Not so N/A S13 anymore...

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Bu11et, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Threadmark: Introduction
    Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Morning all...

I've been a member here for a good few years now and always tried to get involved, and read plenty of build threads so thought I might aswell start one myself...

Heres some background on me...

My name is Charlie, from Halifax, West Yorkshire. I work for a well known bank...I'm 26 and have always had a passion for cars, and in 2010 I went to my first drift event, JDM Allstars @ Trafford Centre in Manchester. It opened my eyes to just how awesome the sport is and how
    friendly everybody is etc...I was instantly hooked, but at this point I hadn't passed my driving test and was still studying so the next best thing was to buy myself a Logitech G27 and purchase LFS(Live for Speed) on my computer - I was practicing day in and out and got the jist of it fairly quickly and loved it.

2 years later(June 2012) I got a decent job and bought an E36 325i(Track only) and took it to Oulton Park for my first ever drift day and loved it, the buzz was immense!
    ed4269767f665718cfeec1e872f7072d.

I then sold the E36 and a year later(June 2013) got a nice little Import - 1.8 Mx5 Mk1, I owned this for 4 months and did 6 drift days in, seat time heaven and I learnt so much from it, throwing it into corners flat out with no handbrake, it was scary but loved the feeling of getting it right!

This is how it looked before its last drift day, and then I sold it
    84e669226fffbd1cf6aeed5bb8189574.

(October 2013)Then I swapped the Mx5 for an S13 with a blown CA, luckily I got a good working CA with the swap, so I spent about 5 months rebuilding the good CA in my shed, with new bearings and rings etc and just made sure it was going to be reliable, Once i had dropped the CA in etc and got it all running, it
    was such an ace car, drove spot on, had loads of sideways grip and I couldn't fault it, I competed in Driftcup(2014) and finished 6th Overall, I also did LOADS of drift days, including Drift Matsuri and loads of Teesside drift days, I got loads of seat time from this car and it helped me improve so much!!
    7113d2a173f47a4483b9d9668eb37c58.

Then came 2015 and the winter refresh set in, I had secured a bodywork sponsor(Owen Autobodies) for the following 2015 season, I rebuilt the head on the CA, port and polished and a few other little mods, Upgraded the turbo and got the car running absolutely spot on, it looked ace aswell, fitted a GT1 Kit, Rota Torques and got it painted properly - It was set to be a good year! Then on its 2nd outing, it developed a fault and would not rev above 2k, changed AFM, rewired AFM and checked lots of other things, had no idea what it was so decided to break the car for parts due to the cost of it breaking quite alot and having to constantly spend to keep it on track, I ended up breaking the car in June 2015, thats when I found out it was the ECU that caused all the problems so sort of relieved I found the issue. Looking back aswell, I
    hadn't realised the amount of money I had put into it! just willy nilly throwing money at it, upgrading parts that didnt even need to be upgraded, just because I got it cheap...
    c0c920f85f36a5fccad1ea26eef7caa2.

I didnt bother with drifting for a few months until October 2015 when I got myself a E36 328 Touring off of here, good car, upgraded a few bits, like E46 lower arms etc, and drifted it twice, was a good car but I wasnt overly comfortable with it so sold it
    a63efe87722a54fff5e18173da41b62f.

Then come Feb 2016, I had been put in contact with a guy with an S13 shell, After talking for a while and discussing, I eventually agreed to have the S13...it probably wasnt the best buy but it has worked out okish now, when I got the S13 it had sat on a trailer since Awesomefest 2011 as far as im
    aware...Here are some pics from when I bought it.
    53693cd0e2693c5752823e4b248ccefd. 9557b4ca9ec97bbcd2ae3b2c9022ce29. bf7559d27ec04522c0bf95e599a91f78. 8327fc5d18fdcaa77b1ac2b068a748de.

My plan was to build it fairly cheap and make it reliable just so I can get plenty of seat time from it and have to push myself driving wise. I managed to pick up a fairly cheap SR20DE from an S14 and also managed to pickup an S15 6 Speed box and a 4.4 R180 Diff.
    81382e5a9c589db41a4ab3a0a4594856.

