Minty.Fresh X Project-G Roadster

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by mint, May 6, 2010.

1. GripGambler

GripGambler Deal With It!

Im liking how this is coming on dude!

2. mint

mint touch my fruit

Thanks everyone - its pretty marmite tbh. I just drive it hard alot, and love it.
    As for the lip that one in the pics up top got binned ages ago sitting in with all my old s-body broken aero and random wheels haha! :p Iv got a brand spanking new Garage Vary lip in garage painted and ready to fit. :p Its like a solid plastic in stead of fiberglass so 'should' with stand the brunt of a tractor tyre at crail.. i hope haha.

Yeah man i know what you mean, However I have to be honest. Im not a fan of the OE ride height of the MX5. In the same way I HATE the softpart of it, Iv lowered this as much as I can go without making it un drivable to the limits out here.

It handles better than anyone of my mates cars hand down still - and there has been very little that can shake this car on the back roads to and from work.
    I dont feel I have suffered at all if im honest - tied in with amazing tyres and braces, this thing is like a go-kart, it just lacks power massive!

After fitting the ARC intake I seem to notice the RPM dosnt pick up low down so much as it did before, but iv got alot more up the rev range, im not sure what else iv done however its not feeling right for drifting since I played about with it all, so im going to have to fine tweek a few things before im happy.

Thanks for the kind words guys! Really is a fun car, if not really really slow :p haha

3. Tekno-Twinky

Tekno-Twinky Member

ha thing is kewwwwl!:nod:

hey minty what site/s do you use for little things like the true jap air freshner/stickers among other "tyte" products?? keep it up get some slideing shots!

4. mint

mint touch my fruit

just got my tyres fitted :) Pretty happy.

[​IMG]

8.5" Watanabe - TOYO R888 185/60/14
    [​IMG]

An easy fit - not much stretch :/
    [​IMG]

8" Longchamp - Bridgestone RE030 165/55/14
    [​IMG]

Took a minute..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Broke a valve :/
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Need more spacers up front now and down some more.

5. Struggle

Struggle Active Member

fuck me STRETCH!!!!!!! :)

6. mazdachris

Are you going to have R888s on the rear and the Bridgestones on the front? Won't that be understeery as hell?

I've had loads of different combinations of tyres on Roadsters and can definitely say that in my experience having mismatched tyres front to rear always causes shonky handling.

7. mint

mint touch my fruit

well isnt that a little obvious? :p
    Im not too concerned to be fair. Iv now got a daily driver, So i plan to use this more so for just drifting and shows. So it means I can stick the Toyo's on the front and what ever I can find on the back for drifting. Then roll round on these when i want it to be washed :D

Plus I couldnt find decent tyres all round in these sizes and i was eager to try out the 888's

8. mazdachris

888s are good but you'll find them a bit odd combined with regular road tyres. The grip characteristics as the temperatures increase, are quite different to a sports tyre. Start off relatively low grip then as the heat build the grip suddenly ramps right up, while a sports road tyre has a more consistent level of grip in all temperatures.

I've also drifted with R888s on the front and cheaper tyres on the back, and to be honest I didn't really get on with them so well. That was mostly at Santa Pod. Weirdly enough, I found i was actually unable to get them up to temperature well enough in the short runs you take, and as a result I got a lot of graining on the tyre surface and quite a lot of understeer.

Best ones I had on the front were Goodyear Eagle F1s but you can't find them in good sizes these days.

I guess with your tyre sizes you can probably play around a bit more with pressures than I was able to, so you might be ok. But my experience with the 888s was basically that when I was hammering the car within the limits of grip, and they were on the front and rear and nice and hot, they gave absolutely amazing levels of grip. In most other situations though, I didn't think they were that brilliant. I get the impression they need a slightly heavier car to 'turn them on' for use with drifting.

9. mint

mint touch my fruit

bugger :( hmm, well im lucky in ways we get an average of 15minutes out if we like so should get up to temp .. well, i hope. lol.

10. mazdachris

Well, suck it and see. If it comes to it you could always get a spare set of wheels (assuming you don't have one already) with some half decent tyres on the front ones which you use for drifting, and just use those wide wheels for hard parking.

Though obviously a set of standard daisies are going to look kinda comical. You could pick up a set of rotas second hand with decent tyres on for a couple of hundred quid.

11. mint

mint touch my fruit

yeh this is true. Luckily the fronts i took off where not too bad, still 5mm tread left so i can always put them back onto the rims and use them for up front. We'll see. However this stretch looks weak! I need to do something with this height and archs pronto!

12. jap-si

jap-si Active Member

average 165 tyres on the front, and r888 185 on the rear. :wack: :smash::smash::smash: :no: :rolleyes:

13. mazdachris

Don't you have a welded diff as well? I sense massive understeer in your near future ;)

Regarding the stretch, to be honest I'd mug it off. I reckon tiny wheels with loads of stretch looks pretty gash, and makes your wheels look really small. Chunky balloon tyres are where it's at, with fat sidewalls. Better handling as well.

14. mint

mint touch my fruit

Welded diff? Nah mate it's an uprated diff.

Yeh each to their own :)

15. AllanOrr

AllanOrr Member

Mint this thing is nearly as mental as your S15 :thumbs:

16. jeimuzu

jeimuzu New Member

What side skirts are they? I see 180sx but what type? They look ridiculously tasty. Most of the mx5 skirts I've seen are fairly dire.

Diffuser does a good job of making the car look just that little bit more mental. Love this car.

17. Chan Dapman

Chan Dapman Active Member

Hahaha this is fucking retarded! In a good way!
    You taking it to wembley? I want to take some pictures!

18. Aristo

Aristo Active Member

Thats pimp! check out that sretch

19. Gary.

Gary. Member

stretched R888s?

fcuk this gay earf

20. Captain Muppet

Captain Muppet Pro-tard

Your sentance needs more words, and your words need other letters in them.