My AE86 aka Black Betty!!!!!

Thread in 'Drift cars for sale' started by Black Betty, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Betty

Black Betty Bamalam

Well I said to myself I would never do it, but here we are! After 5 years of ownership of my much loved and now modified AE86 it has come time to sell it! This is not an easy decision for me as this car has been my entire life for the past half a decade, every penny and spare minute I have had has gone into it!
    I could talk about it for weeks, but I will just note the important stuff. All I can say is that I personally think you wont find a better prepared and cared for 86! There are many out there which are more modified than mine, I know this, but the attention to detail that I have put into this is second to none (not that I am blowing my own trumpet) but it really does capture the crowd, and people who see it don't believe it gets used in anger, as its still so immaculate.
    I have competed in Hillclimbs and sprints for the past 2 years and done many track days. This year I competed in the ASWMC hillclimb championship, where I won my class, 1st year out, not knowing any of the venues and also came in the top 10 in the overall ASWMC championship standings. So it is a very competitive car.

The car is MSA log booked, so it can be used for many different genres of motor sport! It would be perfect for any tarmac event, Inc rallying, once the coilovers are wound up abit and softer springs fitted.

This Saturday just gone (3/11/07) I have just put 12 months MOT on it and 6 months tax. I also changed the engine oil and oil filter (genuine filter of course) and I run nothing but 10/40w Castrol GTX Magnatec in the engine. I changed the gearbox and LSD oil. I also changed the brake and clutch fluid with Dot 5.1 racing fluid, so it is ready to be driven away.
    Now even though the car didn't need it due to it was an immaculate one owner from new car when I bought it, I just went over the top when rebuilding it and there is nothing mechanically on this car that hasn't been replaced by a new item apart from the rear axle case, prop shaft, 4 links, tie rod brackets and engine crossmember. Even stuff like half shafts and steering rack casings are brand new.
    All nuts/bolts and fittings are brand new; most being stainless steel aswell for a nice finish and no rust issues! Not all bolts are stainless, due to some need to be high tensile steel!

All the work was carried out by myself as I have been a Toyota Technician for over 8 years now, and I don't trust anyone else to carry out the work, as I am very fussy and picky (probably a perfectionist Haha) And as I work for Toyota, nothing but OEM parts have been fitted. Not that there is many standard parts left on the vehicle.

Spec List:

I am only the 2nd owner of this AE86! It was originally owned by a now ex. policeman, so it has always been looked after, and maintained with no expense spared. It has never been in an accident, and I have a lot of documentation for the vehicle including every MOT certificate since its 1st one back in 1989!!!

UK model 1986 Toyota Corolla GT AE86, which was stripped down to a bare shell, de-rusted (there was minimal welding required when I stripped it down) and waxoyled (it has been waxoyled every year since I rebuilt it). All sound deadening removed. All mechanical components such as all suspension parts axle/crossmembers/4 links/prop shaft and every other bracket on the car shot blasted and powder coated in black.
    Then a full 6 point Safety Devices roll cage was fitted, with door bars and cross diagonals.
    Brand new front wings, brand new wheel arch trims all round. Fibreglass Bonnet and Kevlar boot lid held down with alloy bonnet pins, polycarbonate rear window, zenki (early spec) front sidelights, brand new kouki (late spec) redline rear lights. Zenki grille. Brand new headlights.

Silver Top 20 valve VVT with 4 individual throttle bodies, 4AGE engine, which I stripped down prior to fitting, and fitted all new seals/gaskets and bearings. The original re-circulating breather system that went back into the inlet track has been blocked and redirected to an external catch tank. It is running on Omex 500 separate engine management system with distributor removed and converted to coil pack. T3 alloy 75mm long trumpets with ITG sock filters, Janspeed 4 branch manifold and custom made longlife stainless steel under axle single box exhaust system. Which averages 98-99 Db on noise tests, so you wont have any noise issues on any motorsport event! The throttle bodies make more noise than the exhaust!
    16 row mocal oil cooler with stainless braided pipes, mocal sandwich plate with built in oil stat.
    New Toyota Radiator, Samco hoses, electric cooling fan with adjustable water stat.