I soon got the rust sorted and started cleaning it up, I took both front and rear subframes off, found out the front subframe was bent, so purchased a new one that had been modified to move the rack forward, and was also powdercoated gold. I followed suit and got the rear subframe powdercoated gold, and all the arms powdercoated red.
    7aa0a227beb2a87395c0ef0b3ee9f21a.

Whilst it was off, I freshened up the diff and painted it silver.
    e5eec50d425e2ab74d50398271d23d47.

I also got the stock lower arms off, and took them to a good friend Owen @ Dirtydog Fab, he extended my lower arms +30mm and also braced them and fitted new lock stops.
    adcb2cb9c75caca18dbc308a1a8d979c.

I also wanted to underseal the car, so on my drive, me, my housemate and my missus got the car up on its side, worked a treat, until it came to bringing it back down, was just a case of let go and hope nothing broke when it landed lol...as you can see my house mate is happy with this haha
    f6fed0bf26aa21e4f415d89103ddfc50.

I thought i'd give the engine bay a quick blast before the SR went in...
    abde54639d0fd88eff15d77aac0a723c.

With help mainly from the missus, and a bit from my housemate, we got the SR in not long after
    5498688648205772b267095a55c81eef.

I picked up a nice set of Genuine Work Wheels - all 16" which is what I wanted from the outlay
    09bf68beaab1decee554dfd02899dd1f.

I then ran out of time, so sent it off to a friend to help build the car whilst I was busy, made very quick progress and within a couple of weeks the car was on the road, One main thing that had to happen was getting a custom prop made, due to running an S15 6 Speed Box and a non-abs diff, standard S13 prop's didnt fit, unfortunately dont have a pic of the prop but next time its up on the ramp I will get one, Heres a pic of when the car was on its first outing:
    69585fce873dd8ad17f027c9924e6212.

I needed the drivers seat to stay on an adjustable rail so that the Missus can also drive it and learn to drift in it, so I visited Joe's unit and whilst I was at work, he made the rail sit further forward so that she can reach the pedals...
    79c641cf3af3a1b839a817971f7db903.

Not much has changed since I've had it on the road, the diff was leaking so I got the gasket replaced and just fixed up a few issues overall to make it run better, fitted a very nice Ears Motorsport Bucket seat and a Corbeau bucket seat along with a Momo Steering wheel and snap off boss
    6d803da524f22aa6c8677e5d10e10836. 71eb44acb34856088cfec06520cd6974.

My good mate Laidler helped me wire in a radio aswell, we got the cheapest headunit from eBay(£15) and the cheapest Pair of 6x9 Speakers from Halfrauds and got them fitted, it seems to sound ok, its not horrendous and will do for them long journeys, especially since my last S13 didnt have any stereo
    whatsoever
    1268a366e69da5109d1a7bc84a4389dd. 95a82da63c95c835b21d2f105fd36b9b.

Took the little one out for a spin in it a few weeks ago and she loved it, cant wait until shes old enough to actually take her on track drifting!
    0d3b088042d4b15f7ee604dfd180b0f5.

So this is how the car currently sits, I'll be heading upto Teesside for NYE Drifting and got a few bits to do before then which should be easy enough
    63dbe4ebf5880c967e7b9e6082fa2715.

Thanks for reading guys, I dont have many other plans other than tidy up the exterior and get it painted in the new year, then just get as much seat time as possible, I want to keep it N/A for now and just enjoy pushing myself more and more, Also Im sticking with the saying "If its not broken, don't fix it" with this one...Only got the necessities!

