RADrift - Big Auf is200

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by TheHouse, Jan 11, 2016.

1. TheHouse

TheHouse Member

Overdue another update I think!

So, with Lydden rapidly approaching I decided we should get the car down to Jakes and get it sorted with plenty of time to spare.
    Obviously this didn't happen, so the Thursday and Friday night before the drift day on the Saturday, we set to work.
    [​IMG]

The plan was to fit the stuff I felt like I needed, and sack off the less important things untill after lydden.
    First off, we replaced the fucked lower arm with another standard one, as it was £15 off ebay. I dont feel like i need adjustable rear arms and stuff just yet, so didnt see the point in spending big money on them.

Next we fitted the Subframe collars, which I feel made a huge difference! Tightened the rear of the car up no end, which is ideal as it was getting pretty sloppy. Didn't get any pics of fitting them though, as it's a pain in the arse and didn't want to stop every 15 seconds to take pics.
    These are the ones I used, if anyone is interested.
    [​IMG]

Also took the opportunity to put the stiffer HSD springs I got on the coilovers.
    Shoutout to Rich Starkey at Driftworks for answering all my questions about the spring length / diameter I needed!
    Went for 18kg front and 16kg rear, they were easy enough to change as it is just a case of wazzing the top mount off and switching the springs over.
    [​IMG]

Finally, I bought more wheels off one of my Rainbow Alliance pals, a pair of 17x9 et12 Works T7Rs. Basically brand new, bar a couple of tiny marks.
    [​IMG]

Fitted up some 205/40/17 NS2s as the Landsails that came on the wheels were jank, and slapped them on the front.
    [​IMG]
    Front needs to come down a bit as the stiffer springs have raised it a smidge, so will do that at some stage.

The same evening we did some work on the rest of the Rainbow Alliance cars, not just mine.
    Sorted the ride height and put some r33 wheels on Jakes new e36, looks sick I think.
    [​IMG]

Also Grant was there, just doing whatever it is Grant does.
    [​IMG]

On to the Saturday.
    Arrived at a snowy Lydden, me and some pals had booked up the morning sessions.
    £100 for 3x 10 minute sessions seemed a bit steep but we weren't to fussed as it's only a 30 minute drive from home, rather than the 6+ hour drive to 3 Sisters...
    [​IMG]

It was only in the drivers briefing that we found out each 10 minute session would be split into 2 so that there is only 4 cars on track at once, essentially halving our seat time.
    £100 for 3x 5 minute sessions, I wasn't happy to say the least. Doubt I'll be returning, which is a shame.
    [​IMG]

Before we got started, I saw an old pal Mo from Superstyle wandering about, and he ended up doing a fun little "interview" about the car, where I awkwardly manage to get the name of my own wheels wrong, and miss out most of the mods I've done haha!
    The vid is on his youtube, here's the link.

So we got on and did some skids, first time driving at Lydden in some pretty janky conditions if I'm honest.
    Car was fun, stiffer springs and subframe collars made a huge difference to the way it drives, although seeing as it was -3 and snowing all morning I had hardly any front end grip at all!
    Ended up meaning I was a bit all over the place, but I had fun. First time skidding 3rd gear around paddock was cool, felt way fast.
    Big thanks to the Togs that went and stood about in the cold to snap some cheeky photos for everyone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I did do an awesome understeer into devils elbow at one point and managed to plow into the gravel and get stuck, but it was the last lap of the session anyway so wasn't hugely fussed. Didn't do any major damage, just popped the front bumper off haha.

Anyway, after Lydden I've been all motivated to get on and do stuff, and as it seems to be warming up a bit now I'm happier working outside on the drive instead of just ignoring the car like usual.
    Finally fitted my darker headlights as all the pics from Lydden annoyed me, the standard ones look all yellowy and out of place so decided to swap them over.
    Looks much better I think.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also managed to pull my finger out and fix the daily.
    Starter motor had gone, and Lexus in their infinite wisdom had put it in the V of the hehe engine, under the inlet manifold.
    Finally all sorted, although it idles shit now so think Ive got a vac leak or an inlet mani gasket isn't very happy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And that brings us about up to date.

Motivation is still high, so plans are afoot to get the front of the IS lowered a bit, and fit the lock mods.
    Got some driftworks tension rods, and some Hey Glen knuckles to fit, as well as the necessary JZS147 Aristo track rod ends.
    They are exact copies of HeyMan 800PS knuckles as they were made off of a jig Glen made from the proper ones.
    Not sure if I'm going to need extended lower arms yet, will find out soon I imagine.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

#101 TheHouse, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  2. Leno

Leno Member

Shame what's happened to Lydden, I was excited when I saw drift days were coming back only to be horrified by the price and lack of actual drift time!

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

3. m11ler

m11ler Member

I manage you all. That's what I do.

Raise the rear.

Many thanks,

Grant.

4. Gooly

Gooly Member

5. Gooly

Gooly Member

also dark headlamps look sick and real OGs run reverse rake

6. m11ler

m11ler Member

Not with positive front camber. Those OG's drive Honda Civics as far as i'm aware. *fire emoji*

7. TheHouse

TheHouse Member

Cor how rude.

I dont have positive front camber grant you bollard head

8. TheHouse

TheHouse Member

Really enjoying this new driftworks layout.

So much so that I imagine I'll post a bit more often, maybe.
    [​IMG]

Also here's a pic of the daily LS400 on 17 inch P1s which look hilarious. Had 2 bald tyres and these were in the boot so chucked them on...
    [​IMG]

9. TheHouse

TheHouse Member

Hardly done anything to this expect plough on with seat time, I feel like I'm starting to get to grips with this drifting malarkey.

