Mx5 tuning

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Kyleton7, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Kyleton7

Kyleton7 Member

I've got a 93 1.6 , what tuning can I do for performance , without installing blower or a turbo kit ,?

Would polishing and porting heads work ?
    Full exhaust , obviously minimal
    What kind of induction would work ?
    Bigger injectors?

Also if u already had a stand alone ecu , can u remap it on stock engine ? Or does it need a turbo kit to be any what mappable ?

2. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Personally I wouldn't bother.

BUT if you determined to, people have got to around 160bhp even from the 1.6 with headwork, cams, exhaust, ECU, and ITBs, but that's a lot of money for not a big gain.

Remapped ECU even on stock engine helps a tiny bit it seems too as the stock ECU is a bit wank.

Chucking in a later 1.8 might be a better bet, 140 from the factory, but even that isn't value for money.

3. Kyleton7

Kyleton7 Member

I will be eventually turbo ing it's just for the meantime it has a slight lack of pulling power from fifth gear at 60 mph lol
    1.8 wouldn't that add weight and technically not add very much power ?
    I've been interested in itb's , but am unsure how they work :/

4. Kelvjy

Kelvjy Member

5th @ 60mph... what kind of pulling power do you expect from a 1.6? The first thing I would get done, is advance the timing, if not already done. You can gain tiny bit of urgency that way. I think you can go from around 9deg to 15deg, be sure to run better fuel though.

5. Nutty

Nutty New Member

Been down the timing, exhaust and air intake route for not a lot of gain, 4 BHP @ 6500rpm to be exact, I have the dyno test.
    You can't remap the stock ECU.
    Done the research on Turbo and super chargers, ITBs, port and polish, head skimming and high lift cams, there is no cheap way to give you that real extra power.
    Don't have the time to go into it at the moment, but, as said, have done the research.
    Preparing to go to Blyton tomorrow with my ITBed MX. Will come back onto this thread Wednesday/ Thursday and let you know how I got on and why I've gone for ITBs.

6. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

That's because you should be in 3rd.

7. OllieEN

OllieEN Member

+1
    The 1.6 engine is a revvy little thing, the mx isn't meant to be a top speed oriented kind of car anyway...
    Enjoy the car how it was meant to be enjoyed, by latebraking all the corners. If the power is needed for drifting then it's common knowledge that you have to work hard to get an mx5 to skid but it's wholly rewarding, if it's for fast driving then it's all about carrying your speed rather than having impeccable acceleration & braking.
    If you want cheap RWD top speed get a 328 E36/330 E46 ;)

Also: hurrah for stav's ukdmness

#7 OllieEN, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  8. Kyleton7

Kyleton7 Member

Haha no , just I had a 1.6 golf sr 8v and it wasn't any slower than the mx , with the mc being dohc I would have expected it to be quicker than a golf with 5 less bhp and a lot more weight

It was more a , what can I do untill I get a turbo kit , question :)

9. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

If you're driving it at 60mph in 5th it prob isn't any faster than a 1.6 Golf.

If you driving it properly and its still no faster, your MX5 is fucked.

Regardless though, MX5s are slow, but I'd be amazed if you can even drive it to 20% of its limits, engine tuning is a bit of a waste of money, esp as I presume you on a drift forum as you wanna drift it.

10. Kyleton7

Kyleton7 Member

I'm willing to put money into it , this is the car I've chosen that I wanted to modify , learning little niggly bits for tuning are always appreciated , for future referencing :)

11. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

What has been done to the car already?
    What are your plans to what you're gonna do with it? (ie not mods, actual driving or whatever)
    Shiz like this will help people guide you the right way.

Though if you're dead set on tuning first, crack on.

12. Kyleton7

Kyleton7 Member

, lowering springs
    Full mani down stainless 2.25
    Gv lip that's about it
    Well I'm planning on a few track days , and I'm not interested in drifting as a sport , just the odd past time,
    Long term plans are turbo , obviously everything else upgraded with it

Then work on the interior and exterior of car ,
    I'm putting a good bit of money into it , I know I won't get it back , but I want to do it to this car :)

13. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

If you want to use it for track and drift use there's a shit ton of things well worth doing long before turboing the car.

14. Kyleton7

Kyleton7 Member

1.8 brakes ? 1.8 fly
    , chassis struts ?
    Coil overs , good tyres , clutch upgrade ?
    What else ?

15. Kyleton7

Kyleton7 Member

I've heard the 6 speed gear box is good for track , what sort of difference do they make , if anyone knows ?

16. Hexa-dB

Hexa-dB Member

I'm far from an expert and this is just my opinion (bored at work)...

Just drive it on a lot of track days (or drift days) and get some tuition. It's boring advice but it will make more difference than anything shiny.
    Give it a good service, make sure everything is working as it should be and nothing is seized/leaking/broken. Check the brake callipers aren't binding, check for oil leaks (especially the rear cas seal that leaks oil onto heater hoses and perishes them). Decent tyres if it doesn't already have them. All that stuff.

Maybe go for some decent brake pads & fresh fluid, and maybe upgrade to 1.8 brakes if you still feel the need (I believe you just need the carriers and not the calipers, do a search on mx5nutz to confirm). The other thing is a bucket seat, harnesses and roll bar. I can't be bothered with the hassle of a bucket/harnesses (it's my daily) so I did the "foamectomy" to make the standard seats more supportive, and bought a CGLock which works quite well.

I wouldn't bother upgrading the clutch until you turbo it unless it needs doing. I'm not sure if there's any advantage in fitting a 1.8 fly but a lightened one might make it more responsive. The 6-speed gives you more choice of gears so you can keep the revs closer to the optimum point for each corner. It may also be stronger - not sure - but it is a lot more expensive, like £250 rather than £40 or so for a 5 speed.

Here's a guide to the timing thing mentioned above (google for "14 degree timing mod" and there's tons of guides/videos)
    Guide - Mk1 1.6 Timing Mod - Guides: Engine - MX5Nutz Forum

If you're feeling flush you could get Blink Motorsport to take a look... BLiNK Motorsport

Having said all that, I stuck coilovers and a back box on mine. They don't make it any faster but it looks and sounds nicer. :D

17. Kyleton7

Kyleton7 Member

;) thanks dude , will have a look at all that later , I've heard the 1.8 fly can take the extra hp from turbo and it is lighter , that's why I asked the question :)

18. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

How much power a car has has nothing to do with the flywheel.

The reason people sometimes fit a 1.8 flywheel is because a 1.8 clutch is stronger, and then you can use the 1.8 clutch if you have a 1.8 flywheel.

The 1.8 flywheel is heavier than a 1.6.

No reason to do the above these days considering all the cheap uprated 1.6 clutches around anyhow.

6 speed gearbox is usually only bothered with when going for 300bhp+ as its stronger, the gearchange is slower and shitter than the 5spd.

19. Kyleton7

Kyleton7 Member

Ah , more light on the question , thanks :)
    I'll be happy putting out 220 at the wheels

20. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

I kinda agree with Stav on this. Recently replaced my Mk2 with a Mk2.5 Sport with the 6 speed box. Crunches a bit into 2nd and it's easy to mis-shift until you get used to the box and even then it still happens now and then. :p

Ian. :)