#1 Bu11et, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  2. Threadmark: Spec list
    Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

S13 Mods list:

Suspension:
    R32 Rear Subframe Shotblased & Powdercoated Gold
    Solid Rear Subframe Bushes
    HSD MonoPro Coilovers
    Driftworks Hicas Delete Kit with Adjustable Toe Rods
    Driftworks Adjustable Camber Arms
    Front Subframe powdercoated gold with rack moved forward
    RetroSpeedShop HyperKnuckle V2
    RetroSpeedShop Extended Front Lower Arms
    Strongflex Polybushes all round
    Front Braided Brake Hoses with ABS Delete

Drivetrain:
    SR20DET Engine from S15 Spec R(VVT Model)
    2871r Turbo
    Japspeed RS Manifold
    Tomei Poncams & Tomei Type A Valve Springs
    750cc Injectors
    R35 MAF post turbo
    Siruda 1.2mm MLS Headgasket
    Fresh ACL Bearings
    Nistune Fitted and Mapped by MB Automotive - 353hp
    3" Exhaust
    Lightened Flywheel
    CG Motorsport 5 Paddle Clutch
    350z Gearbox
    Stock Propshaft modified to suit 350z Gearbox
    Kazz 2-way LSD 4.1 Ratio with Skyline 5 bolt output shafts
    Strongflex Uprated Gearbox & Engine Mounts

Interior:
    Drivers - Ears Motorsport fixed back Bucket Seat - with 6 Point K-Sports Harness
    Passenger - Corbeau fixed back Bucket Seat - 4 Point Harness
    Genuine 330mm Nardi Classic - Leather with Satin Spokes with snap off boss
    Zillalife Deathtune Gearknob

Exterior:
    Genuine Type X Front & Rear Bumper
    Byba Kits Type X Front splitter, sideskirts and rear spats
    Fibreglass boot hatch with perspex screen
    Dmax Boot Lip
    Dmax Roof Lip

Wheels:
    Fronts - Rota Grid 17x9 et25 - 235/40/17 Kenda KR20A
    Rears - Rota Grid 18x9.5 et20 - 265/35/18 Kenda KR20A

#2 Bu11et, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  3. Threadmark: Wangan Wing fitting
    Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Today I had a little mess in between working nights, fixed the lights issue, turned out there was a loose wire behind the radio that must have been shorting the interior light fuse, taped that up and all working

Then also fitted something I've been meaning to for a while now... The colour is wrong like the rest of the car, but it's getting painted early next year anyway so not overly fussed at the mo... Let me know what you guys think...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Threadmark: New Coilovers
    Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

So just before Christmas the missus surprised me with HSDs

Finally got round to fitting them over the past 2 days on my break at work

It's awesome as we have a multi story car park, and I work shifts, so as the past 2 days have been bank holidays, it's been empty and I can park wherever I want! [​IMG]

This is what my old coilovers look like(These are for sale if anybody is interested, PM me) [​IMG]

And this is a comparison of the shiny new HSDs and the old Cusco fronts[​IMG]

Not made it super low yet as need to tuck the exhaust, hammer rear arch lips flat and fit new front wings and tyres first, but this is the final result[​IMG][​IMG]

Just a few more bits to do before Teesside at NYE, I can't wait! Super excited to get back on track in a fun car

5. Threadmark: First Drift Day in the new rig
    Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Teesside yday was mega!!

Car performed flawlessly and the only problem all day was the backbox of my exhaust fell off and the centre hanger snapped so had to replace that and stop the exhaust dragging on the floor(Huge thanks to the missus and Lee) [​IMG]

Then I also managed to acquire a pair of 25mm spacers for the front, which gave me a bit wider front and the wheels sitting flusher with the wings [​IMG]

Car currently needs a few little bits... Mainly when transitioning, sometimes the steering seems to stop in the centre for a second(like its stuck?) before continuing to counter steer... No idea what this could be so gonna have a good check of all the arms etc and make sure everything is tight etc....

Also got a pre-facelift front bumper and splitter so will be fitting that shortly... [​IMG]

More updates to come...

6. Threadmark: pre-facelift bumper fitted
    Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

A few more pictures I've found from Teesside on Saturday...