Went to Rockingham last week with my dudes, had an awesome day. So many internet people were there, it was mad.

Screenshot_20170402-134734_zpsqvpt41go.

FB_IMG_1491486078377_zps1puxwayy.
    (Credit: Ali from STL)

Started out a bit shaky as it was quite a fast layout, and was struggling to get to grips with the large 2nd corner. Also had to keep arse dragging on entry as I'm not confident enough to do big crazy flicks just yet. Not a fan of handbrake entries really, but hey I'm still learning...
    As the day went on I started going out with Bam and Griller to follow their lines and this helped a lot, made such a massive difference being able to see where I should be putting the car.

IMG_20170403_190351_314_zpsnnjqedpe.

Anyway, here's some more pictures from the event. Do excuse the comically large and unnecessary watermark, the car is under there somewhere...
    FB_IMG_1491485865771_zpsw2fcrqv4.
    (Credit: ISB media, could you guess?)

DSC_0512_zps2dfwfztg.
    DSC_0340_zpswbb24hpt.
    DSC_0811_zpslem4zmxr.
    DSC_0647_zpsilto328s.
    DSC_0800_zpslhm8ul87.
    (Credit: Chris Popple, @justmechris24 on insta, the true hero of Rockingham togs)

Future plans?
    •Keep up the seat time. Enjoying it a lot at the minute, want to keep a good thing going.
    •Need to fit my lock mods still. Just waiting on Dan from Destroy or Die to wazz me up some 30mm extended arms, then can fit those with my HeyGlen knuckles and driftworks castor arms.
    •Decide what fibreglass front wings to get. Currently looking like the Ascura garage ones.

#109 TheHouse, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  10. TheHouse

TheHouse Member

Some more pics showing up, awesome snaps by Dan Bridle (Photo Make Bridle)

_W2A9718_zpsq82py9rl.

tumblr_oo7juvBUaJ1qaxjj9o1_1280_zpsf48czekx.

_W2A9855_zpsrdvpsvjy.

_W2A0593_zpsx7rxocg3.

_W2A9723_zpsx4u4ic3s.

11. mj86

mj86 Member

Looking good alf man Get mine built back up and shall get some seat time in with you ✌

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. TheHouse

TheHouse Member

Popped out to the pub in this to meet some pals the other day, which reminded me I should probably do a nice smol update for y'all
    IMG_20170521_185333_800_zpsfkglopxh.

Doing Rockingham with the usual lot next Monday, so I haven't really done a great deal to the car for fear of not getting it sorted in time.

For now I've been hoarding parts. I have everything I need to put all my extra lock gubbins on now, save for maybe some front spacers as the wings I've bought are +45mm ones.
    Also have HeyGlen 800PS rep knuckles, driftworks adjustable caster arms, JZS147 track rod ends, and 40mm extended lower arms waiting to go on, will get done some time after Rockingham.

I bought an s14 Kouki wing to see how it would look on the IS, looked wanky so I sacked that idea off
    20170509_170151_zpshxunephs.
    20170509_170156_zpsjyccqims.

As you can see, my neighbour also thought it looked gash
    Screenshot_20170522-104524_zpsu3ctaje1.

So I decided to stick with the little lip dinger. Although after taking this picture I now feel like the car needs 18s on the rear. If anyone's stashing any r34 GTR wheels, hit me up.
    20170518_144847_zpsaeq8o8az.

Finally I've agreed to buy a Cwest bumper too, hopefully it'll look alright with the Ascura wings and Vertex skirts I've ordered, although if it does look cabbage it shouldn't be too hard to sell and I'll buy something else.
    CWest_IS300_zpsne9g1gzr.

#112 TheHouse, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. lewby

lewby Member

this looked sweet at rockingham the other month. Made me think bad thoughts about abandoning my mx5 buying an IS/tezza

• Like Like x 1
  14. TheHouse

TheHouse Member

They're a decent car, the chassis is great it's just a shame they're so underpowered.
    Altezza would be the better shout as they seem to be pretty reasonable price wise at the minute...

15. TheHouse

TheHouse Member

Oop forgot to mention a few bits

Towards the end of the last Rockingham day I managed to rub through / snap a rear subframe brace bar, so replaced those with some decent used ones.
    Also the gearbox was feeling a bit notchy (as pointed out by Ali) so I changed the oil for some Redline Superlight Shockproof stuff, seems a bit nicer now and should handle the abuse a bit better.
    Didn't get any pictures of this because it would just be a picture of a bottle of oil. Nobody needs that in their life.

Also heat wrapped my exhaust manifold, not for any particular reason other than I quite like how it looks, and reducing engine bay temps can't be a bad thing...
    Top tip: metal cable ties are fucking dogshit and don't work so I just used some lockwire from work. Seems to hold nice and tight, and wasn't to difficult to fit. Win win.
    IMG_20170417_181511_370_zpsydffsiez.

16. robinpipers

robinpipers Member

Awesome build :)

17. lewby

lewby Member

Im considering it, even more reasonable than NA s bodies!

18. Adam2012

Adam2012 New Member

Loving the build. What sort of alignment did you get when you started drifting this IS?

19. TheHouse

TheHouse Member

I should probably update this now that photobucket have stopped holding everyone's photos hostage

20181110_151044_zpstbtjqwgz.

FB_IMG_1542403695715_zpsmsq10rda.

• Like Like x 2
  20. ifyoucantbeate

You can't just slap a picture of a turbo on and abandon us without further details !!! For shame !!!