My PS13 Project....TE37s fitted !

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Lucky_13, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Lucky_13

Lucky_13 Active Member

PS13 Project....

Hi guys thought I'd introduce myself and start a thread to show my new purchase and keep you all upto date with any changes that will be happening over the winter.

I've been well into my drifting for years but spent the last 3/4 years building racecars for the civic cup and m3 cup, helping build and run 2/3 civics and a e46 m3 was great fun, but after selling my civic cup ep3 I decided the time was right for a nice rwd car.

I really wanted an 86 but their price has gone daft recently so I started looking at s13/14s. Top of the s-chassi list for me always has been the PS, such a simple yet stunning design in my opinion. I wanted a car that hadn't been messed with too much as a good base to start, when this PS13 came up for sale within half hour of my house I couldn't say no. Luckily the work that's been done is of a decent standard and the body kit isn't too lairy. Most importantly it's totally rust free. Some of you may know the car as Chris may have been on a few forums with it, I'm not too sure.

It started life as a 1992 PS13 q's sr20de but had a DET fitted at some point in it's life while in Japan. It was imported by DSI early this year. (some may remember it from this Monkey London video -
    )

Anyway it's a fairly decent spec but does need some tlc, current spec is as follows :

Sr20DET redtop
    HKS2530
    555cc injectors
    Z32 afm
    Stainless mani
    Front mount
    GAB coilovers
    Fibreglass bodykit
    GTR grill
    Digi speedo
    Drivers recaro
    5 stud conversion
    4 pot sumimoto r33 brakes
    7twenty style 49 wheels. (18x9.5 et18)
    Greedy profec
    50/50 rear lights
    Driftworks rad

The list of things to do is quite large lol, the dash is cracked pretty badly and will need replacing at some point. The clutch isn't great so I'm swapping that on Saturday. It doesn't have an LSD just a crappy r180 open Diff which I'll weld until I can find a good r200 none ABS Diff/case to build with a two way inside. It also wants a wheel bearing, exhaust gasket and a few other jobs such as mapping due to a slight hesitation. The car also has some paint issues such as microblisters, scratches and general wear making it look tired. Luckily a mate owns his own body shop so it will be gettting a fresh coat of black over the winter too. I may take the engine out and paint the bay while I'm at it.

The overall plan is make it mechanically sound and look tidy and just keep hold of it, maybe I'll do some skid days. I'll be getting used to driving it as much as possible on the road as I've just insured it for a fraction of what I expected to pay thanks to classic insurance which was a bonus.

Anyway that's enough waffling here's a few pics of how it stands ATM. I'll try and keep the thread updated regularly, I'm new to s-body's so any tips/info will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

20170519_140941_zpszjdjskpy.

image_zpsl06m5gon.

image_zpslpqlvxod.

image_zpsgzqp4fos.

image_zpsl7iyhial.

image_zpsttukm4kb.

image_zpsrzswksho.

image_zpsbfatur4p.

#1 Lucky_13, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  2. Gooly

Gooly Member

Issues aside thats a really great looking PS. S14 Kouki boot spoiler would finish it off nicely

3. Lucky_13

Lucky_13 Active Member

Cheers bud, yeah the positives far outweigh the negatives for me. It seems a great base to start with.

It looks and sits really well as it is, with the front down abit more it will be bang on. Once the mechanics are sound I'll look into some bodywork improvements but I don't want to go OTT.

4. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Nice solid car there. And good it had a few small issues, gives you a chance to really get into it and make it yours

What ECU is it running?

5. Lucky_13

Lucky_13 Active Member

Cheers mate. It's currently on a standard sr20det ecu. I'm looking at what option to go with for an ecu+map. I'll probably end up with nistune although it's something I plan on asking on the forum before I decide.

6. Maxim_SC

Maxim_SC Member

My Redtop run with a nistune, and it's perfect :)

7. BenRice

Standard ECU and it has a Z32 afm and 555cc injectors? Must have been chipped at the least

Nistune & mapping will be amazing for this, maybe keep an eye out for some mild Poncams & oil cooler while you're at it :)

8. Lucky_13

Lucky_13 Active Member

Maybe I'm not too sure, it came for Japan like this. Runs well tbh and pulls great when WOT. Hesitates abit on quarter throttle so most people have suggested in needs a ecu/map.

Pulled the diff and box out tonight. New clutch should be here tomorrow and I've a mate welding the diff. Should be back together tomorrow night. I must say it was a joy to work on. Not one seized or rusty bolt underneath.

