race car options

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Nickson-Msport, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Nickson-Msport

Nickson-Msport Active Member

looking to build a race car or 2 to hire out for racing, and was after some suggestions for a good base car, that would be competitive and eligible for as many different series as possible to ensure it gets hired.

n/a engine would be best, and base car under £5k. and a car that spares are easily obtainable. i was thinking possible type r hondas could be a good base. civics or integra.
    let me know what you think, and series the car would be eligible for

thanks
    nick

2. akinadan79

akinadan79 Active Member

MR2's have their own series don't they mate, and would be cheap enough to pick up a couple of decent ones. UK were NA's I think...

3. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

mx5 . cheap when it goes wrong, awesome base car to make even better

4. Nickson-Msport

yes mx5 and mr2 are both popular options and very cheap base cars which is a bonus. i was also thinking about clio 172/182, pug 205 gti, 106 gti,306 gti6, civic type r, any other ideas?

5. Nickson-Msport

e36 beemers aswell, lots of them about and cheap, lots of engine choices etc

6. akinadan79

akinadan79 Active Member

How about one of each (Civic/MX5 or MR2), that way you get double the amount of company exposure by running in two different race series

7. Nickson-Msport

yes we may build a couple of cars just need to get a plan together of what is a popular car that will be financially viable, easy to repair/replace, reliable and competitive without costing the earth to build.

8. deano_123

deano_123 Member

inexperienced driver + rwd = lots of damage

if its for actual racing and not silly drifting id go fwd

9. Robbs

Robbs FRANTIC

dont be daft RWD isn't an instant death trap lol if you're confident enough to hire race car to enter races most likely you'll be able to handle an MX5 :rolleyes:

10. akinadan79

akinadan79 Active Member

Well if you're after FWD, I know a garage in Hereford just down the road from me that has a really tidy JDM NA Celica belonging to his daughter, and they've got a GT-4 for spares. I reckon £600-£700 would secure both. Maybe a Celica would be an option?

11. Ness

Ness Member

12. hug - lo

hug - lo Active Member

1600cc and french mate - Mega popular! I'd say the most popular cars I have seen running in meets are 1600cc fwd hatch's and caterhams/kit car esq! This is purely based on my eyes and many weekends spent up at mallory watching them fly round and round!

13. brennon

brennon Active Member

The answer you want to hear- 106 gti, rally box with quaife LSD and cams. Cheap as chips and you know how awesome it would be (also got some bits here that could sort you a lil bit)

Realistic answer- do you still have the caterham?! No brainier, fix that up and you're sorted!! Still got a 944? Again, sort that!!

14. Nickson-Msport

yes caterham is being built very soon and will be sold, bit high value really to risk. was going to start with something a bit cheaper and see how it goes. thought about the 944, but again, the car would be worth over £15k in race trim. plus im already doing my 944 turbo as a personal track car.

15. crackers

crackers Member

924 for would be a good call, we run a load of boxsters in the Porsche Championship, growing hugely over the last couple of years. You can pick up a cat D boxster S for £5000 if you take your time but they have to run a specific cage to comply with the regs.

16. Rossi

Rossi N/A fo life yo

BMW E30 for Production BMW series? cheap cars with limited regulations and great sized grid :thumbs:

17. bessell

bessell Member

E36 m3 or e46 330i gets my vote lots of weight can be lost and they are quick or what about 200sx's I know they're turbo charged but they are good fun and cheap, 306 gti6 or Clio sport will be great fun but might feel lost on a big track, Honda's are good but I have kept up with a few ep3 type r's in my 328 touring so not amazing. Tbh id get the 330i loads of potential there to be had and cheaper to maintain than the e36 m3.

18. JohnJ

JohnJ Active Member

And what series are they all eligible for? Lol.

MX5s are the way to go as has already been said. Max5 is a great entry level series and the whole pack is off the shelf and a dead easy build. I did one in a day once. Provide an arrive and drive service and even help with ARDS and you're in business.

19. bimbleuk

bimbleuk Member

Already mentioned but MR2, MX5 and BMW Production saloons. All with quite popular championhips.

20. J_K_P

J_K_P Active Member