RADrift - Big Auf is200

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by TheHouse, Jan 11, 2016.

1. TheHouse

TheHouse Member

So. Time for a built thread I suppose.
    Never done one of these before so bare with me...
    _W2A9718_zpsq82py9rl.

Firstly, an introduction.
    I've been around drifting for the last few years, however I've never really been involved myself due to apprentice wages, life getting in the way, etc. I've had a couple of RWDs, including this shitty volvo
    b96fd364.

And this shitty e30
    IMG-20131018-WA0007_zps3dc8b7bf.

However, I never really attended any skid days, and the most sideways I went was basically doing styleouts out of wet junctions.

I've known the Rainbow Alliance guys for a few years, so regularly used to go to Lydden to hang out / watch skids.
    Eventually this turned into me carrying tools and tyres and becoming their general drift support guy, in this beaten up, 250k mile Alfa estate rolling on cut springs.
    20150605_164453_zpshiexsq4u.

Obviously, the more I was hanging around drifting, the more I wanted to get involved myself. So eventually, after passing out of my apprenticeship and finally starting to have a bit of disposable income, I took the plunge and bought myself something to learn in.
    I didn't fancy an e36, as there's so many about and I don't really like how they look, so I purchased a nice, standard is200.
    20151208_144052_zpsu4b7rlf8.

As you can see, it is a base S model, which is ideal as it means it does not have an electric sunroof or electric heated seats. Being 6 ft 6, I struggle to fit in most cars, so the extra headroom of having manual seats and no sunroof meant that I could actually fit in this one!

Next, I started to stockpile parts.
    I bought these 17x9 et 18 Works VSKFs
    FB_IMG_1452518167448_zpstwrg9fgu.

From team mate Adam, who had them on his 180sx (bollyswan)
    FB_IMG_1452518160202_zps8atytlfg.
    Which, then got sold on to Chapman (angrydan).

I also bought these Dare RS, which are 17x8.5 and 17x10 et25
    20151229_135448_zpsvxj4cnjh.

I ordered a Toyosports Decat manifold and Link pipe, to give the feeble little engine a bit more grunt.
    IMG-20160109-WA0020_zpsz9ets9cq.

Then, in the January Sale I ordered some HSDs from Driftworks, and with the help of the Rainbow Alliance lads, we fitted them over the weekend.
    Obviously they were wound all the way down to their lowest setting. I'm hoping the fronts will settle a little more but we shall see.
    20160109_142808_zpsmekkj0ey.

Fitted tyres to the 10j Dares for the rear, they are 215/45/17 as far as I can remember.
    20160109_153442_zpszhnih9rm.

Tyres on the VSKFs are 215 40 17, although they are a bit chunky so probably will drop down to 195 40 for more clearance.
    20160109_140055_zpsrt7im8ha.

Had to roll the arches a smidge once it was down, but it sits nice, and still rides well!
    20160109_173451_zpsl3mqisfj.

20160109_180808-1_zpskstrsewj.

So that is about where we are at currently! I have an auto diff with Marshall at M&M being welded, just waiting for the word from him so I can take it down to be fitted. Also I have a Nardi Deep Corn to be put on, although I'm being lazy and haven't done it yet.

Next month I will be buying a JUN lightened flywheel and OE spec Exedy clutch, as the current clutch's biting point is quite high and the release bearing has started chattering, and I've heard the flywheel makes a massive difference.
    Also need to sort out some lock spacers, where can I get some from for this? Anyone know what size is safe to run?

Finally, here's a few more pics.
    IMG-20160110-WA0011_zpstqoiw1z4.

20160110_140542_zpstaipipeb.

FB_IMG_1452448723726_zpsxpttcsbm.

www.facebook.com/The.R.Alliance

#1 TheHouse, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  2. Leno

Leno Member

That black car black dares combo looks fucking sweet! Not got a couple for the front too?

3. TheHouse

TheHouse Member

Yeah I have the pair of 8.5s but don't have any tyres for them at the minute, plus I fancied the VSKFs as they're wider and better offset...
    Although I may change them up, im not sure yet.

4. FFSEwan

FFSEwan Member

Awesome Start man

Is there much improvement in power with the Decat?

Ewan

5. TheHouse

TheHouse Member

Yeah, feels like a load more Grunt low down in the revs. Is no louder than standard though, even though you lose 3 cats!

6. ElkWörks

ElkWörks Member

i was gonna ask that, my sportcross feels slow as chuff. where was the manifold from?

7. FFSEwan

FFSEwan Member

Cheers Man

8. TheHouse

TheHouse Member

Its a Toyosports manifold and Link pipe, bought them on ebay.

