OS Giken Twin Plate Part Number?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Doritofu, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Doritofu

Doritofu Active Member

So in my FJ20et motor I found a completely rooted OS Giken twin plate, and since it has a specific flywheel I cant justswap the clutch on its own for an HDCB like I'd planned.

I want to know if anybody can help me find the part number for this clutch and figure out specifically what engine it is for so that I can see about rebuilding it. (there are several different clutches for FJ20s and R30 skylines, all different.)

The only number I could find was N 23000 91-5 stamped on the back of the diaphragm

I'm pretty sure It's part of their TS series clutches, (the older style) and it seems pretty unique because the clutch disks have 6 (puks?) rather than the usual 4.

I feel like the dude might have just bought one for some random skyline-- and then thrown it in there hoping it would work.

The disks are around 205mm (204mm) outer diameter and the flywheel is 305mm outer diameter with 120 teeth

Here's some photos for any kind soul that wants to help out.

fXBQy7N.

rd5ODmQ.

I appreciate any help.

Cheers guys

2. Doritofu

Doritofu Active Member

RESOLVED

It was a TS2B for the DR30.

TS = their slightly older design that is good for moderately tuned vehicles like mine
    2 = twin plate
    B = 204mm diameter clutch plate
    D = spring dampers (which mine doesn't have hence no D)

I was stuck on the 6 puk thing but it turns out that's how they used to make them but it wasn't strong enough so they changed to the 4 puk design that you see these days.

3. stevieturbo

stevieturbo Member

4. Doritofu

Doritofu Active Member

NEW PROBLEM

So I've found somewhere were I can source the parts to rebuild and I need some advice on my two options.

Both from RHD Japan, I can either buy:

-Overhaul Kit (disks, clutch cover, center plate, pressure plate, bolts)
    -Release bearing

This first option comes to $1,105 NZD

Or I could just get:

-Clutch disks,
    -Cover plate
    -Release bearing

This second option will only cost me $750 NZD

I need to know if it is really necessary to buy the center disks and pressure plate when mine don't seem to be very worn at all, just a little rusty. They're just plates of metal after-all and I can clean them myself.

5. stevieturbo

stevieturbo Member

It's up to you to determine whether your parts need replaced or not...you have them in front of you to see.

We dont.

But if parts are not worn or damaged, then there shouldnt be any need to replace.

6. Doritofu

Doritofu Active Member

Yeah my bad, thought I had a better photo of the wear.

8aZmTOR.

u6x7k0y.

To me, I'd say that's practically no wear at all, just rust which I will be able to clean off. But I know f*ck all about clutches, especially expensive ones. Hence why I'm asking about it.

Cheers

7. stevieturbo

stevieturbo Member

It has seen a fair amount of heat.

But are the surfaces flat ? both with a straight edge, and by feel ?

Do they measure flat at both outer and inner edges ? And fairly evenly ?

Scintered discs like that are thing when new, so not usually a huge amount of life in them, although if you knew the thickness of new discs it would be handy to compare to what you have now.

the corrosion would just clean up first time you drove/slipped it a bit anyway, so not of great concern

If the friction discs were still pretty smooth and not too badly worn, I'd nearly be tempted to run it as is