New to drifting?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by james, Sep 7, 2005.

1. james

james Administrator
    Staff Member

Are you new to Drifting?
    Do you want to find out more about the sport or how to get involved, but aren't sure about asking what seem like simple questions about the basics?
    This is the place for you :)
    In this 'New to Drifting' forum section there is no such thing as a stupid question, so ask away and we'll do our best to give you a sensible helpful answer about getting started :thumbs:
    Cheers :)

Also have a looksee at this...

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/faq-new-members-please-read/

#1 james, Sep 7, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2010
  2. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Thank god for that i need this alot. :D :D :D

#2 Big Dave, Sep 7, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2005
  3. gary325

gary325 New Member

hows things??
    is there a performance diff i can get for my e36. its a 318is. there s an open diff in it so drifting is quite difficult unless its wet. i was thinking of welding it but i use the car everyday for going to college.

4. Joe

Joe No pistons !

M3 diff is your best bet and prob the handy option

5. tuna

tuna New Member

hi there

I have just bought an mr2 turbo its great fun just want to know if its possible to get it out and hold it? Iv had it out but i dunno what to do then apart from steer the other way. Think i steer the other way to much any tips would be appreciated thanx! Oh yer GREAT site :thumbs:

6. SuperBlackS14

SuperBlackS14 New Member

I am Completly new to drifting, I live in America and am not sure if there are that many good american drifters. I mean I know the basics of drifting. But I need to know some good drifters that are affordable and either available for cheap import or found in america... I know I sound pathetic but I don't have the money for anything too pricey and I need to keep damage to a minimum. :-)

7. Phantom Mark

Phantom Mark Member

Can anyone advise on the cars I can transplant a LSD from to fit a '93 E36 325i ?

Im told I can only get one from a M3 or 328 Sport so far ?

Thanks

8. EDnovaStarlet

EDnovaStarlet RWD Carless

Ah ha I've joined, Got

Ok so I've decided on a 200 sx 1990 S13, it's got exhaust (inc de-cat), induction & front "N" rear top strut braces Plus a re-map. I've never done drifting apart from getting the arse out in my front wheel drive motors in the past with lots of lift off over steer.
    QUESTION:
    :smash: Do I jump straight in a get a S14 rear diff with LSD in it or a after market Quife unit/simlar to put in mine??? :D
    Just a little worried of my diff going bang or just one wheel lighting up etc...!

Answers on a post card please! :thumbs:

9. datsun_turbo

datsun_turbo Member

Your car is mid engined so it has a lot of weight at the rear, you will have to be quicker with the throttle and steering to avoid spining it. There are some good tips to drive these cars on Keichi tsuchia's "Drift Bible" dvd. availible at the driftworks shop. (free plug) ;) or maybe consider a drift skool/academy event.

#9 datsun_turbo, Nov 13, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  10. #1 Adam

#1 Adam Member

Hi guy's

Im totally new to drifting but im keen to learn how to master the sideways action. I've recently bought a 200sx s13 and im in the process modding it upto stage 3. As this is my road car aswell i dont want to turn this car into a PURE drift car but i still want to be able to do drift days.

Ive got a set of apex springs to start with while i keep on the look out for a set of coil overs. Will i need a LSD? Also what is the best way for a novice to get into drifting? Drift academy? or turn up for a drift day and practice??

Any help is appreciated :smokin:

11. Euge

Euge Loves Boobies

Hi Adam, I recommend going to one of Drift UKs practice events. friendly instructors available there all day to give you a helping hand. Terry is a top guy. check out www.driftuk.co.uk for info or www.driftskool.co.uk :thumbs:

An LSD is essential for drift, I would reccomend a good 2 way aftermarket LSD. The Kaaz ones the driftworks boys are selling are just the job at a very good price! :thumbs:

12. #1 Adam

#1 Adam Member

Thanks Euge, i'll do that. It looks like ive got a few more mods to make before i can start drifting but im nearly there. I'll check out the up n coming events and make some deadlines! :thumbs:

13. Pesh

Pesh Member

Whats the difference between a welded diff and an LSD?

14. cumracing

cumracing New Member

hi new to site and drifting so help is most wanted does any no a easy engine transplant for my e36 316i bmw need more power and would i need gearbox etc..

15. buff ballz

buff ballz New Member

i need some adivice

16. vgiex

vgiex New Member

17. DARKEST_HOUR

DARKEST_HOUR Member

I am looking for Drifting illustration's, i forgot where i found them l ast time It shows the lines,braking ect.need it for school project

18. Batfink

Batfink Active Member

I would like to see some of these as well.

19. Batfink

Batfink Active Member

20. DARKEST_HOUR

DARKEST_HOUR Member

Yup those !!

Thanks !