Okay so who's sensible enough to have fitted winter tyres to their daily?

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by PhilMorrison, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Mike@TDSW

Mike@TDSW Active Member

Got loads of spare bm wheels no sets with stupid e39 centre bore though.

2. carlton mat

carlton mat Member

i had snow / gravel rally tyres on my senator last year was good fun but didnt do my diff any good

3. cptsideways

cptsideways Active Member

Studded tyres on not legal on UK roads that are'nt covered in snow ;)

4. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

I'm not buying any for snow, as TBH I must drive on snow 2 days a year on average.

BUT, and this is a question for those who have USED them, ie not many on this thread, up to what conditions are they a big advantage in?
    Obviously for a good few months its cold and wet, but I rarely if ever drive on untreated roads and snow.

5. tinker-27

tinker-27 Member

winter tyres and snow tyres are different most winter tyres are silica based and work better at a much lower temp.They rely on the tiny cuts to grip in snow, as they are a winter tyre so work in the cold and wet . i have them on my s type r jag and change it from a usless winter car to a usable car , the traction works half as much now even in the wet (no snow) . i just got some part worns from the local shop £30 each !! bargain

6. niko

niko md

No, not at all. It'd basically mean, anything having more than 200bhp would need some special 150+ mph winter tyres.

You're simply not allowed to drive past the speed index. And you shouldn't.

As an 18-year-old kid I drove approx. 30 miles at roughly 150mph with newish winter tyres rated 100mph and I'm happy to live today. There were 0,5 inch rubber bits coming of the tyres due to overheating.

7. Suprash

Suprash spl dori mater

I dont get why everyone is banging on about snow tyres, when you can get snow socks for you wheels for £40 off Ebay. Save buying at min x2 snow/winter tyres.

To the MX5 who had them on, did you say you run them snow socks on the rear with a welder, whats it like for steering on them ?

I reckon 2 winter tyres on the fronts, snow socks on the rear will make my 13 daily invincible, I'll reckon it give most 4x4 a run for their money :D

8. Lucasdemoley

Lucasdemoley Member

How about save money, hastle and insurance issues and just get a cheap set of snow chains?

BMW offers a service where they will store your wheel over winter if you fit snow tyres, then re-fit them in spring which is quite good!

Another option is to wrap your tyre with something ike a sheet (it was something like that, maybe something thicker) and it made a huge difference to the grip of the tyre in the snow ( was on like mythbusters or something!)

My dad has fitted snow tyres to his transit, but the TC keeps kicking in and its quite unstable apparnetly with them on so hes taken them off untill it actualy snows.

9. oscar-silvia

oscar-silvia Member

winter tyres come into thier own at 7 degrees and below

10. superclarkey

superclarkey DORITECH MOTORSPORT

I've never bothered.. nor have I ever got stuck if I'm honest.. Let my tyes down loads...

I think when you have a shit daily with narrow tyres they are not too bad as long as your not a dick and try to go up some roads haha.

luckly i can walk to work, so its don't effect me as bad.

11. bell

bell Without patience

as far as i know studded tires are illegal in the uk? we can have winter tires just not studded

12. rizk

rizk Member

Well that sucks 'cause they are way better imo.
    But a good stud less tire is still waaay better than summer tires, just not as studded ones on ice.

On the other hand, using winter tires when it's not cold is aweful, it feels like you are driving on marbles.
    The sidewall flexes like crazy and just aren't stiff enough.

Another thing i don't get at all is wide winter tires, they are almost as bad as summer tires.
    With winter tires it's not about the contact point being large\small but rather friction and laying properly down on the road surface.
    Wider tires tend to "float" on the snow so they make no contact with the road surface, in other words; Idiotic.

13. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

The response to this thread is exactly as expected to be honest. Loads of people who have never tried proper winter tyres saying they don't really see the need for them. I don't blame you, I was the same. I spent 13 years driving in snow with normal tyres. I never crashed, and if I ever got stuck it was so long ago that I can't remember.
    But that's not the point, the point is that winter tyres are made for the winter, not necessarily specifically for snow, they perform MUCH better than 'normal' tyres under just about any circumstance that the months of November to March can throw at them. We all like getting the most out of our cars, even if it's a crappy daily driver, and swapping some German hand me down winter rubber onto the car once a year is a massive performance upgrade that isn't difficult or expensive. So even if you're not bothered about the safety aspect, if your on Driftworks then surely you understand that concept of affordable modifications, so why wouldn't you fit winter tyres, just to embarrass the 99.9% of people that won't have them fitted? :D

14. -Tommy.

-Tommy. Member

Personally, because I'm so poor I can barely afford to fill her up! It's just a case of take it easier than usual and keep double distance if the weather is horrific.

:D

15. big fat nick

big fat nick smells

I've got some of the cheapo vredestein snowtracks with about 5mm of tread on them that are currently being flogged on ebay. Only had chance to drive on ice so far, not snow, and i'd say they add maybe 10% extra grip on ice, which is got to be good, if you get stuck at the wrong side of a hill. Looking forwards to snow, but i knew that once i bought them, it wouldnt snow!

I used to live in a ski resort in canada and can fully vouch for snow tyres, it could be a powder day and people would continue on with no problems in their crappy ski bum toyota tercels etc. We had studded winter tyres on out ford econoline van, great for summer smokey sparkey v8 burnouts!

I do have one fear though with me having winter tyres, i'm actively going to search out closed roads on yorkshires highest peaks, im pretty much asking for trouble.

16. superclarkey

I think what you saying is right Phil if i'm honest, it really should be the law tbh. The amount of stupid deaths that happen in the winter just because drive like its the middle of the summer is unreal, so I agree.

The point i was making which I really should explain, is when it starts snowing I normally just stop driving as to me its not worth the risk, and the short trips I've been forced to make I've been fine as its just local, but I did actually look into winter tyres this year about a month ago mainly because my front tyres are nearly dead and this daily is something i think i'll be keeping for a few more years so worth the investment.

I'm going to buy a pair of front tyres right now :) 185/60R14 ftw :D haha I may even go up a profile size just for the gangster large wheel effect haha :D

17. carters14

carters14 Member

I got 4 nice Falken snow tyres on the omega ready to rock:) I may weld the diff:nod:
    When we went to Germany last weekend every car had steels on with snow tyres they should do the same here surprising the difference they make.

18. Papercutout

Papercutout Active Member

Phil you twat, you've got me looking at winter tyres on ebay - I don't need to spend any more money atm :p Damn christmas time and all. Oh well, we'll see what happens!

19. FireStorm999

FireStorm999 Active Member

I have tried winter tyres, and there is a huge difference in cold + snow.

however, its not worth it in the UK.

i have no issue what so ever with my daily on normal tyres for 360 days of the year.

even in the 5 days of snow/ice i cacn still drive fine with no issues.

idiots are the problem in snow. not tyres.

20. superclarkey

Out of interest, places like Germany where its law to use winter tyres, do they grit the roads over there like here ?