Heading up the hill on West Track[​IMG]

Coming down the hill on West Track in 3rd[​IMG]

Seems the little DE smokes up the 16s aswell![​IMG]

Also got round to fitting the pre-facelift bumper today... Need to get my new exhaust made up and then I can lower the car a bit all round.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Can't wait to get it all painted one colour!

7. Threadmark: New Front Tyres
    Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Not much going on at the mo, got Pod booked for the 8th Feb and a few bits to do before then...

Managed to get a pair of NS2's in 195/50/16 and fitted upfront, I've ran these on my past few cars and absolutely love them! Ace tyres for the money and have never understeered with them, even in the wet! Will be nice and grippy now and I won't have to worry about where the car is heading [​IMG][​IMG]

Need to change the diff before Pod, got a 3:9 Welder to throw in for the time being, seen as my 4:4 has shat itself which is no use [emoji20]

Also if I can, I want to get a gearbox oil change done as well, as I've got some Lightweight Shockproof stuff

Then just a nut and bolt check for the long haul down to Pod(3 Hours... Urgh)

I shall provide more updates next week

8. Threadmark: Santa Pod drifting
    Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Finally got the car all prepped for Pod! Luckily managed to find a 4.1 from a friend so wacked that in.... [​IMG]

Also obviously put some pre-drift day stickers on as well [​IMG]

Then we set off on the 3 n half hour drive south(such a bore! Especially since the diff was whining like the wife when the dishes haven't been done ), arrived at our hotel for the night and chilled out with some pizza and kebabs [​IMG]

Arrived at Pod and got all setup, went to briefing etc, and then got into it, this was a day for me to mainly spend teaching the missus to drift whilst putting in a few laps here and there.... She did very well, next time she'll be nailing them corners

Got some on board footage of my only decent run on the main track at Pod, track was super sketchy and the car wasn't driving great unfortunately(barely self-centered so 95% of it had to be done by hand)

Also got a few pics from the day from BP ??[​IMG]
    Chasing down an E36 sporting the STL HM Body kit... [​IMG][​IMG]

Now a small list to sort out, add some castor into the mix to hopefully sort out the countersteering issue, raise the exhaust and a few other small bits....

Till next time peeps

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

#40 Bu11et, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  9. Threadmark: New Hubs & Wiring Loom relocation
    Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Haven't updated this thread for a while...

Bits n bobs have happened since Pod - Money is a bit tight at the moment so trying to save where possible!

First off I got my front hubs off, as I thought this was causing the self-centering issue, as I have my steering rack moved forward 25mm but stock hubs, the steering arms are angled backwards so my presumption is that this would cause un-necessary friction...I gave them to my good friend Owen @ DirtyDog Fabricatoins, he copied his modified knuckes(which we believe are Superclarkey) and made a jig and then modified mine to suit and gave them back, I fitted them and have got a good amount of lock now! Never gonna need anymore I don't think...
    DSC_0654.

Also after fitting the hubs, I thought I'd start the car and take it for a quick spin to test them out, turns out whilst at Pod I had rubbed through the arch loom(AMATEUR MISTAKE!). My Old S13, I did a year n half of skids and daily driving perfectly fine with 17's and never once rubbed through the loom!! Luckily it was only 1 wire that rubbed through, so fixed that with some connectors and then stripped all the old tape off it and re-wrapped it all whilst tucking it super duper high, never to be touched again!
    DSC_0669.JPG

The diff issue was still worrying me, and I had a spare diff lying around, so Me and Owen stripped that and the current diff in the car and swapped the bearings over, hoping this is going to be a cheap fix to my noisey diff, but I'm not hopeful... Haven't had chance to fit it yet but hoping to over the next few days

I have also taken my Exhaust Manifold off and dropped it with a mate to get a flexi fitted in it, so that I can now tuck the exhaust and drop the car another 20mm all round... :D

Another update to come soon though, i'll keep on top of it this time!

10. Threadmark: New Look for 2017 & Teesside Drifting
    Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

So, I was at Teesside on Monday for the Bank Holiday Drift Day, and also went for Josh's Birthday bash, was a great laugh, good turnout of cool cars(not just your normal BMW's) and a dry hot day aswell!!

