Opel Manta A 3600 -71

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Mikko, Dec 7, 2006.

1. -***JOKER***-

-***JOKER***- Shopping Trolley Drifter

one more question mate...

what is your camber toe and etc and is it adjustable at the rear as standard? i guess i can play with it a little... what are your numbers on suspension setup?

2. Mikko

Mikko Member

None taken Joker about pics :-)

lookin quite nice. But 13x8 steelies...? May look nice but you cant get any descent brakes that fit with those.

My Mantas suspension has not been especially setup for drifting in serious form, it has pretty soft basic lowering springs. Tight rear stabilizer (or sway bar, whar the heck is it?) keeps the rear end from inclining? when drifitng and i used to setup rear shock absorbers very stiff when drifting, springs are way too soft but doesn´t seem to matter too much.

But have to say, if looking this now, this is not a drift (race) car, it may be drift compatitive car for rookie class. Car progress has stepped huge amounts in here past few years and Drifitng has turn from fun hobby to a serious competion.

Front upper balljoints are installed 180 wrong way (those arent symmetrical) that gives about 2.5 deg negative camber, normal toe in.

Biggest issue with Manta A is (when drifting any way seriosly) to get needed amount of lock in front tyres, if you know what i mean. First comes front stabilizer, then front brakes to the way, and wheel arches arent that big also.

I havent done anything for that, wheels dont turn much over 30 degrees. In my Kadett i came a cross with similar problems. I have quite good receipe for Kadett (same basic principle of suspension in this) and to get wheels turning about 55-60 degrees but you need to take wheels out about 10cm on each side. So maybe time to think fender flares etc.

3. -***JOKER***-

cheers fella,

this wont be a drift comp car, this is for fun drift days and so on car and it will probably my daily as it turns heads a lot then any other car i been in...

i dont like the 17s dont like the way they look and they touch the arches all the time it destroyed the paint already, i had the 13 steel ones before so i ll just chuck them in, i ll go to 15 or 16s later on when i remove the drums at the back...

this is up front right not rear, did you get any camber from the rears?

i ll look into this once i setup the car...

just a couple more questions if you dont mind

where did you get your Polyurethane bushings for front and rear and where did you get your sway bar? is it direct fit or did you modify manta b sway bar...where did you get your dials in dash white ones...

and could you get some more pics of your cage detailed ones if possible around the dash especially...

thanks for all the info mate especially the suspension i never thought to turn the balljoint 180 degrees before:thumbs:

#63 -***JOKER***-, Sep 15, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  4. Mikko

Mikko Member

Yes front, adjusting rear camber and toe isn´t quite easy in solid axle, maybe heat and bend method :D And dont have any need to in my opinion, its just fine like it is. Almost evebody around here uses about 0 camber rear in Pro specs cars.

Bushings from Dr.Manta or Lenk De, front subframe bushings i would recommend to weld solid. Swaybar bushings that come to lower control arm i would highly recommend to custom made from polyurethane etc, i have original those and im not happy at those.

Roll cage, i think all the pics i have from those are posted in this topic.

5. -***JOKER***-

thanks a lot mate i ll look into these this week :thumbs:

6. S.W.A

S.W.A Member

love these cars great project !:thumbs:

7. pintovit

pintovit New Member

Just out of curiosity, anyone ever thought about dropping a LS3 into one of these?

8. Mikko

Mikko Member

Me, in my dreams :-)

But no not really into this, it has mostly been sitting in garage since 2007. MOT:ted it still every year and driving few times in summer. Been thinking to do little to suspension, make wheels turn even 45deg, add hydro and drive it some grassroots events. Oh, and have 50mm ITB:s from E39 M5. Those are coming to car at somepoint, just have too much projects...

9. MileyPrower

MileyPrower New Member

I have a question for you about your wheels, what offset are they?

10. Mikko

Mikko Member

Those are 8*15 et20, front and rear arches need to be rolled a bit.

11. santa pod

santa pod Member

coool car!!!

12. Mikko

Mikko Member

Topic is ancient but Manta is still exactly like in pics at previous page.

I´ll try to upgrade it a bit for upcoming summer, and take it sideways at some training days.

Lots of time has gone into my current racecar, and it´s always blast to drive. But +700hp car is real tyrekiller and bit expensive to drive for laughs.

[​IMG]

#72 Mikko, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  13. mantahead

mantahead Member

cool manta buddy.

14. RalcoBe

RalcoBe New Member

Hello,Did you keep the same internals in the ZF LSD? Where did you buy the Steel driveshafts?
    Thanks a lot

15. Mikko

Mikko Member

Don´t remember what make that LSD is, from Opel Omega 2.0 -88, fits quite easy to older opels and are stronger than original ones in these.

Shafts, custom machinery shop that makes drivetrain parts to rallycars, called "Sorvaamo Karpiola"

16. Mikko

Mikko Member

I did take Manta out on the track last weekend, first time this summer. And also had a chance to do nice photoshoot... My friend did tested my Camaro. So i went on track with Manta and followed him, cool to see your own cars in tandem shot :wack:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Btw: i also took salesphotos of this at summer, haven´t change that much in last decade when you look at this threads first posts ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#76 Mikko, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  17. mint

mint touch my fruit

Thats a really smart looking car man. Looks clean.

18. MaXsteri

MaXsteri New Member

Looks awesome