Okay so who's sensible enough to have fitted winter tyres to their daily?

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by PhilMorrison, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Marcar

Marcar Well Spoken Man
    Staff Member

Hang on a sec.... :confused::confused::confused:

Anybody please do correct me if i'm wrong but i'm seeing allot of talk here about buying part worn snow tyres...

Guys, you're aware that part worn winter/snow tyres exist but don't actually work anymore?? Winter tyres are made with a particular compound and tread only effective over a certain tread depth 4mm

I've always been lead to beleive that although the legality of the tread is ok like on most part worns, having a low tread depth (below 4mm) on them is about as use as a chocolate fire guard because the effective design of the winter tyre has been and gone??

2. billham

billham Member

I know i never bothered about winter tyres before do often think if should get some tho. When it snowed last year i stuck some snow/gravel rally tyres on back of the mx5 it had so much grip just went every were. Just glad my boss ex rally driver so got loads kicking around workshop, my boss like them as got aload on steelies which he make me stick on front his cars.
    Only down side to them is get alot road noise off them sounds like old landrover lol. Heres pic ones i was running.
    [​IMG]

3. aundre-3000

aundre-3000 Member

tbh the video of the x5's isnt that relevant for most people because it hardly snows here but this vid shows even in warmer conditions than now they are a bit better than all weather tires

4. niko

niko md

I've mostly seen coarse grit. My guess is, they avoid gravel as it's not too windscreen-friendly.

5. oscar-silvia

oscar-silvia Member

the main problem with using winter tyres in summer, is in the warmth they wear down too quickly, you dont really get any less grip.

6. cptsideways

cptsideways Active Member

As mentioned above we've run them for years - If you drive like miss daisy (so not us lot) they are fine for the summer, but any sporting driving forget them. We just switch ours over when the clocks change or when I can be assed to.

My wife takes 15m of the hilly back lanes to work every day, last year she tallied up how many cars she'd seen in the ditch/hedge/crashed by the end of the winter it was over 40 odd. She had no bother every day, the roads are ungritted, most of it was sheet ice underneath too. That was in her Tdi Golf. The only mishap her car had was me being over enthusiastic with the handbrake & bunging it in the hedge :D

Funniest was when Joycey came to stay at mine, it snowed a fair bit, he could'nt get his skyline out of the almost flat carpark here, I bunged some snowies on & he got all the way to Plymouth (130m) without a hitch on them.

Taking the Landcruiser out towing people is funny, the number of people who don't have towropes in their cars, dont know where the towhook is or how to fit it. If they have neither I offer to push them up hills from behind with the Landcruiser or leave them!

7. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

The ones I can get are like new. In fact I think they are.

TBH though, if you're buying 'part worns' and they 4mm or less, I'd go somewhere else and buy em...

8. Paz

Paz -NIGHTSPIRIT FAMILY- UK Drift Since 2001

If it snows and you cant get anywhere just stay at home, sack work and go sledging.

9. Karan

Karan Active Member

I've fitted some new cooper zeon ltz to my rangey in 275/60 r20 flavour. Can't wait to try them out, it was awesome before but should be mental now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With 35mm bolt on spacers too!

10. Yeah_Mick

Yeah_Mick Beauty Purr!

this isnt in chapmore end is it?

11. Karan

Karan Active Member

Yep just behind where I live

12. Cowpatmatt

Cowpatmatt Active Member

These should do me for the winter weather. 16mm of tread would be enough I think and a soft compound too.

[​IMG]

13. siderider

siderider Member

brought some cheap budgets for my van, which look like off road tyres, at the time 4 weeks ago didn't seem a good idea. hopefully we will get some snow and get some use out of them.

14. Yeah_Mick

Yeah_Mick Beauty Purr!

about a mile from me then, how have i not seen your ps about?

15. _Rach_

_Rach_ Member

I've been selling winter tyres like crazy for the last few months at work, not actually bought any for my MX5 or the Skyline (lol)...
    I've just switched my company car for one that can cope with winter better :)

16. Rhys_sx

Rhys_sx -NightWalkers-

i had colway mud / snow tyres on my mondeo in the snow last year ,