oil in the air filter pipe to turbo

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by mospin, Apr 22, 2011.

1. mospin

mospin Active Member

could anyone give some advise on some issues on my ca s13 engine is standard apart from air filter,hks exhaust and dv

1. i found a lot off oil in my air filter pipe to turbo. theres alot off side to side and up and down play in the shaft also less oil in the plenium side pipe as well . theirs also oil all down the drain pipe from underneath the turbo.

2. when you hit boost i can smell burning oil in the cabin but theirs no smoke at all from the exhaust

3.if the car is driven above 60 for about 5 minutes and then pull over there's a loud tap tap tap noise which dies down and stops after about 3minuites

4. every now and then from cold start up i get the same tapping noise but dies down after a minute

i really would prefer to repair the suspect and find out if its an easy fix so i can get the other simple parts i need but cant do that before i fix the problems above otherwise im just throwing money away if i cant repair it il decide to break it

thanks

#1 mospin, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  2. SteveC200

SteveC200 Used to drift, now I don't.

The ticking is probably a sticky lifter. The oil in the intake pipe is probably down to excessive breathing and its dumping oil vapour into the intake.

3. thomas666

thomas666 Member

compresion test ! if you rings are losing compression that will push oil in the breather and from there to intake pipe. we had the same problem with rb26det , cilinder 1 and 6 was down.

4. al.

al. actually dom joly

a little oil in pipes is normal. a lot indicates excessive breathing as said, or more likely leaking turbo seals on the compressor side, hence the play in the shaft.

so it sounds like 1 & 2 can be fixed by rebuilding/replacing the turbo, and 3 & 4 can be fixed by pulling the lifters and bleeding them

5. mospin

mospin Active Member

okay thanks for the info so first thing il do is change the turbo and smic for a fmic as its been on the car from 1989 so may as well upgrade that as that might be fubar

as for bleeding lifters i take it thats a head off jobbie then

thanks

6. VeeDubLiam

VeeDubLiam Member

Not head off matey, cam cover off, cams out and take the lifters out via magnetic forces :)

7. pizza_boy

pizza_boy Member

First thing to do is a bloody compression test!! im fairly sure a gauge is a LOT cheaper than a new turbo and intercooler!

My old cinquecento sporting did much the same, little oil in the intake, turned into a lot of oil in the intake, which then a couple of weeks later turned into a MASSIVE cloud of blue smoke as i dropped it down a cog to go uphill...

in its defence it still made it most of the way home after that before giving up completely...new engine jobbie and the cinq ended up in the scrappy :(

point is, if the rings are shot or theres major internal damage then the compression test would show it, and i'd be looking at that point for a new bottom end, as a priority not a new turbo and intercooler. heck, you might get a complete engine with a good turbo on it...

in such cases, expect the worst and be pleasantly suprised if its not.

8. Doc.jeb(TE71)

Doc.jeb(TE71) Member

Having oil in the intake system is normal but could be a breather problem like a faulty pcv valve. To check this warm the car up the rev it to 2000rmp hold for about 5-10sec drop down to tick over wait a couple of sec then back up to 2000rpm do this about 10-15 times it should start to smell of oil then blue smoke will start to come out of the ehaust then loads will come out.

Take off the breather pipes and clean them out, one goes from the rocker cover to the inlet pipe the other is 3 pipes all connected, were it goes into the inlet mani this is the pvc valve, its a one way valve and is common for going wrong on old engines. does not cost alot for a new one from nissan.

Turbos will have some play, the bearings float on oil so if the engine is not running there is no oil pressure and the play is the room for the bearings to float.

The tapping is from a sticky lifter, when was the last time the oil was changed it has to be done every 3000miles on a ca18det, do an oil and filter change with good oil. Do it again in a 1000 miles, engine is probably sooted up and this my help clear it if not then you will have to take the lifters out.

The oil on the drain pipe take the pipe off has the rubber perished it is about 20 years old. If it looks ok clean it up put new jubilee clips on, check it again in about a week to see if it is covered with oil again.

If it is you may need a new pipe you can get a high temp silicon one at a good price from viperperformance.

Maybe the oil is coming from were the solid drain pipe meets the turbo or it maybe from the oil feed and running down the turbo clean all the oil off and check again in a couple of days should help you narrow it down.

If you are going to start working on your s13 alot get a haynes manual they are worth they weight in gold they have all the torque settings you need alot of these pdf downloads dont have alot of info on them and dont tell you how to take it apart.

Hope this helps

9. SteveC200

FYI there isnt a Haynes manual for S13s.