Transmission:
    Fully rebuilt gearbox with new synchro bulk rings, shift forks/keys/springs, 2nd and 3rd gears and all the seals, along with a must have TRD gear knob. Rebuilt shifter, with T3 delrin bushes. Complete Helix competition paddle clutch, brand new clutch master and slave cylinder with stainless braided hose between!
    4.3 crown wheel a pinion with a freshly rebuilt (less than 100 miles ago) very tight OEM LSD.

Suspension includes:
    Front: TRD coil over legs (shot blasted and powder coated blue) along with AGX 4 way adjustable short stroke shockers eibach 8kg springs, cusco adjustable camber plates, Battle version 35mm negative camber RCA's (roll centre adjusters) Brand new lower track control arms. Whiteline alloy strut brace. TRD anti-role bar, with new stab links.

Rear: T3 rear coilovers with 5kg eibach springs, Whiteline adjustable Panhard rod, no rear A/R/B as it makes the car too skitish at high speed.

Suspension polybushed all round with Superflex bushes.

Brand new inner and outer steering rack ends and tie rods.
    Brand new rack/column Universal joint.
    Brand new wheel bearings all round.

Brakes: Brand new master cylinder, Cross-drilled and grooved discs all round with standard Toyota pads for the ultimate in cold braking response, rebuilt callipers all round, stainless flexible braided lines.

Wheels: 13x8 Rota Rims, which look like superlights. Painted in gloss black. They are fitted with Yokohama A048 tyres, which still have plenty of life, left in them,

Interior:
    Fully stripped out Inc heaters/demisters etc, all sound deadening removed. Full 6 point Safety Devices roll cage with door bars and cross diagonals, Sparco Evo L bucket seats with 4 point harnesses. OMP suede deep-dish steering wheel, separate racetech gauges inc, water temp/oil temp and oil pressure, relocated washer bottle above passenger foot well, battery cut off switch, fuel pump and Omex management master switches, alloy foot pedals from Celica T sport.

Basically, everything was brand new when I rebuilt it and the car costs me in excess of £20,000.

The car has been rolling roaded at 154bhp (print out to prove), which for a bog standard 1.6 20v is good going! The throttle response is awesome, and it has an extremely smooth torque curve, and pulls all the way to 8200rpm. I did used to have it set to 8400rpm, but found it was a waste of time, due to max power is at 7950rpm.

The car also weighs 888kg's, which considering it still has all glass (except rear window) and only the boot and bonnet has been replaced with lightweight items, it has the potential to be lightened a lot further! I was planning to get it just under the 800kg mark!

But with 154bhp (that is virtually 100bhp per litre) and 888kg's it has a healthy power to weight ratio of 173bhp. When driving it, it feels like it has more, but that is probably down to the sheer adrenalin you get, with the noise of the throttle bodies and 8000rpm+, hard suspension and go kart handling.

If anyone is interested in viewing the car, I will be more than happy to put it on my ramp at work, so you can see how immaculate it is underneath! It's as good underneath as it is on top and under the bonnet!

Unless you have the money in your hand and an insurance document to prove you can drive the vehicle don't expect to be able to road test it, but I will be more than happy to take you out in it, for a gentle Sunday drive!

I am after £10,000! Or any sensible offer around this price! You may think it is expensive, but you couldn't build it for that, that's for sure!

If there are any questions please don't hesitate to ask, as I am sure I have missed things out! But I can't remember everything I have done to her for the past 5 years.

For any Irish potential buyers, please note i am not far from Bristol Airport if you wanted to travel by air to view/buy the car.

Thanks, Rob.

IMG_3351.
    DSC00107.
    DSC00100.
    DSC00104-1.
    DSC00106.
    DSC00111.
    DSC00116-1.
    DSC00138.

n%20speed%20hillclimb%20plymouth%20motor%20club%205th%20may%202007%20%20%20%20%20%20%2010436_std.
    dunkeswellbetty004.
    betty.
    13s6.
    CastleClimb008.
    DSC00060.
    DSC00061-1.

2. ad4m

ad4m Member

ooohhh so oooo nice

3. jap-si

jap-si Active Member

as if any words were needed. a sad day. bump.

4. Mad Cas

Mad Cas wrecked

If Carlsberg made 86's...

...they would be green, with a white Carlsberg label and taste somewhere between 'bland' and 'shitty'

...This one however, is actually the best in the world.

#4 Mad Cas, Nov 7, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  5. dozzy1989

dozzy1989 Member

Oh dear... that is lush!!!

