R32 RB20DET Cutting out

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by yetis200sx, Jun 3, 2018.

1. yetis200sx

yetis200sx Member

posting for a friend that has a r32 that keeps cutting out so any help is greatly appreciated.

The car cuts out when it gets hot, when its cold its perfectly fine. and does hunt on idle sometimes.

Quote from my friend below :-

'Whenever the car is warm after 30 odd minutes, it feels like a fuel cut under load and will not boost at all. Struggles to hold an idle after switching it off and on several times. Have to wait a few minutes before it moves again. Cruising along a motorway after a while it will start donkeying and there is no response from the throttle. This problem has occurred since the weather has gotten hotter.'

We have changed/found/repaired

1.igniter pack aquired from garage D and put the original back with no difference.
    2. RB20DET green label AFM.
    3. Currently has new Splitfires coilpacks and a new loom.
    4. NGK Spark plugs BKR7EIX which i dont think are right as what i have google say BCPR7ES . So could this be the issue?
    5. i did find the jubilee clip loose to the turbo after the AFM so the mixture would of been thrown out. This did improve things but it still has said issue.
    6. there seems to be a slight air leak on the solenoid of the ACC but im not convinced this would cause these issues as the leak isnt significant.

2. Ramon

Ramon Member

Yes.. problem indeed

Standalone ecu?

3. Lime

Lime New Member

Heya yeah it's my R32 playing up.

Car is bog standard as they come even has the standard air filter box.

Only upgrade as said is the Splitfires coilpacks and the ecu is standard.

Yeti noticed Saturday evening the aac/iac valve was leaking and whilst the engine was running we unplugged it and nothing happened.

The AFM I got from garage D was in a far better condition as my old one and the car dies when you unplug it so the AFM is ruled out.

4. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Sounds like it's related to the temp map
    Change the coolant temp sensor for the ECU (not the gauge)
    Your FICD / AAC valve shouldn't be leaking. Fix that
    After that, check your fuel pump is getting 12V (do the hardwire mod if not already) then put a new fuel filter in it, then a new fuel pump (it could be fuel related as the cold map runs a richer mixture, which may mask a starvation issue)
    Finally, check the O2 sensor is working correctly. If not, replace

5. Baba

Baba Ex SuperSlide member

I agree with the post above, could be temp sensor.
    Don't think it's mechanical as if compression was low it would run better when warmed up.

Could be either fuelling related (fuel pump/filter) or Temp sensor.

Hope you get it sorted mate.

6. Lime

Lime New Member

Yeah bit of an update. Haven't touched the car for a couple months after this so I gave it to Garage D to sort out.

They tried several AFMs and found a decent one which cured the cutting out and loss of power issue. Whilst there they found my fuel tank was pretty rotten halfway so they cleaned it out as best they could and I gave them a Walbro 255lph to install to replace my old rusty one. Yes its been hardwired because the wiring to it has been tampered with back in Japan :/ but the fuel pump is really noisy. Like it almost drowns out my decat, catback 4" exhaust system haha. Is this normal for Walbros? Also they mentioned it loses some fuel pressure after 30 - 40 minutes of driving which I found out on my way back home. Sometimes between 4,000rpm and 5,000rpm, it bogs down, kinda feels like fuel cut or limited. Could it possibly be fuel cavitation? I haven't driven it since I got it back.

Thanks for the help so far lads!

7. Ryannn

Ryannn Mmkay.

If you find a resolution let me know! I have the same issue with my RB - Driving down the motorway at 70 and it feels like you're lifting off the throttle, give it a boot then it goes again then intermittently keeps doing it!

I cleaned the AFM sensor and it seemed to fix it for a few weeks, but now it's doing it again.

8. Lime

Lime New Member

Pull out your fuel pump, have a look inside. Ended up converting mine to the plastic gtr one due to rotten fuel tank. Also changed the walbaro fuel pump because the rust almost was chocking it of fuel, which made me wonder why it was so noisy haha.