Question on buying modded 240sx

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by ^Rocket^, Dec 27, 2016.

1. ^Rocket^

^Rocket^ New Member

I'm relatively new here so sorry if this is the wrong sub to be in, but i have been looking at a 1996 S14 240SX lately, and noticed that many of the parts may not be stock from my limited knowledge. don't know enough about engines to know if its good or bad, and a google search has not brought up any answers for me, so i was hoping any of you could help me with my question.

1: i'm not sure if this is stock so please tell me if its not
    2: would this be bad for the car decreasing value and overall ability to drift
    3: would this be a good car to try to start drifting in, or would it be more trouble than its worth
    4: how far away from vanilla is this

the cars quote:
    [FONT=&quot]
    RB25det Series II, turbocharged R33 GTST Skyline engine with Greddy Power FC D-Jetro fuel and boost control management system. It is cooled with a Mashimoto aluminum radiator and dual electric fans. It has a Walbro 255lph fuel pump and a Top Secret exhaust. The automatic transmission has been converted to a 5-speed manual.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The exterior is done in white with black hood and sits on an NEX suspension with full coilovers. It has a Skyline GTST R33 subframe cradle and a R33 VLSD rear differential. It has a Kouki Silvia JDM front-end conversion (fenders, hood, bumper cover, projector headlights, turn signals and fog lights), Kouki Silvia JDM trunk lid and wing, Kouki Silvia JDM tail lights and Kouki Silvia JDM rear bumper cover.

[/FONT]
    If you all need more information or pictures ill try to provide them, if i'm in the wrong sub sorry

2. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

1. No, not stock. Has a 6 Cylinder Skyline engine (RB25DET), not a KA24DE.
    2. You're going to drift it...why do you care about decreasing value?! It will have more power, seems to cooling mods and suspensipn with decent parts.
    3. Possibly not, your JDM conversion parts are expensive and you'll need to replace this if you crash.
    4. This is Rum and Raisin mate.

3. ^Rocket^

^Rocket^ New Member

Thanks for the reply!
    In your opinion do you think the engine swap would be bad, i assume sence it has more power it will be heavier, could that effect the drift badly? and in general do you think it could be a good drift car? or just a money pit.

4. Saddened

Saddened Member

About every owner wishes a RB25det S body but it is quite expensive to do.

For a beginner (I am a complete beginner, so speaking from my personal experience) get a stock car and work on it. When you get that down, then go for upgrades. Power wise, there is heaps to do before you get to NEEDING an RB25DET.

5. ^Rocket^

^Rocket^ New Member

yeah i was thinking go vanilla but this is pretty close and this is for about 12k so i thought it could be a good deal, just wanted to make sure. sad most of these arent vanilla for a good price anymore

6. thenextdk

thenextdk Member

When did people start spending a retarded amount on their first drift cars?

'Complete beginner' maybe get a basic car??? You'll learn more in an underpowered car rather than rely on power to learn with. Anyone will tell you that.

7. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

You'll smash that car into a barrier within the first few months as a beginner, buy something cheap to start off with.