Minty.Fresh Boosted Altezza

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Pete_the_Russian, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Pete_the_Russian

Got my hopes up there man :D I aint leaving my car behind

2. Pete_the_Russian

Got the turbo housing delivered just now and had a quick look and the first thing I notice that it felt really small. Went outside to compare it to the one on the car and yes, it is a bit smaller :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is a TD04H housing which is exactly the same as the Greddy one I have at the moment. It seems like it has a much smaller cross sectional area inside the housing. Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Will it be too restrictive when I fit it?

You can see on the pictures by looking near the waste gate flap how the new one has much less material around it. And there is much less clearance between the downpipe flange and the housing itself on the Greddy one as its much chunkier.

3. twiglett

twiglett Active Member

so what housing is on your car at the moment? 19t or smaller?
    I think the only reason the altezza specific kit has a larger exhaust housing is so it copes with the higher flow at high revs.
    im guessing you would need to get it re-tuned to get the best out of it as it will spool up quicker.

4. Pete_the_Russian

16t compessor is on the car at the moment. Do you reckon the new housing will introduce any negative effects?

5. twiglett

twiglett Active Member

I suppose all you can do is try it and see*.

as its a smaller housing it might affect the boost pressure as the same amount of gas will be in a smaller space so it will move quicker and possibly get boost creep (im not too sure on how it all works tbh)

*disclaimer. if it damages something or your car spontaneously combusts then its not my fault. :D

6. Pete_the_Russian

Ive reached a stage where I no longer give a fuck :D Its getting fitted and taken to driftland. If it blows up, then its just more work to do over winter.

It seems like the turbo will spool quicker but it would also create more backpressure. The boost might kick in lower in the rev range....hmmmm

7. water

water Member

Man love this car !

8. Pete_the_Russian

Just had a quick talk with one of my friends that works for Perkins and from a group discussion it was decided that as long as the car does not run above the boost that it was mapped for, it should be ok. The map should compensate for the increased airflow to meet the afr at lower rpm since the turbo is now likely to spool a bit quicker. So with that, I am getting it fitted as soon as I get back home. That will be one more thing to tick off my list.

9. Bolf

Bolf Resident Nut Job.

Keep at it dude , I'm following this a little bit as I am gonna be putting a beams in one of my cars soon :D

10. Pete_the_Russian

Do it man! I must say, I do love the Beams :D :D Does the job really well

11. mint

mint touch my fruit

;) lol. Good effort man.

12. daves14

daves14 New Member

Loving the thread mate, wouldn't happen to still have the coilovers would you?

13. sxnutter

sxnutter Member

love this car mate :-). got an is200 gearbox on ebay starting at 25quid if you know anyone who want a spare.bargin need shot of it taking up space.can pm me if anyone intrested

#113 sxnutter, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  14. the hat

the hat Active Member

You coming too drift land on the 23rd Pete

15. Pete_the_Russian

Probably not man :( Im saving my days off for the trip to Mother Russia ;)

16. Pete_the_Russian

Some updates from the last couple of days.

Got the cracked wheel repaired

[​IMG]

Then yesterday got around to swapping the turbo housings. Started out fine... But then things started to go wrong

Nuts werent coming off for some reason and started unscrewing the studs

[​IMG]

I thought "ok, not too much of a problem". Just as I thought that, it started pissing it down...So I started crying, packed up and went inside the house:wack:

Got back from work today and went at it again. This time with slightly better weather conditions. Also with slightly different methods...

[​IMG]

Not too long after had the turbo out...with more nuts pulling out the studs

[​IMG]

Neighbours get treated with this view pretty ofter

[​IMG]

So.... got to the important part...fitting the housing and was slightly disappointed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The new housing center bore is smaller than the greddy, even though they are both TD04H's. So the turbine wheel did not fit inside.
    Felt like running into the middle of the road and jumping in front of a car at this point... But the road was quiet, so that was put on hold.

So I sat down and had a think about this... And decided to get the waste gate flap to sit flush with the housing and run the busted turbo. Got some primer to spray and see where the excess material will need to be removed.

Took a while... still shit :o

[​IMG]

But after a few hours I got to a point where it was better than before and sealed all the way around....just

[​IMG]

Its not perfect, but I have no other options. If it works then Im skidding at Driftland...If it doesnt, see you next year. Gonna get it fitted back to the car tomorrow and see how it goes. If I'm honest, I dont believe that it will work and the car will still be down on power big time.

17. Pete_the_Russian

Another fun filled weekend has passed :nod:

Most tedious thing Ive had to do in a while :o Got some valve grinding compound and went at the wastegate

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final result turned out to be an improvement of what it was like previously

[​IMG]

Decided to also grind away some excess material to make the flow better from the wastegate

[​IMG]

All bolted up along with tactical boost controller placement on the strut brace :D

[​IMG]

Turn of the key and we have horrendous clicking sound. Jites said it was the manifold leaking, I said the turbo was fucked.. So off it comes again and Jites was right

[​IMG]

One of the studs was really loose, and upon closer examination it turned out that it stripped the thread inside the block... So it is true...Bad things do happen in threes :nod:

Once again I weighed up my options and decided to make it work with minimal effort. Since the car is coming off the road next month, I might as well make the most of it driving it and not pulling things apart.

Plenty of threadlock on the stud, and back in it goes. The other nuts on the manifold were tightened up and everything got put back together.... Much better! No more clicking...(Apart from this morning when it was pretty cold, but I can live with that)

Next I set up the boost controller and started to try to make it hold boost. Put a lot of tension onto the wastegate using the adjuster so it seals tight. Messed around with the boost controller and was finally getting some results.

Decided to stop at 0.45bar just to be safe. That should be enough

[​IMG]

Tidied everything up

[​IMG]

Hope it all holds up. Lots of work cut out over winter. I want to ditch the Greddy turbo and stick some generic turbo in that I will never have problems finding spares for again. Probably will need to pull the manifold off and helicoil the block to hold the manifold tight. Engine might need to come out for that :rolleyes:

So this week will need to sort out the front suspension and everything should be ready for skids.

The dinky turbo housing has already found a use

[​IMG]

18. Jites

Jites Active Member

I like your pen holder.

gutted that it wasn't the right housing. has that stud held ok?

19. Pete_the_Russian

Heard a few ticks this morning when I started the car. So its still blowing slightly, but it shouldnt cause too much of a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

But nowhere as bad as it was on Saturday! That was just savage!

20. Jites

Jites Active Member

ah, not good. the gaskets probably had it as well :(

As long as its better than saturday. that didnt sound healthy haha!