mx5 straight through exhaust

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by nos4speed, Dec 26, 2012.

1. nos4speed

nos4speed Member

Hey, does anyone run their mk1 mx5 with a straight through exhaust? Just wondering if its loud or silly loud? Im tempted to get one fabbed but dont know if it will be too loud for track regulations?

2. oli_the_thread

Mine was decaf and straight through to,the back box and was on the border of being too loud really for day to day duties

3. mr agility

mr agility Member

I had stright through and it was loud lol

4. eastley

eastley Member

I had a straight through, wouldn't say it was too loud, very raspy higher up the rev range.

5. jonofd3

jonofd3 Active Member

Made a system using an old impreza exhaust & fuck was it loud!! Ended up putting a bung in the end to shut the fucking thing up!
    Straight through is like a pissed off wasp...... not plesant!!

Jono

6. nos4speed

nos4speed Member

Im basically thinking a straight pipe from manifold all the way back, i might just try it and if its stupid loud i guess i can get a silencer put in somewhere :p

7. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

spastic loud.

and unless the mx5 is massively fast you will just look like a cunt with a slow gay car making a massive noise.

both my mx5s ive kept the exhaust standard for that very reason.

nothing gayer than a car making a ton of noise while barely moving. apart from maybe a gay looking car doing that.

8. dacky20

dacky20 Member

mines straight with a 421 manifold, the backbox is pretty big but its still mega loud but sounds good still

9. m1tch

m1tch Member

My mark 1 had a straight through, it was ok in idle, was quite loud when under load eg pulling away but when not under load it didn't drone or make much noise, sounded amazing after about 4k revs lol there was definatly some extra punch at the top end with the exhaust and the timing change.

10. Marcar

Marcar Well Spoken Man
    Staff Member

I've come across many straight piped mx-5 and it's just retarded. I like a sporty exhaust but there is nothing nice about 120+db rasping out of a little MX-5.

I'd recommend a good manifold, cat bypass/decat and a good back box. That way you have enough of a performance upgrade, but without ruining your life in traffic jams.