Mercedes c250td - om605 - gt35 - big boost

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by JoshCooperSR13, May 11, 2016.

1. JoshCooperSR13

Time for another build thread, some of you may know of my last S14 build.....

[​IMG]

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drift-car-projects-builds/237819-my-s14-track-maybe-drift-build.html

This build is a lot lower budget but see what happens. it all started when I was scanning over eBay in my lunch hour to see if there was anything interesting for sale when I found the Merc. It wasn't something I was particularly looking for but I have always been interested in a big turbo diesel build like Team Black Smoke's (photo below). The auction had started at 0.99p and was at about £300 when I found it, the auction was ending that evening so I stuck on a reasonable bid not really expecting to win but what do you know. I got the car for my max bid so was a bid lucky or unlucky depends how you look at it. After contacting the seller he agreed to drop the car round from London to Maidstone (about 30 miles) for another £50 bargain just had to drop him off at the station but saves me the effort going to collect it.

The Plan:

• Standard bodywork for sleeper style
    • GT35 eBay spec turbo
    • Big Boost
    • Spend less than £3K
    • Get as close to 400BHP as possible
    • Standard OM605 pump with 8mm elements

[​IMG]

So these were the photos on the listing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then some photos of when it arrived, pretty much as I expected it but missing the hubcaps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After taking the car for a quick spin it was obvious the brakes were f*cked so I chucked it on the ramp to see how bad they were

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so the first move was to replace all the discs and pads

[​IMG]

Then received this in the post from the seller :thumbs:

[​IMG]

That's it for now as I am waiting on the parts I've ordered (including the turbo).

The plan for tonight:
    • cut springs for free lows
    • remove all standard turbo, egr, intercooler and any other shit that isn't needed.

#1 JoshCooperSR13, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
  2. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

I would buy a holset for big boost as that's what they are made to do. Can't see a gt35 giving diesel levels of boost.

Cool project though, would like a derv drifter at some point.

3. JoshCooperSR13

That is something I thought about before buying the GT35 but I opted for a new eBay turbo rather than a old holset for the same money, eBay turbo will be replaced by a new Holset when it dies.

4. Repetitio

Repetitio Member

nice Project! I´m doing a similar one at the moment. But since i´m a drift beginner i´m only aiming for about 200-250hp. What Differantial are you planing top use? Welder or any other lsd or something?
    I´ll folow your project ;)

5. JoshCooperSR13

Right so I didn't get as much done as I wanted last night getting the front springs out was a bit of a bastard but here are the photos anyway, pretty much what I wanted. sorry for the dark photos didn't finish until about 11pm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So just hubcaps to slap on tonight as I left them at work :mad: then i'll remove all unwanted turbo stuff on Saturday :thumbs:

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks mate, diff wise I am thinking standard and welded and see how it lasts.

6. JoshCooperSR13

So I quickly got the car out last night to put the caps on and see how low it was in the day light, the answer is pretty low.....

Nothing a little front arch rolling wont sort :wack:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that's it for now but hopefully stripping the turbo side of things down over the weekend so will update after that.

7. LOKISY

LOKISY Member

Looks fuckin ace

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

8. Erkkodrift

Erkkodrift New Member

You want to use om602 injectionpump because it is fully mechanical. What kind of clutch and gearbox are you planning to use?

9. JoshCooperSR13

Thanks mate :)

10. JoshCooperSR13

I did think about the om602 but having spoken with Luke @ DPUK he says the standard electric pump limit is around 400bhp with 8mm elements so to keep things simple ill see how that goes. gearbox will be staying standard until it shits itself but ive seen people running around 400bhp with standard box and diff. Clutch wise im not sure yet and open to suggestions if anyone has any ideas :)

On other news my Turbo should turn up today fingers crossed....

11. Erkkodrift

Erkkodrift New Member

I have sachs race engineering bmw m3 pressure plate and sintered disc. It is holding my 700nm fine. But you need single mass flywheel for that pressure plate. I also have m3 gearbox.

12. Drifttrader

Drifttrader Member

ebay 35 will spill it's guts and could fuck your engine.

it's a fast spoiling low power, big boost - you need to get a big fuck off one, try getting a used one with no play plenty around for about 300 quid

13. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Having just killed a China charger yesterday your 35 is very much a waste of money.
    Sell it and buy a holset.

14. JoshCooperSR13

So the turbo turned up !!!

All looks as I expected but i'll just have to see how it lasts :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This photo is the turbo in rough position but not bolted up yet as I need to make up the adapter but hopefully ill have time to sort that this week.

I have loosened off all the manifold bolts, turbo downpipe, oil pipes and EGR, so far really impressed with how easy it comes apart, I've missed working on a German I'm used to a nice rusty Jap.

[​IMG]

15. JoshCooperSR13

sounds like a good setup, do you have a build thread anywhere?

16. JoshCooperSR13

I'll stick with the eBay special for now but if it dies too quickly ill go for a holset.

17. LOKISY

LOKISY Member

Then you were very lucky lol have you done anything to the rear arms? Or diff? Id take a Nissan any day. :)

18. JoshCooperSR13

Yes it did come apart nicely maybe the turbo was replaced recently?? No, nothing yet I haven't really had that much time working on it but will get round to sorting the other bits :)

I've done the Nissan thing a few times now and I have found it costs about £1billion to make anything worth having if you don't have £1billion to spend you have something that looks a bit ratty, it doesn't always work and its a bit rusty. I just fancied something a bit different for a change :)

19. LOKISY

LOKISY Member

O yea I've got a clk 230 and its cheap for parts but fuck me are the bits a cunt to take off lol.

20. JoshCooperSR13

Time for a bit of an update, stock turbo and manifold are out and my manifold adapter is now all welded up by my good friend Matt, cheers mate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The turbo is sitting a bit further forward than I thought it would but never mind it will work :) for the moment I am planning on using the stock intercooler to keep costs down and for a mega stealthy look. EGR is deleted on the manifold so will make a blank so the valve doesn't work but I think it looks better fitted to keep things looking OEM+

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Things left to do before driving:

• wastegate
    • screamer
    • boost controller
    • boost gauge
    • downpipe
    • exhaust valve
    • match-up intercooler pipework
    • weld the diff