MK2 MX5 typical upgrade path advice

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by K11NGSLEY, Aug 10, 2020.

1. K11NGSLEY

K11NGSLEY New Member

Looking at getting a MK2 MX5 1.8is.

Totally standard, manual with factory LSD. Hopefully that’s a decent base model to work with.

Looking to upgrade to daily driver & basic drift day spec. So it just needs to slide enough on the odd track day so I can learn the basics and have a bit of fun.

Can someone point me in the right direction for typical upgrade path on a moderate budget. I’m sure there is a member on here or sticky with this sort of info I just can’t find it!

Moderate budget meaning I am happy not to buy cheap eBay rubbish so it’s actually a decent usable car but I also do not need top end parts as it’s not an out and out drift car.

Not interested in power upgrades if not necessary at this stage. Would rather learn in a slow car than something I can’t handle!

Thank you

2. Seabod

Seabod Member

Service
    Welded diff (IF lsd is no good)
    Seat
    coilovers
    Replace bushes in usual areas
    Strengthen chassis (door bars are meant to make a big difference)
    A proper alignment

3. K11NGSLEY

K11NGSLEY New Member

Hi @Seabod - Thank you for the reply

I wasn't overly clear in what I was asking there. I have never drifted before but am competent with a spanner so know which items will most likely need addressing.

I was after a list of tried and tested parts so I can start pricing up the build and where to start!

4. Seabod

Seabod Member

In that case there are plenary of mx5 project on here so go see what people have done / things that have worked. Common coil over are HSD as for everything else there are loads of different ( tried and tested ) parts

5. K11NGSLEY

K11NGSLEY New Member

Yep - looking at lots of threads to see what other have done and there are many around like you say but if anyone does have a similar sounding build that they have worked on and would recommend a read through then please post a link for me so I can take a look.

Cheers