Possible Lada build... SR20DET, 1JZ or RB20DET Engine?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by supernova-dw, Feb 22, 2015.

1. supernova-dw

supernova-dw Active Member

Hello everyone from Vientiane in Laos (Yes most people probably have no idea where this is??)

I'm running my own small garage and am going to start a project to attract some attention and get some work in.

The car which will be used as a base is a Lada, I'm not using this because it's a top choice of car but simply as it's the only decent shell I can get for a sensible price... Cost less than £400 and it's very clean and tidy with very little corrosion etc... An E30 full of rot and filler starts at £3000 here!!!

Anyhow I'm trying to think of the best engine choice?? Kind of down to 3 different choices which are SR20DET, RB20DET or 1JZ-GTE....

As I see it so far:

SR20DET: costs around equivalent of £900 for a Red top complete with gearbox, wiring, ancillaires etc... I know the SSR20DET is a very popular option and as far as I'm aware pretty reliable!?

RB20DET: can be had very cheap! Complete engine, manual box, wiring and ancillaires I can get for the equivalent of £400... Be slightly more hassle to fit I'd imagine but no major issues... Quite an unknown engine to myself but from what I do know the RB20DET is supposedly the hardiest of the RRB's? Its seeming like a good option so far!

1JZ-GTE: I can get for £600 equivalent which again is for the whole set up including wiring, ancillaires but an auto box.... A R154 to convert it to manual is around £600 again plus of course other costs for clutch and flywheel etc... No need for questions about the engine itself I know their great!

So as I'm on a budget what should I do? To begin with I would run whatever engine I choose as stock... Just front mount intercooler, exhaust system and air filter. I won't be going for mad power but say 350 in future... I know the 1JZ will do that easily but as for the other two engines I'm not so sure... I understand the RB20 turbo is crap so would need changing which would add up cost wise.

Any ideas and suggestions welcome! As soon as I get the car I'll begin a build thread.

Thanks in advance.

2. speedykonzales

How about a Saab engine with Opel gearbox R25/28? These engines here go around 200€, maybe less. Gearbox is around 50€. I just bought a full engine harness and ecu with 20€. To program the ecu yourself you need a canusb cable which should cost around 130€.

E: Probably you already knew that.

3. supernova-dw

supernova-dw Active Member

Thanks for your reply, I'd be more than up for this power plant but there is 0% chance of me finding one in this part of the world and also 0% chance of finding any parts for one here so sadly will have to dismiss it.

At the moment I'm thinking RB20DET.... Seems to be great 'Bang for buck'

4. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

what is the front subframe setup like on the lada? id go for whatever fits in the hole the easiest.
    RB20 is a fair old weight over an sr20.

5. S333FSL

S333FSL New Member

Any update on this? What did you go with in the end