Mercedes E55 AMG, rear mount turbo, VGT turbine, Holset HX55, etc etc

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Stavros, Oct 19, 2014.

1. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

nice mini-cab bro..
    I hope you got the beaded seat covers.

can you not take the flappy things out of the rear pockets to help air flow in. then cut out behind the number plate and space it out.

2. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Gold tissue box on parcel shelf and everything mayyed.

Was thinking about taking them vents out the pockets, but chances are more dirty shitty water from the rear wheels will come in than anything else.

Prob just butcher the top of the bootlid tbf. Will see.

3. Horton

Horton Member

Very interesting.

4. mantahead

mantahead Member

hi,

nice one mate, i love it

5. driftyste

driftyste Member

Ne more updates

6. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

No new updates yet, maybe tomorrow.

Cheers mate. We both like Mercs and stupid engines lol.

7. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Hooked up the wideband today so could finally drive it a bit.

First thing- It sounds MENTAL!

Bear in mind it's got no silencers at all, just the turbo, it's bloody quiet at idle and cruise.

But step on it, and if you like turbo noises, you'd love this! The chatter when you let off is mega, will record that next time if I remember.

As I knew there would be, there's a few things to sort-

I don't trust the elbow between MAF and TB to not leak, looks shit to me.

Mainly the fueling though- It starts spot on, low 11s and high 10s on boost, plenty rich enough to be safe, but all of a sudden it goes mega lean. Not gradual, just blam, from 11 to 17 in a blink. Not sure why yet, I reckon it's the lambdas telling the ECU something's not right, so it shits a brick and goes lean.
    Shouldn't be too hard to work out why.

BEST (most amusing) thing for me, esp as everyones first thing is "OMG, how will you get cold air to the turbo, its gonna be so hot in the boot" etc etc. The boot, even after driving it hard, is WAY WAY cooler than under the bonnet.
    As I said before I think, boots have so many small holes in them, they're far from air tight, bet they got more air in them than an airbox good for 1000bhp, so it's not a big surprise.

So as yet, not gonna make holes in the boot. May still need to after more testing, but as yet, deffo not.

8. Leno

Leno Member

Instead of making holes in the boot (if you need too) could you not use bonnet spacers on the boot hinges, that way it'd create an air scoop of sorts?

9. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

The boot doesn't need any airflow. Strewth.

10. docwra

docwra Active Member

This alone could change the way people think about stuff like this. Are we talking ambient cold in there i.e. no heat soak or anything? I might relocate my Z33 air filter into the boot if so :wack:

Strong work here, excellent to see some proper projects back on DW :thumbs:

11. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Not ambient, that's pretty much impossible with a turbo and downpipe in there, heat wrapped or not.

It's warmer than the cold ass weather outside, but not fucking roasting like under the bonnet of a car. You'd not be uncomfortably hot even if you was locked in the boot with the temps as yet, lol.
    I've got a infra-red heat gun thing, for the sake of it I'll do some temps when I get a chance.

Think about the ridiculous amount of air an engine consumes constantly, thousands of litres a minute- That alone gives very little chance to heat soak the actual air, and keeps shit moving.

The metal boost pipes are cooler than the ones in the engine bay by a long shot too.

12. docwra

docwra Active Member

This needs to be made into some kind of standardised measure, like corpses being a recognised unit of volume for boots :wack:

13. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

TBF, that's better than last nights guesses, which was my mate waving his hand in there and going "What does that feel like to you? About 25 degrees?"

14. docwra

docwra Active Member

"Yeah, Id do an hour in the boot but only in shorts and flip flops" FTW.

15. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

need videos of disgusting turbo noises.

16. GT_FR

GT_FR Member

Love your wrap on the car !

17. alanfordtw-15

alanfordtw-15 Member

top work alright, ridiculously cool and interesting.
    the look could be improved though, more the black wheels than anything! a friend drives a silver standard look one of these and it is def a nicer looking car.

could you show a more detailed view of the charge cooler setup.
    where does the heated water then dump its absorbed heat from? is it connected to the engines cooling system?

I have most if not all the gear needed to do this to a v6 drift car. last is a lambada sensor and gauge kit in order to set it up. so cue a few tech quiestions in order to help my setup work best..
    I will be running an internally gated a/r.60 turbo with no water cooling and its own oil system. the intention was for the charge pipe, which actually runs back to the engine through the interior cos the car is so low, to dissipate enough heat to be an adequte equivalent of an intercooler. since you have fitted a charge cooler I will reconsider this and at the very least fit an act gauge to monitor it.

what boost have you built up?
    did you fit the chargecooler from the start just to be safe?
    what are your thoughts on the air filter inhaling dirty tyre smoke in the boot/interior/wherever I put it without being retardly long?
    are you letting the standard managment sort it all out, is it intelligent enough to do it?
    fitting a fuel pressure reg.?

looking forward to the continued build/burnout pics:nod:

#37 alanfordtw-15, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  18. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

The wheels are gunmetal grey, same as some of the paint. TBH we'd have preferred a plain silver one (and now I also HAVE a plain silver one!), but things appear at the right or wrong times, and that's the way it is.

Chargecooler water is pumped by a bloody big electric pump to the front of the car, where it's cooled by what was once the aircon rad.
    Don't like systems using stock water system- 100deg water won't do shit to cool, Fuck knows why so many OEM chargecoolers use it.

Boost is currently just 0.5bar (7.5psi).
    Chargecooler purely because colder is always better, and even at really low boost, it's still better than nothing.
    I agree ref the filter on a drift car, I've been trying to work that one out myself!
    E55 AMG management, with quite a lot of jiggery pokery that we're getting through at the moment, is capable of compensating to at least 550bhp.
    And yes, lots of FPR fucking around too.

Forgot to do any temperature testing of the boot (it's still not hot though), but did make a very basic vid showing some spooly noises and shit.

Couldn't go hard as not fully sorted fueling yet (starts a bit rich, then goes a bit lean), and the elbow between throttle and AFM keeps popping off, not to mention traction control shitting itself under power (just a plug to pull there, no prob), but here's some noises and shiz...

19. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

that sounds pretty fucking sweet
    Some top notch work there stav

20. riverslider

riverslider Member

Holy sweet fuck. That is awesome.

As you say, that boost/ chatter is mean.

i've only scanned through this (mostly looking at pictures and laughing at dumb posts) but have you a ballpark figure that you've completed the basic for? Obviously no mapping as of yet? but in, running driving etc?