New guy, whit some questions ;)

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Qurt, Jul 28, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Qurt

Qurt New Member

Hello guys im new here and also in the drifting sport i have been driving some Rally in Denmark for a few years and and wanna try something new now so i was hoping this was the place for some help about the car im going to build, already found some useful stuff in here so thats fine.
    current i got a BMW E32 740 whit a 4.4 V8 engine and automatic gearbox my plan is to find a manual gearbox then make a hydraulic handbrake and then fit a LSD and place some weight in the rear end i guess.
    (The engine are from the E38)

Questions:
    Should i get another chassis? (if yes which one?)
    What gearbox will best fit that engine?
    Is the LSD needed?
    Would it be a good idea to get a Dogbox for the transmission?
    Is there any good changes for the steering parts i need to make?
    Whats is the best choice for suspension?

Oh well that was pretty much it hope i can learn from this forum and there is some kind people who can help me out, and if i have forgot something important please let me know :)

2. mint

mint touch my fruit

I dont know anything about BMW's but.. I do know some things about Drifting.

I wouldnt get another chassis since you already have one. Just find a manual box for it if you can.

LSD or some kind of diff, You could weld the diff, or get some kind of locking diff. I run a 2 way, plenty people run welders fine.

Dogbox, Bit much I would think, but depends on money, preference, Certainly not something you NEED.

As for steering, I think BMW's have good lock as standard? Ass some spacers to the steering rack or some extra lock track rods if you can get them for your car.

Suspension, Depends on budget really.

Also you dont need weight in the rear mate :) Same goes for the hydro, you dont need one if anything, its far cooler not using one imo. :) I had one, it was shit. OEM handbrake with decent pads/shoes worked alot better for me personally. Im in a JZX100, So must be a similar size to your car?

3. Qurt

Qurt New Member

thanks for the response, looks like i can start out abit cheaper than i asumed ;)
    but i think i still put in the hydraulic used to have it in my rally car.

But hwat do u mean by "lock track rods" ? not sure what that is sure i will search for it but if you could explain it would be nice.
    yea i guess its about same size car.

Still if anyone know what gearbox that fits it would be awesome since the 4.4 V8 aint sold in Denmark whit a manual :p

4. bell

bell Without patience

5. Qurt

Qurt New Member

Yea but the E38 whit a 4.4 V8 have never been sold in Denmark whit a manual gearbox so i guess i gotta import or if there is another gearbox thats fit over.

Its kinda new for me to drive BMW so i do not got so much knowledge on it yet i used to drive Opel or Peugeot :p