My first drift project. Irish volvo 940 estate. Advice welcome.

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Dozzler, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Dozzler

Dozzler New Member

So I've decided to get something cheapish for the track to learn how to drift properly.
    I've owned a few n/a rwd volvos in the past as well as an s13, a jzx81 mark 2 and an r32 gtst but never did more than a few donuts, the odd hairpin bend and some roundabouts.

I've always had a thing for volvos, a nostalgic thing i think as i learned to drive in my dads 740 gle.

Anyways i found this 1998 940 2.3 turbo estate with 155k miles and a fresh 12months nct/mot so i snapped it up quick. It's a shame to track it as there isn't a mark nor a spot of rust on the whole car but i guess its best to start with a decent base.
    She's got the strong m90 gearbox and it was owned by an elderly couple for most of its life so being an lpt 'celebration' model, shouldn't have seen any great abuse.

Snapchat-188075121758592532_zpseu0uzia5.
    20160211_154744_zpsbsr7hlo7.
    20160211_154817_zpskm1qiiwz.

The only things ive done so far are fit a hks superpower intake and strip most of the unnecessary interior out and it's already down 120kgs weight which surprisingly has really improved the acceleration. I cant imagine how it will improve when i get it in a shed with a grinder.

20160211_173618_zpshcgoxavp.

The initial plans to get it sliding comfortably:
    - "stage zero" ie compression test, service, fluid change, general heath check etc.
    - up the boost to around 12psi with a manual boost controller
    - weld the diff
    - bucket seat & harness
    - hydraulic handbrake
    - cut a couple of coils off the springs
    - double rear anti roll bars
    - change the steering wheel
    - 2.5" straight exhaust
    - strip alot more weight off
    - extra lock

Once i get the swing of things and fancy more power i'm considering a 16t off an s60 t5 (opinions welcome), a power chip, bigger intercooler, bigger injectors, better brakes, proper suspension upgrades, upgraded cam, lightened flywheel and a decent clutch. Apparently the standard engine internals and m90 box can withstand up to 350bhp so i wont have to go at them because 250 would be loads for me.

I look forward to hearing from other turbo brick lovers, all ideas, advice and tips are welcome.

Thanks for looking.

#1 Dozzler, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  2. Matt RR

Matt RR Member

great project, looking forward to seeing some vids of it in action :)

3. Olliehood

Olliehood Member

nice man i am in the very final stages of finishing mine coilovers all round solid flywheel and uprated clutch intercooler turbo custom manifold ect ect. give me a pm with your number i will give you a phone and can talk over some stuff if you want see if i can help

cheers

4. Dozzler

Dozzler New Member

Thanks man, yeah i'm very excited to get in action myself. Things can't happen fast enough!

I just had a look at your thread, nice work with the coilovers and flywheel. So is it an early solid 'dogbowl' flywheel machined to suit a new 850 t5 clutch or is it a diesel flywheel? One of my best mates runs a machine shop so if thats a viable option i'd have no issues getting it sorted sooner rather than later.. I'd love to see some pics and info on your other mods you just mentioned too..

5. Olliehood

Olliehood Member

its the diesel dogdish flywheel with the lh2.4 drillings, there is one for sale on volvo forum just now i think, i have documentation on everything but bullshit iphone crap i backed it up to computer now trying to get the photos, pain in the ass. hoping to get the thread updated in the next couple of days.

cheers man

6. Dozzler

Dozzler New Member

Nice one. I'll have a look for that. Keep up the good work. :)

7. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Depending on your machining costs I bought a ttv flywheel, very nicely made and didn't cost the earth.

8. Rubber Killers

Waiting some more pics!

9. rashdi88

rashdi88 New Member

Nice car man I love old Volvo cars. The brick
    All the best bro keep us updated with pics and vids

10. Dozzler

Dozzler New Member

Had a look at their site. Theres a standard lightweight solid version of my standard one. Is this a viable option for drifting as well? Or would it be as strong as the t5 conversion?

Thanks man, i'll do my best. :D

11. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

I bought the one that takes a 850r clutch as they can supposedly handle 400 bhp.
    Fire them an email guys are very helpful.

12. Okoye

Okoye Member

I highly recommend taking a look at the third gear and welding a ring onto it. there's a thread about it on turbobricks. other than that since you have a solid axle in the rear lower the piss out of it and get an adjustable panhard bar.

13. gostt

gostt Member

That's a pretty original car.

Can you find aftermarket parts on that kind of car ?

14. Okoye

Okoye Member

Yup they're modded a lot in the USA, Sweden, Norway, Netherlands and the Uk to name a few places.

15. Dozzler

Dozzler New Member

I've sent them an email but no reply yet.. Sounds like the sensible option though..

I dont quite understand what you mean about the gear? I've the M90 gearbox which are apparently the strongest 5 speed volvo made for these cars..
    Lowering the piss out of it and adjustable panhard bar are two definites though!

^^ What he said.. you'd be surprised how readily available some stuff is too!

16. gostt

gostt Member

Yeah, I'm actually surprised, wouldn't thought so!

17. Okoye

Okoye Member

I'm aware it's the strongest RWD Volvo box as I brought a few in from the UK for my 1991 940se (960) turbo. 3rd gear syncro usually goes bad.

this is the best picture I can find of the fix for that

[​IMG]

18. Catalyst

Catalyst Member

Good cars for modding. I've just put a 16t on mine with the angled flange so I've been able to go 3" all the way from turbo back. I've got the me7 blue injectors from a v70, ecu & fuel chips and am looking out for the larger Bosch 012 AMM.

Suprisingly fast and has shocked a fair few newer motors when the old barge goes past them at full chat. Id say the stage 0 is important especially the vacuum lines. Owners clubs are full of info.

I've got the dogdish just need to get round to fitting it and getting the diesel clutch. The duel mass is too slow and comfortable.

19. Olliehood

Olliehood Member

Diesel clutch is a nightmare to get a hold of better doing what I did. Have a look on my build thread

20. Dozzler

Dozzler New Member

Ah i see. Well that's certainly good to know, i'll have to look up a detailed thread on this mod because if the box is ever out it's one thing that really would be worth spending the extra time on.. thank you!

That sounds like a nice build. Do you have a project thread? How do you find the 16t? I've just come across an almost new one off an v70 t5 for cheap so maybe better jump at buying it..