If only :(

6. Mighty_Mini

Mighty_Mini Go!Go!Auto

It must be a sign, my initials are DAD :O

Bank says nooooo

7. s13rab

s13rab DORI DORI

thats serious cash ...but what a car !!!!

best AE86 around ,sorry to hear u are selling

just hope it goes to someone who is gonna look after it and not do
    donuts around a cone

cheers

rab

8. Ian.G

Ian.G 86 ColdTurkey

So sorry she is having to go Rob.

That is a bargain - it would cost significantly more than that to build if you were about to embark on a restoration project - believe me folks - I speak with first hand knowledge here.

The car is easily worth that price. The cost of the parts is one thing but the sheer amount of time and dedication that has gone into preparing and maintaining that car is priceless. This isn't some thrashed senseless neglected import that's just come off the boat...its a fully sorted car - ready to go with NOTHING needing replacing or repairing.

Very best of luck with the sale brother Rob. :thumbs:

9. rallyman1978

rallyman1978 hachiroku

:( poor Bob - is your bird up the stick or summat ;)

She'll sell quick enough - 20v rallycar went last month for 12k Sterling over to the Emerald Isle so Betty's worth 10K all day long - I'd stick her in the Motoring News classifieds too if I were you and on rally.ie if those lads still have a classified section and possibly in the Pacenotes classifieds aswell

Good luck fella

10. Black Betty

Black Betty Bamalam

Thanks for all the kind words people! Like i said, i didnt think i would ever sell her, but hey life goes on and i gotta turn mildly sensible at some point!

Problem is, i have 2 other car projects (one is another 86) and i also want a house deposit, so that is where betty comes in :(

11. YashioFactory

YashioFactory Active Member

can i ask what is a 20v engine? what is it from? its not a 5 cylinder isit?

12. aw11

aw11 -NIGHTSPIRIT-

this has got to be a wind up!
    your not really selling her are u?

13. Sweeps

Sweeps Active Member

If Carlsberg made an AE86 it would be this car !

Enough said. :worthy:

14. Old Skool Cars

Old Skool Cars Active Member

this thread is gay!

15. eight-six

eight-six Active Member

It will be a sad day for Bob when Betty does go.

I drove this car on Saturday, not only does it have huge amounts of grip the car is composed and balanced in the corners. The engine pulls smooth and cleanley with a good amount of torque - it just pulls and pulls to the redline. Also if anyone wants more power then the OMEX ECU means you are just a ignition advance and a remap away from more power.

I was also under the car on Saturday when it was on the ramps and its amazing, I would be surprised if anyone can find another car used competivley and on the road in the same condition as Betty.

Testement to the owner, the car is in truley fantastic condition and if used competitivley it is capable of producing the goods. It has been built to Nerdish levels - I would defy anyone to find issue with the car its that good.

In my honest opinon it is one of the best AE86's available. If I had the funds then I seriously have to think long and hard about buying it.

Cheers

James

16. Zoomj

Zoomj Is Skint

Noooo! sell the other cars. you suit the car so well! keeeep it.

17. MarkyMark

MarkyMark Member

Hey whats going on! :confused:Why are so many people selling these AE86's, hardly any for sale couple months back, now they seem common, when there not!

What a minter this one is, was planning on buying one next year once i've sold the B3AST(r34gtr)due to funding house extension. Now all these 86's at once! Please no more i might not be able to resist.

How come they've shot up in price over the last year or two, will they always hold there value?

Good Luck with the sale mate.:thumbs:

p.s Great pics but need one of the inside.

18. 20vWill

20vWill Active Member

This car is absolutely amazing. It is the best prepared driver's AE86 I have ever seen and I have seen more than most, and know what I'm looking at.

I know how well built and how well cared-for this car has been. As if it were my own in fact. And having been probably the only privilaged other to have driven it I can wholeheartedley recommend it to anyone.

What a car.

Worth far more than £10,000 to anyone who knows what is what with Corollas, and concours competition cars in general.

What a car.

Can't actually believe you are selling it mate :(

19. Dori Mat

Dori Mat Active Member

can't believe i'm seeing this :cry: but needs must and all that :)

good luck with the sale roberto :thumbs:

20. 86jay

86jay -NIGHTSPIRIT FAMILY-

All the best with the sale Rob thought about selling mine but couldn't do it hahaha

Hope your new one is just as good.

jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.