Minty.Fresh Boosted Altezza

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Pete_the_Russian, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Pete_the_Russian

Ideally I wanted to pull the manifold off and reseal the gasket...But figured that it will end up in tears if one of the studs snaps off in the block or something :D This time Im going with the theory 'if its broke, dont touch it' :D Might make it worse.

Jesus! I should just pull out from the weekender and get it all done properly. Hate cowboying shit, this is very different from my usual ways of doing things. Better be worth it in the end

2. bigniks

bigniks Member

Will Exhaust paste help?

3. peterpan101

peterpan101 Member

question.
    if you had to do it again, would you turbo the beams? or go with a jz swap

4. Pete_the_Russian

Exhaust paste could help, but that would involve pulling the manifold which could result in breaking studs. So im not going to go there.

If I had to do it again?....hmmmmm, I do love the turbo on this engine. But getting more power out of this engine is not very cost effective. I think a jz swap is much better value for money, and I will definitely be going down that route in the next few years.

5. twiglett

twiglett Active Member

I hate 3sge+t's they are shit and expensive and always break and you can't get bits for them and they have aids.

I'm sure when mine is working properly my opinion will change though.
    If I was to start again I would buy an is200 with a blown engine for £200 and bolt a decent Sr20 or 1uz into it.
    But I can't start again because I have spent all my money on the altezza.

Pete if you do find a generic turbo that fits and performs similarly to the .td04 let me know because I'm dreading the day that mine goes pop.

6. Pete_the_Russian

7. Pete_the_Russian

Im thinking a T28 and weld a corresponding flange onto the downpipe. Cut into the rad hoses for the cooling since they run both oil and water. Should bolt straight up to the greddy manifold since they have the same flange.

8. twiglett

twiglett Active Member

I'm sure there is a proper coolant feed kit for the blitz turbo kit so wherever the feed comes from on the block can be found out from that.

I would quite like to put a v-band on the top of the downpipe so I can make a one piece exhaust and not worry about lining everything up perfectly.
    Would make it a lot quicker to work on anything turbo related as well.

9. Pete_the_Russian

Yea, it needs a bit of research which I havent really bothered with yet. But this situation has annoyed me, need a setup that you can easily replace and not wait for months for parts to arrive. How hard is it to get a v-band on there? Just need a right turbo I guess?
    Also thinking of some way you can run an external waste gate setup without modifying the manifold. Maybe a machined spacer between the turbo and manifold could work? With an external waste gate bolted on?

10. twiglett

twiglett Active Member

Look up Mr2 t3-t4 turbo adapters

11. Pete_the_Russian

Yea, something like that would make life much easier :) They dont seem to come in T2 size though

12. FOSSIL FUELS

FOSSIL FUELS Member

That is so nice... (looks in to getting IS200 sprayed white)

13. andystrat

andystrat Member

Car has got a wicked stance! Well done dude wicked looking car!

14. Pete_the_Russian

Tidied up the garage a little bit yesterday in preparation for the car. Will need to throw some more stuff out to get enough space to work on it over the winter.

[​IMG]

Got a new parcel delivered with some skid wheels

[​IMG]

And decided to prep the hubs and knuckles to be fitted this weekend

[​IMG]

Fits ok

[​IMG]

And still have enough clearance to stop any rubbing

[​IMG]

Will need to chop the ball joints off the old knuckles, grind the bolts down to 65mm and get it fitted. String the car up and get it aligned. Hopefully it will be as straight forward as I make it out to be :p

15. Jites

Jites Active Member

255's....:no:

The hubs and arms look decent, Im going to try and get fishing line for alingment on saturday, Ive been playing with trigonometry again, think i know what setting to use

Let me know when your free later, tyre raid tomorrow?

16. Pete_the_Russian

Lol, those 255s are of no use to me. Gonna give them away to my housemate for his wagon.

Ive got fishing line man ;) Im prepared. Bought two new tyres yesterday, but could use some more :D Got about 4 fresh sets to skid on now. Need to steal Mints roof rack :p

- - - Updated - - -

Im just gonna run zero toe all round

17. Pete_the_Russian

The turbo holds steady boost at 0.5 bar right now so Im mega happy with that. Full boost kicks in much sooner than before at around 2.8-3K rpm. Manifold still crackles when its cold, but once everything is nice and hot it doesnt seem to leak.

So happy to have the car back working properly, even if it is for a short period of time. Been granny shifting it around for 6 weeks and haven't actually put my foot down all the way during that time.

18. twiglett

twiglett Active Member

whack it up to 0.8 and you will notice a huge difference. on bumpy roads it feels like mine is going to do a wheelie when i put my foot down at 1bar.

my manifold leaks for about a minute while its warming up and so does the down pipe to turbo joint.
    new gaskets made no difference so im presuming the downpipe flange is slightly warped.

you still got that straight through exhaust? i need a new one to fit to the new downpipe.

19. Pete_the_Russian

I pulled the pipe from the actuator to check the wastegate. 0.7bar straight up just as soon as i touched the pedal. Was pretty savage. I want that type of boost full time :D Gonna get it running at least 0.7 after the turbo swap.
    You checked the manifold nuts? They can be loose, mine were a few turns away from tight when i checked.

I am going to be fitting the straight through over the winter to my car. And its the only thing I have at the moment that I can use as a reference to fix my downpipe to.

Did you buy that custom downpipe from a chap on tezzaworld?

20. twiglett

twiglett Active Member

I'm going to be buying the downpipe and the d2 brakes on payday .
    The bolts are all tight and the studs are new so it's definitely tight.
    I m going to replace the whole exhaust from the turbo back with 3"stainless tube with one or two joins so it doesn't catch on everything.
    Should be LOUD.