N54 tuning

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by FAbity6032, May 6, 2015.

1. FAbity6032

FAbity6032 Member

BMW 335i tuning

Okay so a 335i is becoming a real good tuning car and people are talking about it beeing the modern day 2jz. Stock motor can handle shit loads of power and the car is becoming cheaper every year. I am just wondering what the best cost efficient way for tuning is because people are already talking about so called "supporting mods" "cold air filter" "exhaust" and bullshit like that while I just want to know what is effective I mean. I am not really looking forward to E85 or Meth or 100octane tuning or something like that either. I Know you can buy a JB4 piggyback ECU which will actually get you 80 extra horses without much fuzz but what if you want more? And is the stock ECU not tune-able? Could you not just get an extra 80horses by just flashing the ECU you already have? So much questions!

#1 FAbity6032, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015
  2. FAbity6032

FAbity6032 Member

It is not that popular yet I guess

3. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Not in drifting. Go on a BM forum, get all the info you need. My mates one is 400bhp+ with stupidly simple tuning, and 550odd is meant to be reliable with hybrid turbos etc.

Expensive as fuck tho, as all new engines are, pricey are rape as fuck as they know the owners mostly have money.

4. zornyan

zornyan Guest

My worry would be the injectors and high pressure fuel pump, not exactly reliable in standard form.

5. ratgreen

ratgreen Member

Id imagine if tuning you would change these if going aftermarket, but then ££££

Also they are pretty high compression ratio, so dropping it would be advisable if going big turbo.

But then you might as well just buy some other 6 cyl and forge/turbo that by the time you have spent that kinda money imo.

6. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

It's a direct injection engine, so injectors are huge as standard, likely over 1000cc as are on most other direct injection engines, so 1000bhp+ capable as standard.

And it's a direct injection engine, so compression is always high, as unlike indirect injection they can handle big boost and high comp without serious det issues.

7. eurospec

eurospec Member

We do lots of Hybrid Turbos for these at work, and they are not too much money for the gains you get, over 500hp is achievable on the turbos we sell with a good map.

8. FAbity6032

FAbity6032 Member

Is that on regular 91 octane or 93? Do you need to replace the stock ECU? Is it possible to tune the ECU yourself?

9. eurospec

eurospec Member

That will be on 97+ octane fuel. Afaik you can flash the ECU to support bigger turbos on these cars, no need for stand-alone management.

10. docwra

docwra Active Member

Mine is running 450hp and 560lb/ft on nothing more than a remap (with Cobb Device) and a different exhaust so probably £2K all told, if I spend a grand on some downpipes it will go 500+hp. Engine hasnt been opened, standard clutch, standard turbos, standard injectors, I wouldnt call that expensive.
    Peak Torque at 3000rpm and I got 30mpg on a decent run the other day, although its mapped to 97+ fuel what isnt to like?

Best kept secret in tuning world I reckon, even on the BMW forums they are rarely much more than 350hp so even they dont seem to have realised the potential.

11. FAbity6032

FAbity6032 Member

Most of them are automatic on craigslist in my country tough.

Problem is that it is not really clear to me what really makes the power on these cars I have heard a lot of different things. Not limited to some silicone intake hoses?
    BMW | Vargas Performance Turbo Solutions

And I also found this page.
    Achieving Full Bolt On Status in 5 Steps on N54 BMW E9X 335i

Problem is there is so much bullshit information? Like air intakes adding 27HP? I know for a fact this is utter bullshit, and will a downpipe really add power or just a bit of low end torque? Also I don't believe just an exhaust could make horsepower I think the stock exhaust is actually just fine.