my e36 320 (must do skids project)

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by dacky20, Jan 13, 2013.

1. dacky20

dacky20 Member

dacky20's e36 drift build

well ive sold the mx5 and went looking for a e36 and tbh i didnt look far as tom (my brother) was selling one on here so i bought it .
    it seems a good base for a decent spec drifter no doubt ill be swapping the engine out soon to a 2.5 or 2.8 for more powers but until i break this one ill keep this and get some skids done at buxton.

so plans are weld the diff up (tomorrow hopefully if the snow keeps of )
    some sort of exhaust
    hopefully have some nice sponsor vinyls made up
    rack spacers 4mm ish
    a good service
    some cheap coilovers
    and strip it as much as i can without completely making it unbearable , then just basically enjoy a larger car for cheap thrills and fun .

so heres the pics from toms advert and the start of a new project thread and hopefully some regular updates

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cheers :thumbs:

#1 dacky20, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013
  2. dacky20

dacky20 Member

well paid for and picked up the car today and got straight on with getting the diff of and weld it .. its was in pretty good nick under-neath and fairly simple to get of and open up !
    [​IMG]
    its a 3.45 not the best in the world but hey weld it anyway
    [​IMG]
    bring on the light (and welders flash lol) tom from team commit performance and paint making sure the diff doesnt shat its pants :p )
    [​IMG]
    a piece of 5mm plate in both side the welded
    [​IMG]

hopefull got a few bits on the way too :)

3. TeamCommit

TeamCommit Member

does anybody know if a 323/328 diff will bolt straight onto a 320i are they the same size diff... I know the 318/316's are smaller, unsure about the 320i though? cheers tom

4. James_w

James_w New Member

The 320 is the smaller diff

5. dacky20

dacky20 Member

cheers fella

6. lyf

lyf Member

316/318/320 small. All the same ratio.
    325. Medium.
    323/323. Medium, same ratios.
    Basically you've got the best diff possible in there pal.

7. dacky20

dacky20 Member

cheers lyf INOTE i did have the best diff possible its shit all over the road yesterday lol ) ive sourced a diff and collecting froma 318is coupe so direct fit

8. TeamCommit

TeamCommit Member

OOOOOOH dear shit all over lol

9. dacky20

dacky20 Member

well i got a diff today to find the retard who sold me it didnt no the difference between a 1994 e36 and a god nose what e46 ...... so picking up another tomorrow from a e36 318 this time !
    so not to have a wasted day i fitted some coilovers not sure what they are brand wise they have yellow springs and yellow dampers so was hoping they are a decent brand ! but they are on the highest setting and its slammed lol ill get pics up tomorrow...

10. dacky20

dacky20 Member

also bought these too so need to get them fitted and strip the interior ect
    [​IMG]

11. lyf

lyf Member

So which one of you team commit cunts is doing odc??? Want to know which ones door to rub at Buxton lol

12. dacky20

dacky20 Member

both of us mate and bring it on big boy ! we will team commit sandwich you :)

i dont mind some decent tyres rubbing its when i get some clown smash into me for shits and giggle lol

13. Olimpus

Olimpus New Member

I wouldn't go for cheap coilovers though :) That's one of the most important aspects in drif car chassis configuration ;) Especialy if you're planning to make something decent out of it) I made that mistake and now I have to replace mine...

I have a qusestion: I have a 328... and my diff went to shit so what is my best shot? Can I get just any diff from any e36?? I heard the one from 318 is the best option...?

#13 Olimpus, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  14. dacky20

dacky20 Member

Mine arnt cheap coilovers lol and a 328 will need the 318 drive shafts and half prop to fit I believe pal the 2.8 only has a 2.9ratio so pretty poor!

15. Olimpus

Olimpus New Member

I just read this thread from the beginning and I'm really lost :( So, 318's driveshack has got the best ratio.. What bout the actual diff? mid size small size.. doesn't tell me anything. I only want to find the best setup there is for drifting made out of stock BMW parts from different models Oo trying to get some help from google right now.. also what is "half prop"..? :)

16. dacky20

dacky20 Member

if you have a 328 only the 323/325.328 differential will fit it but the best standard diff for welding (note you will have to weld to drift on it) is a 318/316 diff but for the diff to fit a 328 you would need the rear half of the prop shaft and both drive shafts too due to the different sizes of the diffs !
    if you are not going to weld it up then its pointless so just buy some lsd !
    the most simple and best for you would be a 325 diff :)

p.s make a thread and and ask my build threads looking like a diff info thread :)

17. Olimpus

Olimpus New Member

ok I see now. Thanks a lot man! :p

18. caged

caged Drift Gibbon

lol love it :wack:

19. TeamCommit

TeamCommit Member

yea this is funny lol... diff wass 100% welded not to break this I can assure... we recovered the welded bits still welded with 5mm plates holding everything together.. We think with the extreme heat and penetration may have weakened the main crown around the welded spider coggs (it did have 160k on the diff dont know if this would effect).. This was in a million bits. We have welded loads of diffs and this is the first one to shit all over.

We have welded another one this evening again we have used 5mm plates and welded the spiders to the inner case like we always do.

I think it was just one of those freak things that happen, although it made a funny conversation when he rang me !!

20. dacky20

dacky20 Member

conversation as follows :
    dacky20: "heyup tom you want to hear something funny ?"
    tom: "whats that then"
    dacky20: " my diff just shit its self and the remains have take a van out behind me"
    tom: what the fuck your joking right
    dacky20: "NOPE"
    tom: ahahhahahahahahahhhaaaaaaahahhahahahahaa where are you ? ive got to see this !
    END OF PHONE CALL LOL

but yeh welded another up today from a low mileage 318is so all should be good :)