Minty.Fresh Boosted Altezza

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Pete_the_Russian, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Pete_the_Russian

Never again!!!

So I decided do swap my gearboxes over on Saturday. Finished with D's mx5 prep for driftland and rolled my car into the garage. Started to pull everything off go get the gearbox off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pulled the box out in an hour and a half, or so. With help from Jites and Herman :o

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So after we got the box out, I proceeded to dismantle the old box and swap the bell housings over. Plan was to quickly do that and stick the box back in.... I have never been more wrong!!!!

[​IMG]

Number 25,26 are part of a 5th gear counter lever. And that little piece of shit hangs on one of the arms and is free to move while you try and slide the bell housing over it. Once everything is assembled you have to insert the bolt from the outside the housing and into the counter lever. It is such a tight tolerance that a slight misalignment, and the lever gets pushed back and after a few attempts of getting it in....you heard a frustrating 'clunk' as it fell off its perch. FUCK! Bell housing back off and try fit it back into place. Obviously it got worse as the sealant started to get dry and everything went to shit. Not what you want at 1am....few hours before you need to leave for driftland (as a support vehicle :no:)

So in the end I gave up trying to get that arm and started putting the box back together without 5th gear...never used 5th gear before...so figured its not worth the trouble. Then turned the input shaft and heard a grinding sound... :wack: Pulled it apart again, shined a light inside and saw a little wire caught in the synchros... turned out it was a spring...and a few ball bearings came out. FUCK! By this point, I think all of us lost the will to live and I couldnt be bothered anymore and thought about giving up. But Danny was giving some good motivation by loading up my car with his wheels and tyres, which made me think...'Oh, so giving up isn't really and option' :thumbs:
    All the fiddling and transporting of the box must have moved one of the selector shafts and the spring with the ball fell out into the gears...so kinda my fault. No way I would fit that box into my car.... Had a few looks of disbelief from the guys as I said that I am putting my old gearbox back in :no: So all that work...done for nothing...plus now I didnt have a 5th gear. Assembly didnt take too long, had the box in the car and everything bolted up in about an hour. I think I got home at around 4am, didnt get to sleep and then left at 6am for driftland.

Was thinking about that 5th gear counter lever all day and in the evening I figured it out....Could have easily used some tread or a rubber band to hold the lever in place. Oil would have dissolved it and it would be unnoticed by the gearbox....oh well....I AM NEVER OPENING A GEARBOX AGAIN!! EVER!:wack:

Driftland was pretty sick though. Kinda took my mind off things

Awesome weather all day
    [​IMG]

Sorting a leaking diff out after D got pulled off for throwing smoke screens

[​IMG]

Was really gutted that my car wasnt ready, was a stupid amount of seat time yesterday :nod:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, and also tried the driftland go-karts...that was pretty epic!!

2. Jites

Jites Active Member

That was a total mission haha! getting home at 4am for a 6:30am start.... needles to say we were totally fucked by the end of the day. gutted about the box though, total waste of money and time for you.

Driftland made it all good though, great to see everyone and get some passenger rides. Those karts were mega fun, so many abortions and near smashes. well worth the £10.

3. Pete_the_Russian

Yea dude, I got home yesterday and pretty much passed out. I was more pissed off about wasting your time rather than mine :D. I hurt pretty bad from those karts, that one section was waaay too bumpy :D :D

4. mint

mint touch my fruit

Aw man that sounds like D R A M A ! >____> As for the 'never opening a gearbox again'.. Wanna help me fit a clutch to a JZX? :p lmao. Sorry couldnt join you dudes.. I wanted to, but was not well and had family stuff on going.

5. Jites

Jites Active Member

dont worry about it, was a good laugh and interesting learning experiance. managed to get stuff done myself so time well spent

Im also in pain today, those karts are badass

6. Pete_the_Russian

Hahaha! Dont need to open the gearbox to fit a clutch, so im up for helping with that!! Just say when :D

7. Pete_the_Russian

Also found out that I have a Toda racing lightweight flywheel and a paddle clutch ( not sure how many paddles 4 or maybe 3) Win!

8. Khmer

Khmer Guest

should have just given me the diff code without the bs...

i can make the problems stop if you wanna.

9. Pete_the_Russian

Are you just writing shit for the sake of writing shit? What are you on about???? I gave you the diff code. Besides all the info that you were looking for could have been answered by google in under 10 seconds

10. mint

mint touch my fruit

[​IMG]

11. Khmer

Khmer Guest

if you want it to stop just let me know.

12. mint

mint touch my fruit

Please do. No one cares for a smart arse.. Especially one who demands answers, then waves answers to questions NO ONE FUCKING ASKED FOR looking for e-cock hitz... or something.?

13. Khmer

Khmer Guest

ohh mint...

14. Pete_the_Russian

Im not following....what is it exactly that I want to stop?

15. ElkWörks

ElkWörks Member

this build has convinced me to keep my is2 estate. foooooooking love it.

want an altezza bumper and skirts on mine now also. and coilovers, and some rims...

thanks... lol

16. DtheBUK

DtheBUK Active Member

whats the plan then pete? Just gunna buy another complete box? wheres the turbo at?

17. Pete_the_Russian

Hah! Glad I could help ;)

Mr DtotheB, my plan is....

Fit front suspension and align the car

Get the turbo housing fitted, which should be here this week

And take it to the weekender with the whining box and abuse it until it blows up. Im sure someone will be kind enough to tow me back to Aberdeen :D
    I havent got the time or the money to find another box now. But straight after the weekender its getting garaged in any case, so im gonna sort the box out over winter. Probably get a fresh altezza one and bolt it straight in. No more is200 boxes for me, I think :no:

Few small things to do before that as well. Need to fit the boost controller, change the oil, fit a tow hook and sort some wheels and tyres out.

18. bigniks

bigniks Member

I can give u a lift back if u want

19. Pete_the_Russian

Does that include my car? :D :D

20. bigniks

bigniks Member

No not towing the altezza with my hopefully new car