On the way up, We met with Lewis(Kingu Media) and Owen Counihan, Lewis got some photos of the car freshly from the paint shop - I love how the car looks right now!! The new rear lights are ace and the kit suits the car's style which is perfect.
    received_802746073213830. received_802746119880492.

Lewis also got a few of Owen's car which was looking ace after he has fitted a fresh turbo to the motor!
    FB_IMG_1492639443850.

The car felt really good on track, the self-centering issue was fixed by the hubs and tightening up the PAS belt, although in the morning there was a dead spot on the steering in the centre if you went from side to side, turned out one of the rack bushes was loose, so tightened that up over lunch and was away again
    FB_IMG_1496024684336.

Unfortunately the front bumper got smashed into quite a few pieces when I let Amy get behind the wheel, she entered into the first corner of west track and was doing quite well, then let off the throttle and the car snapped and aimed us straight towards the tyres...which we hit head on haha, don't have any pictures of the bumper unfortunately.. But here's a few pictures of the car during the day without any front bumpers haha
    FB_IMG_1492637941659.

FB_IMG_1492637915532.
    FB_IMG_1492637953375.

I also managed to smash up my passenger side front wing, luckily I have a spare front wing which isn't too badly damaged so will get that on and get it painted asap...

Got a list of stuff to do now which includes:
    Strengthen up the front bumper/order a new one
    Fit lock stops
    Change drives rear brake calliper
    Change prop shaft UJ's
    Change Starter Motor

After Monday though, I'm super happy and proud of how the car performed, I'm in no rush to get the list above sorted, and I don't plan on skinting myself. My next planned drift day is STL at the end of July, I'm hoping to get at least 1 or 2 extra days in before then just to make sure the car is in tip top condition

#45 Bu11et, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Threadmark: Teesside Onboard
    Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Made a quick video with the only clips I got from the whole day grrrr :@

Nothing mega unfortunately, just 2 runs on West Track, but shows that DE's are definitely capable!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Threadmark: Teesside Drift Day #3
    Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Been a while since I've updated this thread...

After the last drift day, the car was running spot on, the only small problem was I seemed to have acquired a bit of toe in on one of my wheels but didn't affect much on the car so just dealt with it - after that, I said im gonna have a month or 2 off drifting to sort the car out fully with a few niggle's that were bugging me, but after a week of that, I was bored, and noticed there was a few spaces at Teesside on 1st May, so I booked myself onto an afternoon session there...Great, last minute again...

I managed to pick up a Cobra 3" harness, so got that fitted to the drivers side(no pics unfortunately).

Then hit the drift day, I had a set of stock 15" S13 wheels with decent tread on the tyres, so thought I'd take them and use them up, saves me having to fork out for some more tyres when they are there to be burnt.

Got loads of seat time in to say we only went up for the afternoon(2-6pm) and managed to burn 3 out of the 4 tyres so did well!

Whilst changing the tyres onto the skid ones when we got there, I noticed loads of gunk all over my drivers side coilover and all suspension arms etc, immediately knew it was my CV Boot that was gone, Anyway, I kept an eye on it and the shaft didn't get any louder until later on in the day so just dealt with it.

Having the harness fitted helped a lot! I was held firmly in my seat so I could focus more on my driving than anything else and I was trying not to use the handbrake as much - Heres some onboard footage(Mainly from west track, but 2 runs on National that I did throughout the afternoon).

Here's also a few pictures from the day... FB_IMG_1494061271969. FB_IMG_1494061263547.

13. Threadmark: Exhaust Tuck/Bumper Repair/Visit to Owens
    Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

So, only a quick little update...Been focusing on moving house recently so haven't paid much attention to the car, only had an hour or 2 here and there...

Since the last one, there hasn't been much change, tidied a few little bits up and ticked off a few things:
    Replaced Starter motor(finally! No more tapping with the breaker bar to start it!)
    Drivers driveshaft(everything was caked in gunk, it was horrible!)
    Got the exhaust tucked up so it sits above the chassis rails all the way from manifold back
    FB_IMG_1494061603587.
    FB_IMG_1494061606447.

