pinion height question

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by R34nov80, Jan 13, 2015.

1. R34nov80

R34nov80 Member

What is the issue here, is the pinion to high or to low? Please see photos.

Basically I have transferred a 4:1 pinion into a different casing, which required the existing pinion bearing to be retrieve and press on to this new 4:1 pinion, everything with the pinion is good except the height when diff is fitted, looks tell me its to low but the workshop manual suggests a reduction in pinion washer height.

I apply some titanium oxide to observe the contact between the gears and on the drive side it is high up on the toe end??

There was a little bit of gear oil applied to submerge the pinion bearing which might show on the outer heel side of the gear ring.

An help would be much appreciated, thanks.

[​IMG]

2. R34nov80

R34nov80 Member

more photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. R34nov80

R34nov80 Member

backside also as the oxide transferred from the pinion freshly marking the ring gear

[​IMG]

4. Boss

Boss Member

you say you've transfered a pinion, i am assuming with its matching crownwheel? whats your backlash like?

5. Tony N

Tony N Member

6. R34nov80

R34nov80 Member

Thanks for the replies,

The pinion and ring are a matching 4:1 ratio, I have changed only the pinion bearing to allow it to fit my abs casing.

All the instructions indicate the pinion is to high on the ring gear, I did not rotate smoothly so I have not used a DTI to check the backlash at this point.

I press the bearing onto the pinion with a 3.33mm height washers so I will ring Nissan tomorrow to see if the can supply me the parts, I have a Nissan workshop manual it has all the instructions and part numbers.

The selection of 20 different height washer have 0.03mm increments from 3.09 mm - 3.66 mm (3.09, 3.12, 3.15, 3.18 etc).

Instructions say lower the pinion away from the ring so I will try the 3.09 and 3.18 to begin with as I am well off with the current 3.33, then reference the contact patches of the meshing gears and adjust with a new height washer according to the instruction.

So that's where I'm at and I could really use a little more advise from anyone who may have experienced this.

I have a big hydraulic press and during this build I modified a bearing splitter to safely remove the pinion bearings so it should be possible to finely tune the meshing;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Boss

Boss Member

yeah that'll work, i would suggest getting a dti and checking your backlash though, 0.004" / 0.006" or 0.1mm / 0.15mm from the FSM,

did you measure your pinion height in the other casing before you stripped it? there is an actual Nissan tool for measuring/checking/setting pinion height, its like a dummy shaft that bolts into the casing to replace the pumpkin and diff unit, I tried to get one from Nissan and got met with blank looks, and I cant make one as there is no mention of any dimensions anywhere,

8. R34nov80

R34nov80 Member

Both used the 3.33 mm height washer, however the 3.7:1 and the 4.1:1 pinion gear a different sizes.

I couldn't turn the diff smoothly it did rotate but the meshing is off and I felt knotchy and rough.

I have read backslash range of 0.13 - 0.18mm being standard values, I did some check before remove the diff from the old case and the meshing was ok, I have not touched the ring gear or diff, only remove and replaced a pinion bearing.

Calling Nissan in a moment to try get some more height washers.

9. Tony N

Tony N Member

You need to set the backlash before you check the contact patch as both backlash and pinion height affect it

10. R34nov80

R34nov80 Member

cheers

#10 R34nov80, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  11. deadringer247

deadringer247 Member

Just to revive this thread, I have been doing the same today. Pinion is super high. So high that it actually touches the centre when the cw is bolted in and locks it solid. I always thought the shims would be a little closer to the needed thickness but not mm's out.
    How did you get on with this?