New Geomaster 3!

Thread in 'Driftworks Products & Enquiries' started by Starkey, Mar 3, 2017.

1. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison WholeLifeCrisis
    Staff Member

2. Jimbaw

Jimbaw Member

ok perfect. I've got this exact kit coming on friday

3. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

Okay great. Let us know if you need any further assistance.

4. eskimo_god

eskimo_god Member

I’m guessing you guys don’t have any plans to develop R chassis front hubs? Advice on having geo 2s on the front and geo3s on the rear? On a R32 going for more of a track set up than drift.

5. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

No we're not planning on doing Geo3 Rbody I'm afraid as it's really small volume. Geo2 Rbody front and Geo3 rear will work fine.

6. EvilZ

EvilZ Member

Just wanted to post a comment on tolerances, on test fitting brand new and a old oem set of bearings onto the geo 3 hubs I encountered two issues. The rear hubs coating is too thick in the central hole for the bearing to go in smoothly, even freezing the bearing it is only possible to start feeding it through by using the bolts to slightly edge in one corner mm by mm.
    The issue with the fronts is the finish on the spindles, these are rough, no questions about it. The first one went on with strong hand force after a slight lube, the second which I took a lot of time polishing with a mild cutting compound and rag, then clean up with cleaner and fresh rags became stuck 1/4 on, rather than destroy a brand new bearing I ended up having to use a press to slowly pushed it down enough to get the main spindle nut on to finish winding it down. Measurements between oem bearings and new were between +\-0.02mm.

7. insa

insa New Member

Hi Phil,
    are these magic "Geo camber castor coilover top mounts" (what a word) available, yet? :-)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rs2fidy

Rs2fidy Member

Personally I just lightly sanded the rear hub centre hole and the oem bearings slotted straight in. Not ideal but is what it is

Regarding the front I personally had no issue with that so maybe you got unlucky?

9. tiffyman

tiffyman Member

Are the R body fronts coming back in stock?

10. tiffyman

tiffyman Member

Will you be getting any R34 front hubs in the near future?

11. Lucky_13

Lucky_13 Member

How different do these sit compared to the 2s if I just swap the hubs from 2s to 3s? Will I have full wisefab front stance lol?

12. EvilZ

EvilZ Member

Just to clarify Geo3 need front rack spacers?
    Tried OEM tie rods/ends and OEM steering rack and ran out of threads on the tie rods to have the wheels facing straight forward, bought longer japspeed tie rods but expect they wont be long enough either.

Also I can confirm 16" S14 OEM wheels do not fit with geo3's and your black lower control arms.

13. Saddened

Saddened Member

Hey!

Only recently got my hands on both front and rear Geo3s. S13, drift build.
    Not sorry at all!

The weight difference is real. I love it when a part is lighter than OEM (unlike FLCAs).

The drop correction is also real. I hated it when all the arms were sticking up.

I have noticed a few things though.

1.Driftworks doesn't offer 5 lug bearings/hubs. They should. Even if they just repackage generic stuff.
    2. Afternarket adjustable flcas tend to have the ball bearing folded up a bit, most likely to cater guys without drop knuckles. Geo3 knuckle seems it would work with a simple straight LCA better, right now the ball bearing movement is maxed out in one direction.
    3. Paint is chipping upon installation. I was very careful and even stretched some parts, but for example the top of the front knuckle where it slides i to coilover mounting points is one area that gpt chipped bad.
    4. There is mention of tension rod shortening. My tension rod is an adjustable one and it can't be cut and welded like the stock piece. Any suggestions as what to do, my caster setting is too far back?
    5. On 9" wide wheels with et38 I hit the tension rods on full lock. I will look into getting kinked tension rods or bending mine. Would be nice to know before I ordered my current setup.
    6. Rear knuckle can't fit 2 oem single cylinder calipers. And it is by a few millimetres only. The rear caliper hits that diagonal brace piece of the knuckle. I am kind of forced to spend more money on 2 sets of skyline calipers now which I wanted to avoid.