I also fibreglassed the front bumper back together after the little incident a few months ago, This is what it looked like after the crash...
    destroyed bumper.
    Got it all back in one piece and on the car to made sure it fit
    Smashed front end.

I then sent it off to the bodyshop and got him to spray up a spare wing I had lying around to replace the demolished passenger front wing.
    "What crash?!" I hear you say... Almost like new...
    repaired front end.

I paid a visit to Owen with his super slick S14, he's fabricating up a new single piece intake pipe for me as my current one is looking a bit worse for wear... We got all the measurements etc and tacked it all in place so just waiting on him to finish welding it up then i'll pop back over and we'll get it fitted up!
    Owen's place.

Randomly the other day, I remembered from when I drove Chidley's S13 at Finalboss 2 years ago, that he had a painted center console and I thought it was ace, so I thought it'd look good if I did the same...so out came the sand paper and halfords rattle cans..think it came out quite well overall... I also picked up an S15 Spec R 6 Speed Gearknob which is much better than the old white piece of junk I had on there!!
    Centre Console.

It was mine and the missus' 2 year anniversary yesterday, and she got me these canvas' of my Current & Old S13 to stick up in the new house...I got them up straight away so you'll see them on your way down the stairs ;) She's a good un, definately a keeper!
    Canvas Stairs.

No future drift days planned yet...

List of things that need doing before STL:
    Alignment
    Prop Shaft UJ's(I'm just being lazy...)
    Intake Pipe finishing off and fitting
    New Windscreen(would be ideal)
    Sort radio(Don't fancy driving upto driftland without any form of music...)

FB_IMG_1494061603587.

FB_IMG_1494061606447.

#54 Bu11et, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  14. Threadmark: Custom Intake Pipe
    Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Owen sent me some pics over of the intake all tacked up, ready to be welded this week hopefully ;)

received_10212578853642014. received_10212578853162002.

15. Threadmark: STL S-Body Meet & New Wheel
    Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Updateeeeeeeeeeeee

The wheels were annoying me, when I got them they were shiny and looked rather nice, but I didn't really take much care and the lips started pitting and became very dull and not shiny, so I spoke to a friend who came over and helped me make them all shiny again! This was the final result...mega happy and just makes the car look tonnes better!
    Wheels before.JPG
    Wheels after.

Then a week later, a friend organised an S-Body meet in Manchester at their unit, Im sure you'll have heard of/seen a few of the pictures from the event, I was super suprised at the turnout!! Lots of very nice cars, and many many burnouts occured... Found a picture of mine which makes it look half decent!
    S-body Meet.

Last Thursday I spoke to a good friend of mine Chris(Mr.Stylecase to you...), he happens to work at Driftworks, and managed to sort me out with something I've always wanted!
    Nardi Boxed 2.
    A Nardi Classic! Ideally I would have gone for the 340mm, but they had a 3-4 week wait and I'm too impatient unfortunately, so went for the 330mm option, got it fitted and think it looks ace! Mega happy with it and how it works with the interior
    Nardi Fitted.JPG

Just need to dye the cushions for the drivers bucket seat black and then change up the passenger seat for a nice comfy black one(current one is horrendous and may aswell just have flat sides as it doesn't hold you in at all!!). I'm also on the lookout for another 3" harness for the passenger side in Blue if anybody has one they fancy selling?

STL in 3 weeks and I cant wait! Been far too long since i've been to Driftland!!

#59 Bu11et, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Threadmark: Interior Improvements...
    Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Little update...

