Okay so who's sensible enough to have fitted winter tyres to their daily?

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by PhilMorrison, Dec 16, 2011.

1. wst

wst Member

Got Bridgestone A001's on the Cor'shite and the V40. They're 'cold and wet winter' tyres, not explicitly snow ones, but they have the same tread pattern as some of Bridgestone's more snow-orientated tyres). Water clearance is amazing, there were some right deluges last week and there was simply no aquaplaning whatsoever at 70, even. On my all seasons I would have been back down to 50 trying to hold onto the ground but these things just hang on. Going through a puddle on one side of the road would drag the car quite violently on the all-seasons, but with the winters on it doesn't pull across half as much.

The snow this morning was a bit shite so I didn't really get to test how they are for snow and ice grip... but there was enough snow to make everyone drive at 20mph when the conditions were legitimately "cold and wet" rather than "icey and snowy" where I was...

2. Damien

Damien ~London Folk~

I'm looking forward to enjoying AWD in the scooby as soon as I'm back. The R34 4door GT4 was ok last year but the benefit wasn't great due to it being an auto... and huge.

3. cptsideways

cptsideways Active Member

They do yes, but being on the continent they will have colder weather for longer periods, so they generally don't use salt which re-freezes at -7deg approx. (Which is part of our problem tbh). Further afield they lay down gravel which when it mixes in with the snow & gets compacted remains there & still works as the gravel pokes out.

Up north they tend not use de-icing stuff as it just makes the problem a lot worse, either clear the snow or leave it.

4. Haynesey

Haynesey Active Member

I just turn the traction control off on the VXR and see what happens :D
    Other car is a company car so couldnt give a shit what happens to it in all fairness, might blag an Antara today incase of the snow (shit i know, but its the only 4x4 choice working for vauxhall)

5. mazdachris

Problem is, if your vehicle can't grip in the icy conditions, then your ability to take avoiding action to avoid those idiots is seriously compromised.

People take this crazy attitude of "i'm a good driver, I don't need good tyres" and yet would be the first to criticize others for driving on tyres which were dangerously bald. Being a good driver isn't anything to do with being able to pull 100mph entries a centimetre from the wall. Being a good driver means making sure that your car is in the best possible condition, and fully prepared for the conditions in which it's going to be driven. Driving around on summer tyres thinking that you have some kind of incredible god given talent behind the wheel which will allow you to stop your car quicker than the grip of the tyres allows, makes you one of the idiots you say are the problem.

As Phil says, we all love driving, and most of us spend thousands tweaking our cars to make them handle better, go faster, and generally give us a more enjoyable driving experience. Why the reluctance to shell out a couple of hundred quid to make sure that our cars are prepared for cold conditions? You wouldn't drive on crappy ditchfinders in the summer, so why do effectively the same in the winter? It's stupid.

6. ElkWörks

ElkWörks Member

Spent a week in sweden in march and theyed had some of the worst snow in years. My mates 08' charger had cheap winter tyres fitted and i was suprised how much grip he still had, as with his v70 a few years back, however we had to go out in his wifes hummer h3 on stud tyres and that was unbefuckinglevable!!!

I fully intend to get some for our daily v40, but need a timing belt first!

7. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

I thought it was so people could show off on the internet about their big spec drift car they drift all the time (but nobodys ever seen them)?

8. Papercutout

Papercutout Active Member

What about those of us who don't spend thousands, and don't have multiple turbo powered jap cars and through our money away on lifestyler shit? We're the ones without disposable income, who cannot afford to spend a nice little chunk on snow tyres for 5 days a year.

I know you're generalising to make life easier, but please try not to bung everyone in the same category all the time. Possibly you could make some suggestions that're helpful.

9. mazdachris

Who is suggesting buying snow tyres? I'm talking about winter tyres which have a compound and tread pattern specifically designed to work best at colder temperatures. These aren't just useful in the snow, they're useful whenever the temperature dips below 5 degrees, where summer tyres are too hard to work properly.