All in all I am satisfied and cannot wait for the car to be done so I can test it out.
    It would be very nice to have a downloadable PDF with different kinds of advice what to do and what not to do (buy).

14. DW-shop

DW-shop Member
    Staff Member

Thanks for the feedback on the knuckles.
    Glad you are over all happy with the purchase of the Geomaster 3!
    To answer your point on the above hopefully this helps.

1.Driftworks doesn't offer 5 lug bearings/hubs. They should. Even if they just repackage generic stuff.

To put it simply if we did this we would have to charge more for the bearings than you would pay to buy them from a generic spares shop as we would have to purchase these in and then re package them adding cost.

2. Aftermarket adjustable flcas tend to have the ball bearing folded up a bit, most likely to cater guys without drop knuckles. Geo3 knuckle seems it would work with a simple straight LCA better, right now the ball bearing movement is maxed out in one direction.

We have found on some lower arms there are differences and as much as we tried to check all the options we simply cannot test every combination.
    Which arms is it you have?
    If it is our own DW arms how far are they extended?
    Extending or shortening the arms should pull this joint clear depending which way you need to move it, you can then adjust the camber on the topmount to get back to the setting you need.

3. Paint is chipping upon installation. I was very careful and even stretched some parts, but for example the top of the front knuckle where it slides i to coilover mounting points is one area that got chipped bad.

The finish on these should be very robust and chipping issues is not something that has been reported to us before. The coating on these parts is the same as Wisefab use on their own parts and we see no issues on those either.

4. There is mention of tension rod shortening. My tension rod is an adjustable one and it can't be cut and welded like the stock piece. Any suggestions as what to do, my caster setting is too far back?

With this we are referring to adjustable arms you should be able to adjust these shorter to pull the castor back into spec after rotating the topmount.

5. On 9" wide wheels with et38 I hit the tension rods on full lock. I will look into getting kinked tension rods or bending mine. Would be nice to know before I ordered my current setup.

The wheels hitting on lock is an issue that with high offset wheels will unfortunately happen.
    We do recommend a kinked tension rod to allow more clearance on lock but a 9" wide ET38 may still hit. This sort of wheel size seems as if you may be trying to get these fitted under a standard arch as this wheel size would suit that, it is quite difficult to get the Geomasters to work under the steel arches and a lower offset wheel and wider arch is how most customers would run this.
    You could look to go to a slimmer lower offset wheel to maintain arch fitment the same but gain inner clearance.

6. Rear knuckle can't fit 2 oem single cylinder calipers. And it is by a few millimetres only. The rear caliper hits that diagonal brace piece of the knuckle. I am kind of forced to spend more money on 2 sets of skyline calipers now which I wanted to avoid.

We did try the knuckles with a lot of the options for rear calipers but cold not test every combination unfortunately.
    Depending on what the clearance issue is we may be able to offer a solution to you .

You may get a faster answer on emails to the forum if you did wish to discuss this further.
    Please let me know.

Regards
    Alex

15. crazy-chris

crazy-chris Member

Hi all
    Fitted geo 3s few months back yet to drive on them but had some clearance issues so now having a play and put them to track mode. just done one side and the track rod end is hitting the knuckle when on half lock. Was fine on drift mode. Either if done something wrong or are aftermarket track rod ends needed?

Cheers

16. DW-shop

DW-shop Member
    Staff Member

Hi there

Sorry to see you are having an issue on this.
    If the car is not aligned and you are in full droop with the car unweighted you can sometimes find things may touch like this but you should not need an aftermarket track rod end for these knuckles.
    I would say if you are struggling if you pop an email in to us on the shop@driftworks.com email with some images of it we an try and help out with this for you.
    We have several cars running these knuckles with no issues withthe OE style tie rod end so it seems this may be a setting issue.

Best regards
    Alex