PG9 issue - Modifications deemed to require an IVA

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Marcus_E36, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Marcus_E36

Marcus_E36 Member

Random one - Forgive me if it's in the wrong place but didn't know where else to put it.

So today my exhaust came off the hangers (E36) Nothing too mental, just the rear silencer was hanging down and it was blowing. I quickly rigged up a big jubilee clip to secure it (all other hangers were in place) and carried on my merry way. Get to some traffic and get pulled over by the police.

Explained my situation "Exhaust fell off, have put a temporary metal hangar around it so get to work and will use work van and get it fixed blah blah"

That didn't satisfy them so they go through the car, eventually call out a traffic officer to inspect the vehicle. .

He took a look around the vehicle and checked everything. After having a look he deemed the following issues to be enough to revoke the MOT status there and then and issue a PG9.

1. Rear Exhaust Section Insecure (fair enough, I had explained the issue and the exhaust had not fallen off and was not really loose)

2. OSF Bumper corner insecure (it hangs down about 10-15mm due to the fact it's an E36 and the brackets are shite, again the bumper is not physically loose)

3. PAS not operating (It's removed)

4. ABS system showing as possibly defective (again, this has been removed)

5. Crack in windscreen Zone B. (Fair enough, it is cracked and probably due a replacement)

This is where it gets confusing: when I was talking to him, he mentioned due to the extensive modifications (Bucket seat, wheel, PAS delete, ABS delete, suspension, Hydro) That the vehicle is subject to an IVA ?

I didn't want to stand and argue with the bloke but I thought that only implied to Kit cars/Structural changes to a vehicle.

Just a heads up to people and might make for an interesting debate.

2. woods1

woods1 Active Member

It's not subject to an iva, just the police being a dick and bored. If it was then he would have enforced it but he didn't. Just unlucky you caught a copper bored. Listen to his shit and carry on regardless

3. Marcus_E36

Marcus_E36 Member

Well he has PG9'd me and reported me for driving a vehicle in dangerous condition. which seems excessive.

4. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Were the PAS and the ABS systems removed properly, as in full system removed and all the warning lights??

Have you checked through the new MOT manual, previously if they were properly removed and not showing a warning light it'd pass the MOT.

5. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

If you wanted to tug his chain then you should have mentioned that such vehicles are now exempt from portions of the MOT (MOT manual seciton 13)
    So most of the things he would be doing you for would actually not apply.