R33 Spec 1.5, cylinder 4 not playing :(

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by DoriDave, Apr 4, 2014.

1. DoriDave

DoriDave ~~Sore-Arse~~

Hi guys, I'm having a problem on my R33 Spec 1.5, its missing on the 4th cylinder from the front. All other plugs are fine, just 4 is wet and can see the top of the piston face is nice and moist through the plug hole.
    Took all the plugs out and fuel pump fuse, cranked it quite a few times, put new plugs in, replaced coilpack harness with a good 2nd hand one, cranked it again, then replaced the fuel pump fuse, still running on 5 and I can pretty much guess it's still cylinder 4 not kicking in [​IMG]

Had a diagnostic a couple of days ago which came up with a p1320 code, IGNITION SIGNAL PRIMARY, this was before the new plugs and harness.

Ran fine when I bought it last Saturday, idled beautifully on the sellers driveway, drove it for an hour and a half with no drama's including stop start traffic on the M25 and M1, then 8 miles from home, dropped to 5 and been there ever since.

Any other suggestions?

2. Matt_slater

Matt_slater Member

Have you tried swapping cyl 4 coil with another to see if the misfire migrates?

Also check the compression, ringlands can be a cunt

3. DoriDave

DoriDave ~~Sore-Arse~~

Yep, tried that, even moved spark plugs around aswell. I'm thinking either the loom further back or possible an injector playing up.

4. gixxerboy

gixxerboy Member

You could get a mate to crank it over whilst the plug is resting against the cam cover to see if it is sparking

5. DoriDave

DoriDave ~~Sore-Arse~~

Yeah, I'm gonna give that a go tomorrow, plus I'm going to bite the bullet and do a compression test too, just to ease my mind. It doesn't smoke or anything but just want to make sure.

6. DoriDave

DoriDave ~~Sore-Arse~~

Definitely no spark on #4, maybe the mess of an ecu loom explains my issue!!!!

[​IMG]

7. DoriDave

DoriDave ~~Sore-Arse~~

Sorted, now back on 6, think it was the fact that the ECU plug wasn't in properly :D