Peripheral Ported FC3S RX7

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Scooby J, Apr 22, 2011.

1. bbcfc

bbcfc Member

thats a nice white fc in the back... lol

[​IMG]

2. Scooby J

Scooby J Member

Yeah there is alot going on at the shop. I try and spend an hour at the end of the day doing some tinkering with my stuff. Don't always get the chance. She's comming along nicely tho. Knowing the motor runs well its just the body now really. Run her in and then rag the shit out of it.

With the GT30 on her it will be.

The bumper in black shows a little more of the shape around the bottom lip.

[​IMG]

#142 Scooby J, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  3. Scooby J

Scooby J Member

Pic of it balanced on!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. povlsen

povlsen Member

Just read the whole thread!! nice job there mate. gonna sound ace!! considdering doing the same with a 20b next year.. keep up the good work

5. haza88

haza88 Active Member

Very nice mate really like the look of this got a time attack look about it looks sweet

Also the engine setup looks lushcan't wait to hear this rippin!

6. finney84

finney84 Member

Jason with the red s14 was telling me about this! Gonna be awesome when its done! Love the fab work :)

7. Scooby J

Scooby J Member

cheers guys,

finney your only down the road from the workshop, i'm in whyteleafe.

8. LTM

LTM Member

This is awesome stuff. One off like RWB but with more filler and an FC :thumbs:

9. TaxiDori

TaxiDori BEER CLINCH

Savage!! This will be my cars role model :)

Love the front bumper.

10. Ben!

Ben! Rotard.

can we get an update on this?! LOVE this build!

11. Scooby J

Scooby J Member

Cheersfor the comments people.... feed back is always great. Nowi'm just waiting for sometime to get the big push to the end. Next stage now the car is fully mocked up with a running motor its time to strip the thing bare and build it back up once and for all:

So the body stage will be to:
    - remove everything bonnet,doors,wings,hatch,diffuser,bumpers.
    - strip the suspension off along with gearbox, roll bars, lower arms, diff, subframes. Remove tyres strip the wheels.
    - Pull the interior and wiring loom for ecu/ fuse boxes and battery relocation. Take out sound deadening material.
    - cut the inner doors as much as possible without looseing the window motion, unless i can come with with a better idea
    - Rear seats will be ditched as they are about as much use as a chocolate tea pot

Then i can strip and prep the doors wings and bonnet ready for paint, along with the bumpers and body. The subframe will also be striped and havea new coat of paint.

While the motor is out i'm considering changing the intake set up. Much shorter inlet runners to suite the long primaries on the exhaust. This means removing the master cylinder to get the trumpets the that area of the engine bay. This means that a pedal box with individual cylinders will need to be drafted in to take care of the cltuch and brake operation. Probible go with an OBP set up. Had a go a set in a customers car. I'm also going to replace the brake lines throught and possibly swap the fuel lins out for hard lines to make the car neater.

So all in all lots to do!

12. Skifledanabit

Skifledanabit Member

I think you've just written out the list for what I mainly need to do... Thanks!!! Lol

13. Scooby J

Scooby J Member

Its very fustrating getting a car to a nearly built stage and then braking it back down. Oh well needs must!

14. Scooby J

Scooby J Member

Had a little play with the intake. Waiting on a new flange to turn up to finish it off but very obviuos the difference! I wanted to make the inlet shorter to match the exhaust set up.

Prior length - 410mm About 16"
    new length - 250mm about 9"

Shortening variuos bits led to some matching up issues that would have caused sets in the throttle bodies and pipes. so this happened:

Chopped air horns

[​IMG]

With the tapper and the cut is let a far larger exit on the air horn so there would have been a step on the way in. Not good for the air/fuel flow so marked it all up and honed it out so the from the tip of the air horn down to the butterfly's in the throttle body is a nice grandual tapper. Nice and smooth.

[​IMG]

The step

[​IMG]

You can see the difference in the black rings

[​IMG]

Honed

[​IMG]

The bodies in new location with the inlet tubes cut too. The top pic is the old and the bottom is the new

BEFORE :

[​IMG]

AFTER :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#154 Scooby J, Apr 14, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  15. Scooby J

Scooby J Member

ALL CHANGE!

There is a massive issue having a car sitting in the workshop for a long time. You just KEEP changing your mind. Too much time looking at it saying..... What if i do this!!!

Any way, stock fuel tank dropped, boot floor and some more of the underside cut out and removed. Should counter act the weight in the rear Qtrs. Another potentional exhaust change for areo reasons to stop flow being spoiled on the way out. Customs diffuser to come.

Hopefully the front and body work is on the way so i should see that soon. Front bumper, stacked carnards and splitter. I'll then make an undertray for that!

The Rota's are back on as they didn't sell and the MS-01's did. Shame but they went to a good home so thats cool.

Only have a couple of pics and the exhaust ones are an old unit i did years ago but wont be desimilar to the newly fabricated one. Reasons for the change, aero and noise cutting (not so concerned about the last one)

I'm going to keep the single exit rear section so when we eventually get her to a dyno i can compare the two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mock up but basically how i'll have it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#155 Scooby J, Jul 11, 2012
  16. Scooby J

Scooby J Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#156 Scooby J, Jul 11, 2012
  17. Scooby J

Scooby J Member

With a few bits awaiting delivery i decided at this point to crack on with the engine bay as the motor could then go back in.

So first off i striped the original loom right back to bare minimum. Just the light, pop up motors and wiper looms survived. The ECU loom has to be re built as the ECU is now in the rear of the car with the fuses/relays and battery. once chopped wrapped and sorted i could get on with a very quick once over of the engine bay in my lovely green.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#157 Scooby J, Jul 11, 2012
  18. Scooby J

Scooby J Member

body colour

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then the sun came out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#158 Scooby J, Jul 11, 2012
  19. Scooby J

Scooby J Member

I'm aslo still in two minds on how to re do the rear of the exhaust. I'm going to be using a similar set up to the RX8. Split the 3" single into 2 but will split from 3" into dual 2.25" which will be closer area size to the 3" than using dual 2.5".

Here's a RX8 dolphin that i nicked from the web but the most likely the design i will use

[​IMG]

Here are a few others ideas. These are a couple of other desgins that are NSX exhausts. As mine will sit in the same place it seemed a logical place to start looking for inspiration. The first is a GT style item. One large muffler across the back with a single side exit. looks cool but yeilds no real benifit over a single FC exhaust in terms of sound deadening

[​IMG]

The second id more like the RE A rx8 Dolphin system. Using 2 seperate mufflers that lay parallel to each other.

[​IMG]

The desgin of the 3rd is much the same as the one above ut importantly uses one larger silencer with dual pipes running through

[​IMG]

Choices, choices. I Will be running the tips in the centre of the car for no other reason than it will look cool. I will more than likely use the RE A style design as it should take enough DB off with out wrecking the pitch the of the exhaust note I have a feeling that the final style using the one box will.

I have made both styles for RX8's in the past, should have kept the sound files!

20. Papercutout

Papercutout Active Member

The pipes in the centre won't look cool, trust me. They need to be out nice and wide. I'd also keep to as few bends as possible and a single large silencer. Quieter on idle, but noisy on boost. (that's how my RX7 works anyway)

Good luck anyway, you do some great work!