MX5 turbo on a budget

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by huwbertoo, Dec 12, 2013.

1. huwbertoo

huwbertoo Member

So my friend recently picked up a 1.8 mk1 mx5, we are looking to turbo it but all the turbo kits seem kind of pricy apart from the eBay ones but I'm not sure those are such a good idea, basically what I'm looking for is some advise as the best was to go on turboing the 5 on a budget, is there a turbo checklist anywhere, realistically can it be done for about a grand, any tips and advice is much appreciated thanks.

2. Phil Mann

Phil Mann Member

It's going to depend on the spec you want to have. Can be done for a few hundred quid.

You're best off having a look on MX5Nutz as this question has been asked loads of times and their is information on every spec/budget you can think of.

3. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

a grand should be more than enough to turbo it, ive seen kits go for half that on ebay

4. alexevans

alexevans Member

Problem is if you go budget build, you go yeah that's great, then want more boost and realise you need to spend the full amount again just to raise it as you have constricted yourself with shit parts.

£1090 should see you a decent 2nd kit. £700 got me all the heavy parts of T25 kit and an Emanage Blue with injectors.

Dont buy an ebay stainless manifold.

5. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

I have a friend with a 95% decent setup but a Chinese ebay manifold which is constantly blowing and needing re-welding. Don't scrimp on this part! :)

6. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

I have some 315cc 7mge injectors for 40 quid plus postage if your interested :)

7. alexevans

alexevans Member

I may have them actually, are they low ohm's?

8. Mikesx13

Mikesx13 Member

I wouldn't bother asking on there personally, they'll likely tell you it can't be done for less than £2.5k, much better sticking to advice on here if you want a cheap and cheerful set up.

9. Phil Mann

Phil Mann Member

You don't even need to ask anything, just use the search button.