9. Lucky_13

Lucky_13 Active Member

Now you mention it I've a oil cooler left over from a civic cup build. I'll get it fitted to this....

10. BenRice

Throw a sandwich plate & lines at it and you're away and laughing.

Move the washer bottle to the other side and use the old bottle mount to fit it in front of the RHS wheel - keeps it away from the airflow to the radiator and behind the bumper support. Upside down makes it easier to drain and get the lines to it, and despite what the internet tells you is completely fine for oil pressure. Run the lines under the chassis rail and you're done :)

I made a duct & water sprayer for mine but not necessary at all until temps become a problem

[​IMG]

11. Maxim_SC

Maxim_SC Member

If it comes from Japan there is more chance for a PowerFC ECU.

12. Lucky_13

Lucky_13 Active Member

Nice setup that Ben I'll look at something similar.

13. Lucky_13

Lucky_13 Active Member

Had a day on this on Saturday, whipped the box and diff out. The diff is just a r180 4.8(?) open diff. I welded it anyway for the time being but I am on the looking for a s13 r200 lsd.

I replaced the clutch with a rpc stage 2 as my good friends at tegiwa had them on the shelf so thought I'd give one a go as they were great in the civics. Really impressed with the kit, larger bearing is included and the pressure plate has some serious clamping force but isn't harsh to drive.

Anyway threw it all back together and she's bags of fun now, not sure how long the diff will last, I guess we will find out. The car slides really nice.

Also I forgot to get some pictures of under the car but my god it's clean, everybolt came out with ease, no rust what so ever. I'll have to get some pictures. Credit to the lads at DSI too they really did a good tidy job of underselling the car. It was a joy to work on.

Next jobs are fit the bucket seat and steering wheel I've got coming, alignment, and decide what to do for a handbrake. I'm thinking it may be easier to just go with a hydro as a mate is a hel dealer and can make me new rear lines in no time. Im not too fussed about cutting abit off the centre console if needs be. We will see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. JasonStatus

JasonStatus Member

Looks proper nice dude. Good purchase!

15. 1JZX81

1JZX81 New Member

R180 are fine, mate had one behind his 400hp 1j s13 for years. Only went r200 when the bearings got a little noisey.

16. Lucky_13

Lucky_13 Active Member

Haven't done much with this but got a day on it today. Fitted my steering wheel and seat. I've used these motamec/mirco seats before and there great. Good for the bigger boned to lol. The seats mounted on a driftworks low mount and I've removed the seats bottom foams as I like to sit low as possible.

Also mocked for the hydro and made a plate to mount on which I'll finish and pipe up tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#16 Lucky_13, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  17. BenRice

That looks really uncomfortable

Like enough to motivate a person to get custom rails made up

RIP your tailbone

18. Lucky_13

Lucky_13 Active Member

There not too bad, all buckets I have/have had I remove the lower foam from, used my race car for 18months like that Much better seating position in my opinion.

19. Lucky_13

Lucky_13 Active Member

Not a major update, just a few snaps of the hydro now its plumed and mounted. Plan is to get another centre console to cut up to make it abit tidier.

Next job is to sort the exhaust leak (turbo to elbow,) fit my stainless downpipe and decat to get rid of the stock downpipe/cat as the cars just too quiet ATM. Once that's done it's time to work on the way it sits. Hopefully I'll get the car down an inch or so overall without it being to bad to drive. Then aquire some spare wheels and get to some drift days. I am going to be painting the car but I'll learn to drift it first lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Lucky_13

Lucky_13 Active Member

Haven't done any work on the car but today I got a driftworks delivery, front Geomaster hubs, offset rack spacers, lower control arms and geomaster tension rods. I'm really impressed by the quality of the driftworks stuff. I decided on the DW lock kit as I love the work that they have put into developing the kit and their parts. Any problems, issues and differences when using there parts on different chassis are solved or mentioned in the item description. I've also got a stainless downpipe and decat to fit. Hopefully I'll get it on the ramps this weekend.

Fingers crossed my front coilovers will come up abit to make up for the raised spindles on the geos. I wanted to lower the car an inch anyway so up 20mm in the front coils and down 20mm on the rears it should sit were I want it. I didn't buy rear geo hubs as I don't want too much rear grip due to only running low power. Adjustable rear arm kit is my next purchase to get the alignment were I want it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]