R32 Skyline

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Pikey, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Pikey

Pikey Active Member

Hey y'all

I've got an R32GTR and would like to know your opinions on where best to spend my money to get it set up a little better for drifting :)

Already got Tein HA coilover setup, which is soft enough for normal road driving on its softest setting, and absolutely brutally stiff if you wind it up :wack:

Got 17"x9.5" wheels with 255/40 Kumho tyres, and another pair of rear wheels with same size tyres on ;)

Got an HKS boost controller waiting to be fitted, which should see the car at somewhere close to the 400bhp mark, and a new Nismo clutch that can supposedly cope with that power.

Got a big c/f wing at the back too, but that's more for aesthetics than anything else, me being the tart that I am :D

So I was thinking harnesses next possibly? What do you think?

Jeff :)

2. james

james Administrator
    Staff Member

Welcome :wave: :)
    definitely bucket seat and harness :nod: Ideally a steering wheel too if the normal one is badly positioned and covered in lovely slippy leather.
    Then, depending on how you get on, an uprated LSD, but you can wait until you feel the standard one is holding you back before you get one of them

3. Pikey

Pikey Active Member

Steering wheel was one of the first things I replaced on my old Civic, but the Skyline's driving position is nigh on perfect, and the wheel is quite small and very nice to hold, so I might keep it for now.

Also the standard seats are quite bucket-like. They are stiff backed and have harness slots, and hold you fairly tightly. I might just add a harness first and see how I get on :)

I saw yours and Phil's cars at JAE and they looked the absolute business :cool:

I want a driftworks sticker, was thinking about the silver one - but to be honest it's got to be bright orange really hasn't it ;) :D

4. james

james Administrator
    Staff Member

:nod: :D

5. SidewaysRob

SidewaysRob Member

Get a Torque controller so that you can put 95% of the power to the rear wheels.

4WD power understeer doesn't look (or feel) anywhere near as good as opposite lock drifting.

6. Tom

Tom dangerous brotherhood

Yeh, grid dancer do a full controller which is good, or just wire in a switch to the 4wd adn flick it on or off. Although u have to be stationary when u do it.

7. Genjuro

Genjuro keyboard drifter

That said though you were properley opposite locking that R32GTR at Anvdover so it is possible.

8. Mr Doricar

Mr Doricar JDM Loose yo

RWD Controller

HKS is discontinued, the only one still avail. I know of is the Field one. Last time I got one it was around £350 all in. Can get hold of them through a mate in Japan if you're interested. Other than that you could ask Option nicely

9. SidewaysRob

SidewaysRob Member

Oh yeah, had almost forgotten about that! :wave: :thumbs: :D :wack:

10. james

james Administrator
    Staff Member

Other thing if it's a GTR is you may need a HICAS locking kit for the back wheels

11. Pikey

Pikey Active Member

Oh yeah - never thought about that! Hicas computer would probably burn itself out after an afternoon of drifting :D

When going sideways the car doesn't transfer as much torque to the front wheels as it would if you were going in a straight line, so in that sense it acts very much like a RWD car. But luckily, if you pull the ABS fuse under the bonnet this also completely disables the 4WD system, with no ill effects long term on the car. Apart from the life of the rear tyres that is ;)

My car does not power understeer in any way! Quite the opposite in fact :D

Jeff

12. Bladerider

Bladerider Ajudged scoundrel !!

Wrong.

You will need to drop the front prop if you are going for a proper drift session as opposed to the odd bit of opposite lockery, otherwise the transfer box will get destroyed. You will also find that the rear diff isnt much cop when it comes to proper drifting and you will need a locking plate type diff.

The Hicas is easily locked with a kit available from many sources, tomei do one for quite reasonable money I believe.

The best place for you to spend money BEFORE attempting any more drift sessions is in the normal areas you would expect for high power engine life, as drift usually requires high revs maintained for longer than normal periods. Believe me, I have just watched a very nice GTR engine get mashed at a drift event, and there is nothing worse than finding out the hard way.

Things you will need if not already fitted.....

Uprated oil pump
    Uprated water pump
    Big sump kit
    Oil cooler
    Bigger radiator
    Intercooler upgrade would be handy to keep inlets down as heat soak will be more prevalent
    Catch tank is handy but not essential

Things that are more optional but still helpful......

