NA S14 Street Car

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Gooly, Oct 17, 2016.

1. G535

G535 Member

HUGE HUGE FAN of this style! Thumbs up for turbo engine!

2. p555ben

p555ben Active Member

Engine

Gutted you're engines dead dude. Shame you can't get a replacement as the car has got great style and the n/a setup is so much fun.....

There is a guy selling a de out of an s15 for £300 in Plymouth on sxoc ...if you wanted it back on the road cheaply?

#22 p555ben, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  3. Gooly

Gooly Member

Yeah its proper crap to be honest as I was really enjoying it as it was; however I do feel that if I'm going to go through the effort of collecting, paying for and fitting an engine I may as well use the opportunity to upgrade over the DE. In an ideal world it would be with an SR20VE on a RWD sump and other modifications necessary, but availability and convenience will likely lead to an SR20DET or even a CA18DET. RB20DE+T is the left field option; 99% sure that I will be going 5 stud and 17s as well unfortunately, purely down to the fact that I'd like to be able to use it down lanes and stuff without smashing the floor constantly as ultimately thats what the chassis does best on.

The other option is to cash out, go back to something basic (ie E36 / MX5) and enjoy being able to focus on my degree whilst also doing the odd skid day; something that has been looking tempting for a while. Even in its current state it's holding alot of value that realistically would be much better utilised if it was in my bank account. We'll see though, I'll make a decision come new years.

4. Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Get the S15 DE and do the engine swap in a night, then you can fit your 6 speed setup at the same time ;)

5. Gooly

Gooly Member

Yea decided this is the best way forward now. Found another DE locally, will be going in with my 6spd setup on a relocated rack subframe. Hopefully will have this back out with hubs, new coilovers and 6spd come Feb. Will also be staying 4stud on 15s but I think I'm going to move up a tyre size or two.

6. Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Good ladddd, what size tyre are you at mo? And what you planning to go to?

7. Gooly

Gooly Member

195/50/15 on 9j, gonna move up to either 205/50 or 205/55, with tighter fitment and more ground clearance

8. Liljacobbb

Liljacobbb New Member

bummed about the engine man. love the styling though the wheels work well!

9. Gooly

Gooly Member

Thanks man, new SR20DE should be coming in March. Have had a nightmare trying to get another, after deciding that I definitely want to stick with SR20DEs but hopefully this deal should pull through. Will be going in with my 6 speed setup and hopefully mated up to a 4.1 2way and new coilovers all round. After that hopefully I can actually get to enjoy driving it again! Style won't see much change, perhaps some ride height / tyre size tweaks.

10. Leno

Leno Member

Any chance the old one could be rebuilt as a spare?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

11. Gooly

Gooly Member

Can be, can't justify the time or money at the moment though so it will probably get sold for parts

12. Gooly

Gooly Member

Went to Lydden, here's a vid that Car Life made from the footage:

So after alot of hunting around, let downs, set backs, changes of plan and a 340 mile road trip in a knackered old luton van I've managed to finally pick up another VVT SR20DE. This will be going in with my 6 speed setup, 4.1 2-way and on a modified crossmember with hubs and extended LCAs. Also managed to pick up some HSD monopros for a decent price. Car should be back on road soon, in the meanwhile here are some iphone pics I've taken of the Car Life dudes and some other mates cars from the last two months or so.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking for some recommendations on extended tie rods for S14 if anyone knows of anything.

13. Ollie

Ollie LOOSE!

I think there are OEM Nissan tie rods that are longer and cheaper than aftermarket ones. Might be the Maxima they are made for?

14. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

A32 Maxima is what you're after