New to drifting?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by james, Sep 7, 2005.

1. danet95

danet95 New Member

Hey trying to find out everything I can about drifting, setups, and general knowledge

2. KAS627

KAS627 Member

Hello

Recently bought a BMW E36 328, fully drift set up. Got the hydro, stripped interior, buckets, harnesses, M3 LSD, lowered on springs and coilovers and a few other bits and bobs.

Before I can drive it I need to sort something on it. When I press the throttle the pedal just sticks down, but the car revs fine from the engine. Any ideas what to try?

3. Xander12397

Xander12397 New Member

Hey, i will soon be looking into purchasing my first drift car. But i was wondering if a welded diff would effect any normal driving, for example commuting? And also if a stock engined volvo 360 2.0 would have enough power to go sideways? Thanks

4. AStar10

AStar10 New Member

This was really useful, thanks!

5. Gurlydrifter14

Gurlydrifter14 New Member

Hey guys I am just getting back into drifting and I'm a little rusty, I was thinking about another car and I'm looking into a Nissan 180/200sx, Nissan Silvia s15, or a Mazda rx7, I need a cheap option with easy modifications like the 180 sx but also adjustable castor and camber. If anyone could give me any tips that would be awesome, thanks.

6. GrzegJ

GrzegJ New Member

hey i believe this question was probably asked before a billion times, but how different is a car with a welded diff? this is my first rwd car, and love the whole drifting thing, however sometimes i just like going quick around some bends, and since this is my first rwd car i havent got a huge amount of experience with rwd should i leave it open diff(no cash for lsd) or welded it? any tips advice would be great thanks.

7. highlander87

highlander87 New Member

Hi all. Please help. I bought a jap import skyline r34 set up to drift. When turning tight circles slow it Clonks from the rear loud. And the wheels sort of jump. The abs light slip light and TCS off light are all on constant. Is this normal? As the mechanic I use did not like it. I am brand new to this so every bit of info is greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

8. ta89supra

ta89supra New Member

Im just starting out learning to drift, driving 1989 supra what aftermarket parts do i need for my steering, noticed that the cars have good amount of oversteer or how to set my steering and suspension up properly. Any help would be appreciated from west canada.

9. burkevalocks

burkevalocks New Member

Hey I am new to this blog and new to drifting and cant wait to learn from everyone here

10. burkevalocks

burkevalocks New Member

I am looking for a starter car for a first time drifter any ideas. I have about $1300 to spend. I wouldnt like to spend anymore on that for the first car incase I dont do so well and wreck it.

So if anyone has any ideas please let me know.
    I would be very grateful.

11. MazdaNoob

MazdaNoob New Member

Hi guys,

I'm brand new to drifting but am determined to get myself a little MX-5 as a starter and get involved.

Am I right in thinking that this is all I need to do:

1. Buy the car.
    2. Disable the air bags if it has them.
    3. Get a hydraulic handbrake installed.

Is there anything I am missing that is an essential? I'm trying to stick to a budget of less than £2,000 in total if possible. You guys think that's doable?

Thanks.

12. [jay]

[jay] Member

Buy car.
    Weld diff.
    Do some skids.

Optional extras of a decent seat and some suspension, not necessary but will help.
    Both much more important than a hydro handbrake.

13. Rs2fidy

Rs2fidy Member

What does it take to get into competition drifting?

14. danny_boi

danny_boi novice

Hard work and effort

15. Rs2fidy

Rs2fidy Member

Is there many licence days?

For a bike racing licence, it's only one weekend a year in February with the club I raced with

16. MazdaNoob

MazdaNoob New Member

Weld the diff, knew I'd forgot something important ha. Thanks for the tips buddy.

17. Wojadzer

Wojadzer New Member

Is it legal to have a momo wheel in Britain?

18. steel15172

steel15172 New Member

New to drift and want to build a track only mazda miata with an LS1 swap. Need direction please.

19. J8ke

J8ke New Member

Hi I'm new to drifting in a mechanic I have got a bmw e46 323i with vanos but I seen ppl selling with out vanos just would like to no if it's better with or with out for drifting many thanks :)

20. VENOM6

VENOM6 New Member

Hi, i would like to have some advice for my E36 318is, now the car has coilover, front and rear strut bar, welded diff and hydraulic ebrake.
    Soon as possible i'll want to take
    the e36 m3 top mounts for have i litle bit of caster:
    [​IMG]

front camber plates to arrive approximately to -2:
    [​IMG]

rear top mounts:
    [​IMG]
    e46 330ci steering rack that i knon is more faster of the z3 rack and has fewer turns to the steering wheel, and probably also the rack spacers:
    [​IMG]

I'll wait your opinions ;]