10. Doc.jeb(TE71)

Doc.jeb(TE71) Member

year sorry its not haynes its chilton

11. SteveC200

Which covers the 240sx not uk S13s with CAs in them.:)

12. Doc.jeb(TE71)

Doc.jeb(TE71) Member

You are right i cant find a hayens manual covering the ca18det not even for a diffrenet car I have not long owned an s13 myself and thought if I could get a hayens manual for a 1980 corolla liftback then it would be easy for the s13.:smash:

13. mospin

mospin Active Member

thanks for all the info guys i done the check on the revs and she let alot off grey/blue smoke out the back took a few mins to clear so turbo has gone

ive found an oil leak from the rocker running down onto the mani and turbo so that would account for the smell

i also change the wmic for a fmic i had sitting about when i removed the wmic it was rusty ,holes completely naffed so now when i drive it the only time it smell off oil is when the turbo kicks in .

also now the fmic is on. on start up the dam thing whistles down the pipes anyone heard of that ,it soon clears up when driven

oil change/service is done every 2 months by myself.

next problem is now on tick over she pops and on drive overfuels would this be down to timing,plugs,?

also could you explain how you cure heavy breathing so i know as im not clued up on this so would like to know more info ...

and i download my manual as a pdf format off the net think it took me 2 weeks to find so ive stored it on my usb drive the thing is the holy grail and very handy to have but i cant look at it yet until i set my pc up when i move as i packed it:smash:

thanks

14. pizza_boy

pizza_boy Member

Poppings probbably due to the fact that the plugs are now shitted up cause of all that oil they're caked in :thumbs:

pop em out and wire brush em. see where that gets you as a short term fix till the oil issues sorted - no point buggering up new plugs eh :D

15. Doc.jeb(TE71)

Doc.jeb(TE71) Member

The rev test that i said was for the pcv valve not the turbo. If no smoke comes out of the exhaust when you hit boost when driving then the turbo should be ok.

With the fmic air filter and i am guessing exhaust, you must be getting near the limits of the standard ecu. Have you got a chiped ecu, putting on a t28 turbo may be to much for the standard ecu but i am not sure what bhp they can go to. I have got norris designs stage 1 chip which is good from standard up to 280bhp so you can run low boost for day to day and high boost for track time. Some of the chips I have seen on ebay dont seem to have such range you have to have what they state of it will not fuel right.

If you have changed the oil then the lifters will have to come out would be good to put new rocker cover gaskets and cambelt when you do the lifters, when you do it if you take off the rocker covers and start the car you should be able to tell which lifter is the problem but would be good to clean them all just remember to put them back in the same holes.

I have never heard a whistle before maybe there is a small air leak.

A bit of popping and banging is from the tuning mods the ecu is now putting in more fuel because there is now more air not all the fuel is burned in the combustion chamber some burns inside the exhaust which makes the noise, but this should not be excessive. Do what the other bloke said and clean the plugs also have you ever cleaned the afm its only a 5 min job and a dirty afm can cause loads of probs.

I am not to sure what you mean by heavy breathing could you try and explain a bit more.

16. al.

al. actually dom joly

:no: quote the opposite. compressor and exhaust pressure will keep the oil in the CHRA on boost. dead turbo seal symptoms are smoke on idle which clears on boost.

17. Doc.jeb(TE71)

Doc.jeb(TE71) Member

I still say it your pcv valve they are only £44 from nissan. buy a second hand turbo how can you be sure its any better than the one yr taking off. Did the popping start after you fitted the fmic it is prob an air leak my mates s14 popped off an boost hose and it ran like a tank put it back on ran sweet as.

18. SteveC200

I very much doubt its the PCV valve, otherwise mine would be smoking and shit because Ive blocked mine off. The valve is only ever open when youre off boost so makes no difference to the engines running when youre on boost.

19. Doc.jeb(TE71)

Doc.jeb(TE71) Member

I said its from a FAULTY pcv valve you dont have a faulty pcv valve because you have blocked it off.:smash: I would also imagine you have done some other mods to the breather system.

mospin's s13 does not smoke on boost he said it smells of burning oil also a FAULTY pcv valve does not cause your car to smoke at idle on or off boost you have to do the rev test i said be for which will show a breather problem like a faulty pcv valve. Which he said he did and loads of smoke came out that then cleared which makes me think breather problem.

I see that mospin has got 3 options.

1, Get a good turner garage that works with s13's to diagnose the problem

2, Clean the breather pipes and change the pcv valve at the cost of £50 and 10mins work

3, Change the turbo for a new one if you go for a t28 off an s14 then you will prob have to chip the ecu as well, at a cost of a couple of hundred £ depends on turbo and chip and a days work.

20. Oyama

Oyama Member

Fit a catch can and you won't have any oil in your pipes. Or if you do then new turbo.