9. TheHouse

TheHouse Member

Fitted my Nardi Deep Corn yesterday, looks so much better already.
    [​IMG]

Also ordered some Rack Spacers and some Super Lap RCAs from RHDJapan, not sure what size they are but we'll see when they arrive.
    Spent some more money and ordered some 195 40 17 Kuhmos for the VS KFs, these coupled with the RCAs mean I should be able to drop the front some more but keep the clearance so they don't rub as much...

Rear has settled a bit, just need the front down to even it out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please excuse the terrible quality mobile photos

10. TheHouse

TheHouse Member

About time I updated this.

[​IMG]

So I was using the is as much as possible as it is above, however the arse down look doesn't do it for me, so I ordered some bits and bobs to try and deal with the stance.

Firstly I ordered some parts from RHDJapan, namely some Cusco upper control arms, some SuperLap RCAs, and some URAS lock spacers (because why not)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also ordered some 195/40/17 Kuhmos to put on the fronts.
    Lastly I ordered some rear KFD adjustable toe arms off PeteTheRussian (cheers dude) as the is200s can't handle going low at the back so toe in like a bastard.
    [​IMG]

The VSKFs were annoying me as they rubbed like a motherfucker and one of the tyres kept going down, so we put the Kuhmos on the 8.5 Dares and ran them on the front instead.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Probably gonna sell the VSKFs to fund buying some more wheels, so if anybody is interested, let me know.
    [​IMG]

Finally managed to get it in the workshop and stick all the new geometry bits on. The front sits a lot lower now and the upper control arms hit the inner arch on pretty much every single bump, so next job is to get the hub uprights cut down.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also put my private plate on, just because.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Height is about right now, may raise the rear a smidge to even it out so the sills are level, as it's still slightly arse down which bugs the shit out of me.
    [​IMG]

Also bought a Tarmac Sportz rear window visor, basically made of the same stuff as wind deflectors. Offered it up to the car, but didn't like how it looked so got some paint and colour matched it to the car. Looks much better now, took a terrible pic of me offering it up to the car but haven't fitted it yet as I need another pair of hands, couldn't do it on my own.
    [​IMG]

Almost forgot to mention, I bought an Auto diff as they're a shorter ratio than the manual one, and got Marshall down at M&M Engineering to fit it for me. Made a huge difference to how the car pulls, which is nice.

11. TheHouse

TheHouse Member

Fitted the window visor/roof spoiler just now.
    Happy with how it looks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. bennyboi

bennyboi Member

Roof spoiler is class, I have so much love for the look of these. I'd love a fast one.

13. bigdave z20

bigdave z20 Member

Looks super smart man, mate of mine drifts one of these, just has to do an extra manji on the straight parts of the track!lol
    Cheap bullet proof fun tho!

#13 bigdave z20, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  14. michealkirwan

michealkirwan Member

pm me price of vskfs lad

15. Gooly

Gooly Member

Looks cool, shame to see the VSKFs go but the lows means it looks good anyway. Japan size rear plate would make the rear look cool. How do these handle / skid? Does it feel quite lively with the auto diff / decat?

Inbox me a price on the VSKFs as well please, I have some 17x8/9 TE37s that could be part of a deal

16. Al_E11evens

Al_E11evens Member

Liking this bro ;)

17. YannG

YannG Member

really liking this... I would add a roof lip soiler now..I reckon that would look awesome, and perhaps get the 03 or 04 smoked surrounding trim for the taillights...

Keep up the good work dude !

18. TheHouse

TheHouse Member

So I forgot to update this again.

Fitted some wind deflectors because they're gangster. Obviously.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fitted some modified hubs with the spindles cut down so the UCAs stop smashing into the inner arches, although once they went on, even with the Cusco arms set to max camber im only getting around -0.5 degrees... Gonna have to get them modified again and have the UCA bolting points extended out 20 or 30mm...
    [​IMG]

Swapped the VSKFs for a pair of 17x9 Buddy Club P1s, although when I tried them on they didn't fit. Weak offset meant they looked kack on the rear, and they didn't fit on the front as they were hitting the hub uprights.
    [​IMG]

Instead I sold them to my buddy jake to fit to his e36, so that he can run 9j all round. Here's a Christmassy pic of his 36 on the 8/9 stagger. Haven't fitted the 9s on the front yet.
    [​IMG]

Went and collected a Recaro Confetti for me, although it had a bit of a tear and some superglue residue on it. I cleaned that crap up and sewed up the tear, looks much nicer now. Ordered a new Bride rail through JDM distro, just waiting for that to turn up so I can fit it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally, found a TRD kit on a scrapyard car, painted it black and fitted it yesterday. Looks so much better. Can hardly see it due to shitty phone camera photos of a black car in poor light but you get the gist.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#18 TheHouse, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  19. mint

mint touch my fruit

DUDE! That looks epic. Get an import plate for the rear, boot wing. Job done ;)