Project Manual Lexus GS300 skidder

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by kyle5894, Jul 27, 2015.

1. kyle5894

kyle5894 Member

I got back to Derry for the first time in like seven months in December 2019 and it was time to get hands on the car for the first time since parking it up.

Starting to strip the front end down.

IMAG1526-min.

91795307_722664441805359_243841206247751680_n.

As I had to pull the engine I was planning on finally painting the bay. With the arches, underside and interior sorted the bay was the last thing to clean up on the chassis. Stitch welding the front arches had burned through the paint on the engine bay in places and it had started to gather a bit of surface rust so it needed doing.

Before painting though I wanted to cut out the lower rad support that I mangled and make a new one.

91497165_3330417370305055_825612853116403712_n.

After cutting it out I made to plates to plug weld and bend to shape to attach my lower rad support to.

IMAG1528-min.

IMAG1529-min.

I made the lover rad support mainly out of 25mm steel tube, but I also used some 25mm box section in the middle to give myself a flat surface to bolt an aluminium plate to.

I don't know what radiator I want to run yet as all the GS ones have an auto gearbox cooler built in. I'm not going to use it obviously, and I was thinking about trying to get a radiator from another car in there. This design will allow me to change aluminium plates, (that will contain the rubber grommets for the radiator mounts), for different styles of radiator. I can experiment without having to cut and therefore repaint the lower rad support.

91502815_216505029456945_8930330133395406848_n.

By this stage it was time to head back off to Edinburgh. I had started to book trips more frequently to work on the car as I wanted it sitting completely perfect for the start of this summer. Not only are there a few big things on the list, like getting a running engine in it, there are a decent few small things I still need to tidy, finish or fit. Thats looking unlikely now though due to Covid....

I ended up back in Derry for a couple of days for my mum's 50th in February, managed to squeeze a few hours on the car while balancing not being a bad son haha. My granda had a ratcheting engine crane from the 60's lying about so I made an optimistic plan and hoped the beams on my garage roof were plenty strong.

IMAG1734-min.

IMAG1742-min.

IMAG1741-min.

IMAG1743-min.

SWEET, yet another thing off the list. At this point I was, and still am, itching to get the car back and better than ever. Booked another weekend in March

It was really looking sorry for itself at this point

IMAG1747-min.

IMAG1750-min.

Time to finish the lower rad support, I would have done it sooner but my welder broke making it. I made up the brackets for the oil cooler and power steering cooler, and the spot it ties to the upper rad support and Morgan towed the GS down to my uncles, who had a decent MIG, with the Corolla.

IMAG1940-min.

IMAG1935-min.

With that done the engine bay was ready for paint. By this stage places were starting to close due to covid-19 so materials were hard to get. Had to key the entire engine bay with fine grit sandpaper as I couldn't get the scotchbrite stuff or whatever the automotive equivalent is called. With a lot of uneven, tight surfaces this took wayy too long.

Anyway, got it done, then it was time for primer and paint.

IMAG1942-min.

IMAG1943-min.

IMAG1944-min.

IMAG1947-min.

IMAG1949-min.

I literally finished painting an hour before I had to leave for my flight. It was left to dry for a day then the wiring loom was untied from the roof and the car was pushed into the garage to await my next visit.

And that is us fully up to date! I had planned to go back for another weekend sesh in April, but thats now looking entirely unlikely. I am really itching to get stuck back in too, we will have to wait and see.

Next on the list:
    -Tear engine down
    -Decide whether to repair or replace
    -If repairing get whatever parts I need, pocket port the head and port match to the two manifolds. (I know its not going to make much of a power difference NA, but it should when I go turbo and I want to learn).
    -Paint lots of little brackets, maybe front bash bar etc
    -Sort my sick neons I started
    -Fit gauges (water temp, oil pressure + temp)
    -DO A SKID

#181 kyle5894, Mar 28, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  2. Sammyboi

Sammyboi New Member

Proper! Definitely needs a turbo to comply the looks.

If it's something deeply iternal you need to jump the gun and boost it. :)

I heard these aren't bad NA-T even without oil squirters and the weaker rods if you don't push it.

3. kyle5894

kyle5894 Member

Cheers! Yeah, I'd love a turbo but money is always the limiting factor. It'll definitely get one when I can afford to do it properly but I'm not going to piece together a cheap as chips kit so I can spend half my time at the side of the track with the bonnet up.

Reliability > sick turbo noises

Yeah, when I go turbo I'll definitely stick in a pair of non vvti rods for peace of mind, they can be had pretty cheap. The GE also has the oil gallery for the squirters so the block can be drilled and tapped for them!