Finally got radio all wired up and working properly(unlike the first time, which popped the rear lights fuse everytime you had the lights and radio on at the same time) - Got a fresh new kenwood headunit and another pair of speakers fitted behind the drivers and passenger seats...
    Kenwood Headunit.
    Speakers.JPG

Also borrowed a 3" TRS Harness off my mate Nev for STL
    Bucket Seat.JPG

And eventually, got my Nismo pedals fitted, I know this is a bit chavvy, but I've always liked the style of them and just think they modernise the cockpit a bit more that's all, personal preference an all!
    Pedals.JPG

Ali kept this little beauty to himself until the other day when he posted it on STL's Instagram...

STL Pic 2.

#61 Bu11et, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  17. Threadmark: Pre-STL Fixes/Little niggles
    Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Pre-STL Update(2 days till take off)!

Pretty boring stuff on this one, but none the less an update...

Recently I've been thinking that it's been pretty shit on fuel! and I've been smelling it quite strong when driving around, and I was guessing around 40 miles to a tenner, which is pretty shit really considering its N/A?!

So I put a thread up in the Technical section here and a few people suggested coolant temp sensor, ordered one from Conceptua and it arrived in time for me to fit in on my break at work on nights - Me and Nev cracked on and got it replaced(Its a right ball ache to get to though!!). This is the old sensor that came out, sort of looks like a factory one and was absolutely caked in dirt!
    Coolant Temp Sensor.

We had to trim the cap of the new sensor as there was little tabs which meant it wouldn't fit. We also had a pre-fitting buy - Ben & Jerry's! We took it in turns swapping between fitting the sensor and eating, and eventually it was done.
    Water Temp Sensor Fixing.

Saturday, I went over to Owen's to finish off my custom intake pipe(It is looking very snazzy btw ;) as you'll see below) - I took this route, brimming the tank before I went, and brimming it again when I got back - for the whole drive there and back, the S13 used 6.08l(1.337gallons) of fuel - and the journey itself was 54 miles - which means that the 13 averaged 40.3mpg on the way there and back, which I'm super happy with! So hoping that the temp sensor has fixed the fuelling issue!
    Owens run.

Whilst I was at Owen's I got a few pics of the intake pipe in progress, I absolutely love the raw look of the stainless steel and the welds and how they've discoloured the metal! Tempted to get it powder coated clear just to preserve the look - Here are some pics in progress
    Intake pipe.JPG Owen Grinding.JPG Welded Intake 1.JPG Intake Bracket.JPG

Here is the final pic of the end product that Owen finished up after I'd left...
    Finished intake.JPG

Cant wait to pick this up tonight and get it fitted! Hoping it also makes some cool noises being single piece :D

Back at work again(night's all weekend) - it gives me time to do stuff on the car since I get a 2 hour break, so Saturday night consisted of me doing oil changes, Engine and Diff... Engine was straight forward as ever...
    Engine Oil change.JPG

Diff was a little more painful, the gap to get to the filler hole is horrendous so had to use a little adapter to get it out which worked well, and I picked up a Sealey pump off eBay a couple of weeks ago, this came in mega handy and made filling the diff up again rather easy, although being a manual pump, pumping 1.8L of thick gear oil into the diff took its toll on my arm but eventually got it done and all back together.
    Diff Oil Change.JPG

Nev is a bit of a pic whore - He loves taking pics, so couldn't help take a few of our cars in works multi story car park(Our Night's garage) - He's got a cool little Mk1 Mx5
    Multi Story Car Park.JPG
    Fresh oil on long journeys such as Drift land(270 miles each way) is always a confidence booster!

Since I got the car up and running and on the road etc, the only part of my cluster that has worked is my Fuel gauge, which I was getting a bit fed up of...so I called out to Norfy(Wiring Guru, if you don't know him, then you must revise ASAP) - He told me which wires need to connect to each other from the S14 loom to the S13 dash loom to get the rev counter and temp gauge to work, got them connected up, he also advised that I needed a 10k resistor fitted to make the rev counter work - Fitted this by literally unscrewing 2 screws on the back of the cluster and wrapping it round each one of them as pictured below...
    Resistor.