The ones I've had fitted to my daily are rated for all year round use, with a snow symbol so they're legal for use as winter tyres. They're not quite as good as some of the pure winter tyres, but they're so much better than the summer tyres they replaced. Immediately giving far more grip, better traction, better braking, and they're even quieter and more comfortable. There really isn't a downside, other than simply having to pay for them. Right now, outside, on dry roads, winter tyres at the temperatures you can see now will outperform summer tyres by a considerable margin.

10. Liam.

Liam. Active Member

i have driven on snow and winter tyres and although a massive advantage , if the guy in front hasnt got them , your not going anywhere . And its cheaper to buy a knackered vitara .

11. mazdachris

I'd rather be the guy with winter tyres stuck behind the guy on summer tyres, than the guy on summer tyres sliding into the back fo the guy on winter tyres ;-)

12. gibbo s14

gibbo s14 the yarco

ive just got a set of 4 winter tyre from local tyre place for 150 quid for 195/ 55/ r16 and the tread depth is huge compared to summer tyre that most will be driving on this winter .
    ill have these on till march then swap the rims over the my 18s for the summer then ive still got a good set of winter tyre for next winter to .
    got to be safer with a winter tyre that can deal with the lower temps over winter

13. tequilagrae

Will be using my capri on my normal tyres in the snow. Nearly got stuck a couple of times but always made it other than when the snow was past the bumper and it was just snowploughing.
    This is my plan if i get stuck:

emergency rope snow chains.

14. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Well the used tyre place by me has a pair of 175/70x14 winter tyres, literally look brand new, for 70quid fitted (for the pair) so I might wang them on on monday, see what all the fuss is about.

15. Mau5

Mau5 Member

We had to watch this as part of selling them to customers, you can see a great difference, but the problem is that winter tyres are so damn expensive, and when used in normal weather will wear faster than an All Season Tyre, still didn't stop some guy with us forking out 4000 fitting 2 sets to a car and jeep of his with us!

16. Ed

Ed Anti-Dibs

Is it winter?? :p

17. badger.

badger. Member

lobbed on some winter tyres last week :)

18. niko

niko md

No not really. They sometimes have grit in plastic containers at critical places (e.g. uphill after sharp corners), so if someone gets stuck they can use it. The Germans use (too) much salt on main roads and autobahns.

Many scandinavian countries use grit even on main roads, but during heavy traffic it doesn't take long until it's everywhere else than where it should be.

19. Lucasdemoley

Lucasdemoley Member

Grit or gravel? Gravel works amazingly well. Where i used to live the council chucked grit on the roads and because it would freeze into the surface it was actualy pretty good. Only problem was the mess when all the snow was gone!

Everyone is saying the benefits of snow tyres when it gets cold, but flip this around, what about when the weather is good? We've had some pretty nice days in October/ november and might have some hot days in say march. If snow tyres perform better below 7oc, thats implying above 7oc they are worse. Fine in colder countires, but how often does this country stay beloiw that temperature for a sustained period? not often.

Like i said above, my dad put snow tyres on his van and it was so bad that he chose to take them off. Force everyone to drive with them on in this country and there would imo be issues, including people leaving them on over summer (my mrs car does about 5k a year, if I was forced to put on snow tyres for winter they would stay on all year) which im assuming they wouldnt work well in summer heat??? Also if you have to have a spare set and live in a flat, where are they going to go, the living room?

On abit of a side note, I have a company car and the company refuses to put snow tyres on the car. In this overly obsesed H&S world, surly if there was a significant safety advantage to having snow tyres they would be putting them on peoples cars?

I get the point but I just dont think the weather in this country justifies the exspense and hastle of fitting snow tyres when you dont live out in the sticks and need them on ungritted roads.

20. bubblesjs

bubblesjs I like wheel slips

lol, maybe I should invest in some, this happened this morning due to black ice...
    [​IMG]