R32 Skyline GTS brake rotors & hubs

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Tony240Z, May 30, 2009.

1. Tony240Z

Tony240Z SHIFT_oldschool

R32 Skyline GTS brake conversion, feedback needed

I'm going to upgrade the brakes on my 240Z sometime in the future, and I'm contemplating on what parts to use to make the upgrade as easy as possible.

The 240Z comes with 4x114,3 hubs. There are discs up front and drums in the back. The factory rotors are small and narrow, making them easy to cook when driving hard, even with factory pads.

The R32 Skyline GTS has bigger rotors, four piston calipers up front and two piston calipers in the back. The rotors are much bigger and thicker than in my Zed, and it stops reasonably well for a car of its size. In a much lighter car like the 240 these brakes should perform reasonably well, even on fast tracks.

So my questions are:

- What is the Skyline's PCD, 4x114,3? DBA website says they have 5 lug hubs.
    - DBA website also says that the Skyline rotors have a 68mm centre hole, while the 240 has a bigger 81mm hole. Would this be a problem if I tried to to mate the R32 rotors to 240 hubs?
    - Other than the calipers, rotors, pads and brake hoses, what parts will I need to change?
    - What is the smallest wheel size that I'd need to have after installing this kit?

I think that this upgrade is exactly what I'm searching for - there are many aftermarket rotors and pads available for the R32 GTS, plus the factory calipers are cheaper than, for example, GTR calipers.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

tony

#1 Tony240Z, May 30, 2009
    Last edited: May 30, 2009
  2. Tony240Z

Tony240Z SHIFT_oldschool