well-Known Member

u need to start by slamming it and putting some nice rims on it, and an exhaust

4. lee+jo

lee+jo Member

hi mate looks a nice clean car mate yeah i'd say slam it and a nice set of wheels. ca's can be reliable upto about 280bhp after that they can be fragile depends what you want out of it. if you want more bhp than 280 i'd recomend doing an sr20 swap which are more reliable and will handle around 350bhp with no problems. it just depends on your budget.

5. xborninthefightx

xborninthefightx JZX BOSS

Does look very clean, first thing would be change oil and have a GOOD look for an rust and if there is any, (which most likely there will be) sort that out before it gets worse. How much has the car done btw.

6. paul0547

paul0547 Member

Thanks all..

Done 100k bit high mileage.. its been waxed underneath only rust is located on boot lid and tiny little bit on bar infront of engine which previous owner has already had a go at fixing. Would be happy with around say 250 bhp. Slam it and exhaust and wheels are a must and soon! lol.

Im after a nice bov sound a friend said on s13's all you need is a decent induction kit and it will create wastegate chatter would any of you know this is true?

Also If I was to add a fmic/induction and full exhaust system will she need a re-map? I had this problem with my old skyline not boosting properly when i added these and needed a remap

Cheers sorry about all the questions :)

#6 paul0547, Aug 25, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  7. Damien

Damien ~London Folk~

dude, firstly you need these...
    Nissan 200sx S13 Tein Coilovers Drift Race Track on eBay (end time 01-Sep-10 22:34:03 BST)

maybe this if you feel you need a BOV...
    Genuine HKS Black Edition SSQV Dump Valve on eBay (end time 01-Sep-10 12:31:37 BST)

Loose the gay bit of foam thats rotting holes as i type this in your boot! get some pimp ass rims and get it rolling right! weld the diff, get a DW bucket seat and man that car up! Other than being lovely and clean it looks like something my grandad would be rolling in!

....if you really wanna get some testes bung on some supermades for instant fame/kudos on this here forum! ;)

Unleash the potential!
    [​IMG]

8. byebyegti

byebyegti Member

stage one, is 255lt fuel pump, fmic, free flow exhuast and air filter +chip, runs the t25 at about 15psi. looking 230bhp off that setup

get some s14 calipers, get your braking and handling done first, then think power. id recommend a t28, from a 14, or if budget isnt too tight then get a t28r, on a stage 2 setup. be looking over 250 bhp.
    get an oil pressure gauge, and keep an eye on it.

theres nought wrong with the CA is jsut depends how you treat it, well i says theirs nought wrong, the bottom ends are weak from the manufacturing, they put the wrong oil in for the first parts of their lifes, wasnt thick enough, made bottom ends weak on them, a rebuild isnt particualry hard. just decent oil, good care and a bit of tlc, and its all good.
    car looks good, get the rust dealt with then modify it. good luck

9. magicmat

magicmat Active Member

I like the title "Me first s13"

Are you from up North' ?

:D

10. Sparrow

Sparrow Member

love this thred. defenetly gonna watch this one:thumbs:

11. paul0547

paul0547 Member

cheers damien gna bid for the coilovers!! Getting a full exhaust system tomorrow cant wait! Yeah bucket seats are a must these shit seats give u backache after 5 mins of driving.. Tbh i feel well old driving it at the moment only good thing i havent been pulled over by the filth in it yet which is a right touch.

Going to work for stage one with a t28r in that case. Would imagine 250bhp would be good fun in one of these. Also will look into s14 breaks cos the ones on her now are shocking!! lol.

Naa not from up north me goes with thirteen better only reason lol :euge:

12. jones'ey

jones'ey Member

very nice m8,
    GLWB

13. rwdalltheway

rwdalltheway Member

had one of these good car and a laugh

14. paul0547

paul0547 Member

Got my new exhaust of Big_angle_s13 Top Guy!. Took it to rsr to fit for me but for some reason didnt line up so I let them do there thing came back a hour later and it was on. Btw its manifold back not all sections in first picture.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Could not see any rust underneath and found that it has been waxed :wack: Result!

[​IMG]

There is a strange smell coming from the exhaust which I reckon is pointing towards the turbo being buggered so when I got a chance going to take it down abby motorsport and have them check it over. Its not exhaust gasket paste due to the smell was there before i had the new exhaust fitted.
    :cool:

15. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Exhaust 'smell' wouldnt say its a turbo prob.
    And taking it to Abbey deffo smells like a big bill coming soon.

16. paul0547

paul0547 Member

Before I got it the guy didnt use it for about 12 months so the turbo sills might have gone or so people have told me there is a tiny bit of smoke after the turbo has kicked in so guesing it is the turbs. I know they are expensive but I got alot of work on my old skyline done there so they know me and usually very helpful due to the amount of ££££ I spent there in the past lol.

17. xborninthefightx

xborninthefightx JZX BOSS

Why do you need someone to do little things like this when you can save a lot of money and do it yourself.

18. smokingtyres

smokingtyres New Member

hey if hes got the money....:smash:

19. spin-king

spin-king Active Member

Bit of advice that i have picked up since owning 200's............LEARN TO FIX THEM OR WORK MORE HOURS AND GET DEEPER POCKETS LOL

I wish i had more cash to pay people though i bloody hate working on cars LOL

Good starting base though bud

20. paul0547

paul0547 Member

I would of done the exhaust myself but didnt line up so rsr had to do a few modifications to the pipe to make it fit I wouldn't even know where to start chopping pipes. Planning to do as much as I possibly can myself due to not having big pockets lol. Right... bought some Tein Shocks, front/rear strut brace and a apex induction kit. Going to fit tomorrow :).

She has also stopped smoking guessing turbo had to settle down from when I changed the exhaust. TOUCH!