4. kyle5894

kyle5894 Member

I think for the first time ever I'm writing an update to say I've done everything I said I was going to do on the previous update. I forgot about that list I left myself and I've done everything on it, apart from do a skid obviously. That was optimistic.

Flights started again after my good friend Rona and I booked a week off work to head back to NI and the garage.

First thing I done was start to fire bits back on to the freshly painted engine bay, mainly to clear some space to work in the garage.

IMG_20200704_171008.

IMG_20200704_201409.

MVIMG_20200706_125318.

IMG_20200706_125336.

IMG_20200706_125346.

It was actually so good getting to work on it again after nearly five months, I didn't really get to see how the paint came out last time I was back so seeing it all clean and fresh definitely got me hyped on getting it back together.

Its been so long since I seen the exterior all together though, I miss when this thing looked good.

As promised I painted a pile of brackets:

IMG_20200706_220902.

IMG_20200706_220918.

And also fitted said brackets:

IMG_20200712_133357.

IMG_20200712_133315.

IMG_20200712_133320.

So thats how the engine bay is looking right now, I have refitted almost everything I can without fitting the engine first. I still need to flush out the oil cooler lines and thermostat before refitting that and I need some gold reflective tape for a few areas that get pretty hot.

I also fitted the gauges that I've had sitting in the parts pile for about a year. It took so long because I didn't know where I wanted to put them, primarily I didn't want to obscure my view in any way so I've ended up squeezing them in in front of the switch panel.

I wanted to test how my wiring skills have come along so I made a proper nice wiring loom for them, don't have pictures as of yet. Just need to make the take-off loom that runs to the sensors as there is no engine to point the wires at right now.

IMG_20200712_133406.

IMG_20200712_133419.

I also permanently wired in and tidied the under car and in car lighting wiring. The control boxes are hidden behind the switch panel and there is a switch for each box. I am so excited for ~HOTBOI LIGHTS~

I also done a few other things like repainted and griptaped the pedals. I thought I'd leave the compbrake logo on the accelerator pedal uncovered but i'm going to re-grip the full face. My foot will wear through that paint again otherwise.

IMG_20200712_163707.

But what about the engine Kyle?

I know, I know I'm getting to it

Well to be fair the original plan when it blew was to replace it as I knew where there was one cheap. That since sold and the price of even the GE's are going up so I decided it would be a good idea to split the old one and see if it was repairable. It's not.

Long story short I pulled the head off and piston 1 was nowhere to be seen, it had left the building. The conrod and gudgeon pin have also badly damaged the cylinder bore, my fault for starting it several times after it blew to really make sure it had blew.

I didn't get any photos of stripping the engine as we were too busy filming. My little brother and I have had a YouTube channel that we have half assed for a while now, but recently we agreed to try and put a bit of effort in. So if you want to see what exactly happened the 2JZ or two Northern Irish lads being idiots in general I'd appreciate it if you gave this a watch:

So anyway, now I definitely need a new engine.

5. stormtro0perN

stormtro0perN New Member

Sweet Build ! :dw:

6. kyle5894

kyle5894 Member

Cheers bud!

7. kyle5894

kyle5894 Member

Shot a pile more video than photos the last time I was home so for an interior update you're going to have to watch this:

Going to try to get back into the habit of taking photos when I get home at christmas to keep the build thread going. Should hopefully be a bit more active in 2021 because I finally got my finder out and GOT AN ENGINE!

So I've got a sick chassis sorted and ready for an engine and now an engine to go with it, I just need to fire the two together. Its been a year and a half since this thing ran.

IMG_20200712_133419.

8. Alex Simoes

Alex Simoes Member

Just spent the last 2 and a bit hours reading through this all. Thank you for the entertainment haha

I have to give you lots of praise for building this thing yourself, definitely a one off and YOUR car.

Looking forward to reading future updates.

9. kyle5894

kyle5894 Member

Cheers mate, glad you enjoyed it

Aye its definitely mine, I've put a depressing amount of hours into this car haha

10. dave14a

dave14a New Member

Class build, just read this from the start. Never seen this around the town before but seen your brothers Corolla in Dungiven a few weeks back.

When you get the engine back in, any chance I can take a few pics of it?

11. kyle5894

kyle5894 Member

Cheers mate, to be honest I forgot about this build thread. Got an engine in the car at Christmas 2020 and I've been skidding it about Edinburgh since. Next time I'm back in NI with it we can defo link and get some shots. Add me on insta, drift_gs