R200 from C32, will s13 R200 diff packages fit?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by s13silvia, May 27, 2019.

1. s13silvia

s13silvia doughnut muncher

So despite claims of them being 'bullet proof' daily driving my car for about 1000 miles my welded R200 has shat the bed with no abuse whatsoever. Now my question is, as research provides answers as clear as mud, can I use an S13/s14 diff package (KAAZ,Quife,Nismo etc) inside my C32 R200 casing? I see that there's a considerable amount of variation with R200's.

2. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

You're not going to find a lot of C32 info tbh

You're best to find yourself a worn out S13/S14 LSD, pop the rear cover off, pull out the C32 diff and measure measure measure. Try unbolting things like bearing shells and swapping them over.

If you've confirmed that it is interchangable, pull the viscous unit apart and shim the living crap out of it. The amount of camber you were running means you shouldn't need a fancy 2-way. I've been running a shimmed viscous for 4 years now with a mix of 60/40 road/track and it still twins fine with 400hp and 215's

If it doesn't swap over then shim it all the same and resell at a higher price to make your money back & some

3. s13silvia

Cheers Ben,

really appreciate your answer, I've been scouring for answers from T&T boys as they're right into their C32's but almost all of the ones sold there came with the banjo rear and not the IRS so they got the H190 diff.

Your solution seems like the best and most logical approach and those diff's are cheap - it's a pisser I can't just find a direct replacement as it's my daily car and I have work in a few days so in a bit of a bind. I've noticed the wheels still turn in unison on the ground, so I'm hoping its just bits of weld that have broken apart inside but I'll have to get it off the car to investigate regardless.

Haha the camber isn't optional, I'd need fully custom trailing arms to correct it, or to fabricate the rear beam to re-align the tabs. Seen a few eccentric bush solutions but by all accounts that only removes 1 deg at most. I've raised the car a bit to correct it, but still looks like a cartoon car from the back ;-)

I have a question about fancy 1.5 and 2-way lockers though. At slow speeds do they allow slip because I f*cking hate the way my car clunks chirps and jerks around in car parks with the welder.

4. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Mechanical LSD's clunk and bang a lot at low speed. A lot more intrusive than the tyre chirping of a welded too

Whereas the shimmed viscous will only chip on wet surface. They have enough give in them to open up in high-resistance situations (ie low speed parking)

5. s13silvia

Ah, that clears things up a lot, nice one!

Might have found an answer scouring the r31 and SAU aus forums (fairly damn certain they use the same long-nose r200), it seems Cusco MZ fits, and also the Quife ATB fits with no stress or mods. :thumbs:

I'll investigate a little more before splurging but thats reassuring news.