Hard pipe kit
    Steel head gasket
    Better spark plugs
    Boost controller
    Good form of rev limiter (not a fuel cut obviously)

Then start spending on suspension.

Hope that helps,

J.

13. Pikey

Pikey Active Member

There's a familiar name :)

Are you sure what I said was wrong? Because I got that from the GTR forum and I know the R32 4wd system works differently from the 33 and 34 one, as they always drag a bit (5% IIRC) of torque through the fronts so yes, you'll kill the transfer box doing that on later models but not R32s. Pull fuse = 100% RWD :D

I have new standard oil pump, and crank splines are in perfect low mileage condition
    Oil cooler on the way
    Catch tank just fitted
    Nismo head gasket
    NGK spark plugs (grade 7)
    HKS boost controller to be fitted

If I was entering pro competitions on a regular basis then I'd spend the 10k or whatever on the list of mods you suggested, but as a bit of fun on the odd weekend I am inclined to think you earn a lot more money than I do ;)

But thanks for the advice, I'll see what I can do :thumbs:

Jeff

14. james

james Administrator
    Staff Member

sounds like you've got all the sensible engine mods done, as long as your cooling's up to scratch, you should be good to go.
    As long as you can set it up in RWD mode, I think the most important thing is just to get out there and give it a go and see how you feel :)

15. Bladerider

Jeff,

That came direct from Mark Gillam, as a refernce for an R32 that has just been built specifically for drifting. The front wheels will still be going round at a radically diferent speed to the rears and hence the problems.

As for engine safety, just because you got a 32 doesnt mean you get to spend less than us 34 boys as the basic cars are the same. Said 32 above lasted three laps and a few too many revs in the heat of the moment ran an end. The money thing is nothing to do with it, those mods come to a lot less than you think.

Uprated oil pump......£600new or poss find a good second hand one
    Uprated water pump......£500new
    Big sump kit.........£500ish fitted if you ask the right people nicely
    Oil cooler......you got that covered
    Bigger radiator............£500 new from someone like pace, or maybe get a second hand one.
    Intercooler upgrade........type R is only about £800 new, and theres always someone upgrading/breaking, so should be loads less. I got my £1700 HKS GT for £700 !!
    Catch tank.....you got covered.

£2500 if you ask the right people, heck I would expect Glen (Tokyo) could get you that lot for way less than 2k with his contacts.

At the end of the day, if you cant afford to do these mods to a GTR you cant afford to take it drifting because you will run an end or similar.

This advice is free, Im not trying to knock you, just informing you of things I and others have learned the hard way.

J.

16. james

james Administrator
    Staff Member

if cooling is an issue, you can always knock the boost down a bit. Although it's nice to have, you don't need massive power for drifting.
    I run my S14 at about 10psi although it's capable of much higher because I'd rather have a slightly slower car I know I can thrash the tits off all day long :D

If you really want a car primarily for drifting, a GTR isn't ideal as you'll always have the compromise of a system designed to run 4wd trying to run RWD.

17. Bladerider

Exactly !!

And dont forget that the GTR is significantly heavier than a GTS.

The reason the GTR I mentioned has been converted is so that the garage that owns it can easily swap parts over at the track or before the event and take it dragging/racing as well. But this has no bearing in the parts I listed.

J,.

18. james

james Administrator
    Staff Member

just thinking out loud here, but I doubt you can get as much steering lock on a car with driveshafts going into the front hubs......

19. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

GTR's are not drift cars, IMO instead of spending XXXX on that, you should spend XXXX on importing an R32GTS-T drift car, they can look just as good, and go sideways a hell of alot better.. Or buy a standard one in the U.K. for fuck all, strip it, bucket, diff, antihicas, coilovers, job done :cool:

20. Pikey

Pikey Active Member

It's not intented to be purely a drift car by any means. I want it for road driving, track days, drag racing, drifting, all sorts. If I get hooked I'd much rather be taking a sheddy old thing to its sideways limits than a Skyline.

I just want to have a go, maybe at one of the Andover days or something, just to see if I can do it, enjoy it, and maybe fancy getting something more appropriate for the job.