Did this and I now have a working rev counter! Woohoo!
    Rev counter working.JPG

The temp gauge doesn't work unfortunately but I'm going to replace the single pin temp sensor in the coolant housing and see if that fixes the issue which it will hopefully! Then I'll have a working cluster :D

My speedo will never work since I'm running the S15 6 Speed Box(the sensor is in the diff on an S15) - but my trusty old sat nav works for that!

All in all a good few days on the car, big shout out to Nev for the help throughout, and Norfy for the wiring info about cluster!

#65 Bu11et, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  18. Threadmark: STL 2017 @ Driftland
    Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

STL - Over and out!

Absolutely loved it! Even the drive up there and back was rather enjoyable to say it was in a rusty old 90's Datsun!!

A few small tasks followed on from my night shift antics... I managed to order a coolant temp sensor for my dash gauge, got it fitted and also re-wired the plug so its nice and fresh, as you can tell from the picture, it looked a bit grotty! Temp gauge didn't really move after swapping the sensor so I instantly thought thermostat, luckily I ordered one last week with my coolant temp sensor but didn't have time to fit it.
    Coolant Temp Gauge Sensor.JPG

Also finally got my new custom intake pipe fitted(courtesy of DirtyDog Fabrications)! I love it, and gives a bit louder induction noise, aswell as stable idle etc which I haven't had before due to my previously dodgy pipe haha
    Fresh Intake.JPG

We also fitted the STL Windscreen banner that I picked up a while ago, and had sitting in my glovebox for when I got a new windscreen(which never happened)
    FB_IMG_1501319949311.

After this it was just a case of preparing for STL, loading the car and being on the way! Luckily I didn't have to load much due to my mum coming up in her camper the following day, so all my tyres I put in her camper to bring up so they didn't take up all the space in the 13 - was also time to fill up ;)
    _20170801_054003.JPG

We headed up to the north Wednesday lunch time, and got up to our hotel(Posh ey? Nope, was only a Travelodge) for around 4:30ish... I was absolutely shattered, foolishly I had taken a hayfever tablet that morning, that is also a sleeping tablet, so that made the drive up less enjoyable!

Thursday morning arrived, and me being the eager beaver I am, I wanted to get to the track ASAP! So we were there for 9am(Travelodge was only 10 minutes down the road, and bearing in mind that drifting didn't start until 11am either...). Got there and found my mum and found a decent pit space down near the track itself, and then Mr Brace turned up in his ridiculously low S14, absolutely love this car, simple and styled, very well pulled off! FB_IMG_1501562479994.

Then we went out on track and had a ball! Seat time was immense, constant and never really any big queues! And the first layout of the day was extremely fun, especially entering with no handbrake and lots of snap angle, felt really good and because my car is low powered it means I can keep the power down 95% of the way round and super fast transitions...
    STL V9. FB_IMG_1501412509024.
    Heres some onboard from this layout - not great but im getting there :)

Then in the afternoon it was the full outer layout which was top of 3rd gear clutch kick entries and pinned throttle right round to the pit exit and then drop to 2nd for a tight right hander and then back upto 3rd to link into the back S's - really fun and fast layout!!
    FB_IMG_1501565592831. FB_IMG_1501565585875.
    Again - heres some onboard from this layout - Shame my gopro was full as later in the day I had some real fun and lots of front lockups....

That's all for now...

• Like Like x 2
  19. Threadmark: STL 2017 Pics
    Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Few more pics that I've come across on the tinternet...
    FB_IMG_1501412521250. FB_IMG_1501415637426. FB_IMG_1501562516186. FB_IMG_1501562525632.

This picture, I didn't even know my bumper flexed this much!! I had no idea this even happened until the photographer came and told me in the pits after! Even then I just expected it to be a bit dragging on the ground or somet...
    FB_IMG_1501562522637.

20. Threadmark: STL 2017 - Daze's Pics
    Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

Daze @ DZEPhotography is an absolute legend!!

This is just 2 of the 20+ he got of me from STL - Sorry im posting so many photos, but these are the best!

Appears the little SR20DE does make some smoke...
    Daze.

Getting lowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Daze 2.