Rb20 timing belt issues

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by burgessn, Jul 27, 2011.

1. burgessn

burgessn Member

Hey dudes i got a issue thats really driving me crazy i resantly had to changed my water pump on rb20 and while i had it apart i put on new idler pulley and tensioner pully with a new timing belt and everything went back together fine no problems
    now the problem... the timing belt keeps moving forward off the cam gears and rubbing causing it to split and fray!!!
    i thot i might not have got the tension right on the tensioner so i pulled it back apart and replace the timing belt again and when i put it back to gether....same thing!!!! I put everything back to gether right and set the tension to what i thot was perferfect and as soon as you start the car the damn belt moves right off the cam gears!!!
    me and my buddies are lost and dont know what could be causing this!!!
    they only thing that i thiink it could maybe be but highly unlikely is a bit of a chunk missing out of the balancer on the crank gear!! But im really dont see how this could affect it!!!
    i have added some pics(sorry not the best) anany info on how to resolve this would be great im getting tired of changing timing belt lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. burgessn

burgessn Member

bump has anybody had this problem!!

3. THICK SOUP

THICK SOUP Active Member

I'd check the idler pulleys, tensioner pulley & crank sproket (cam pulleys look ok in the pic). Something's not running true which is making the belt walk off the pulleys.

4. burgessn

burgessn Member

ya the idler pulley and tensioner are in line ok! im gonna pull it all apart this weekend and see if the crank gear is not all the way seated but im not sure what else it could be!!!

5. m.d.

m.d. Active Member

Check the bolt that holds the idler or even the tensioner is not bent. In theory it shouldn't be able to do that as the bottom pulley has a large washer the belt hits if it tries to wander.
    It does really seem like something is not square. Check no rust build ups have not made the pillar on the idler pulley sit pissed.

6. ant

ant R32 GTR-S

you forgot to put the washer on the end of the bottom pulley that keeps the belt in place, its behind the bottom pulley.

7. tmak1456

tmak1456 Member

Dude I think he's right, I don't remember seeing a washer on that bottom pulley when we had it apart.:smash:

8. burgessn

burgessn Member

the washer behind the balancer that goes on after you get the belt over the crank gear is definatly there! i remember putting it on!! is there any way that when i pulled the timing belt off the first time that the crank gear got pull out some and that is y its causing this?

9. mushtafa

mushtafa Member

Put a straight edge or steel ruler against the front of all the pulleys, you should be able to see if one is pissed. Also, is the dished washer thing on the crank pulley the right way round?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

10. m.d.

m.d. Active Member

Definitely sounds like the bolt for one of the idlers is bent if that domed washer has gone behind the crank pulley

11. burgessn

burgessn Member

thanks for the advice i will put a straight edge on it when i get it back apart and see what is going on!! will post more pics if i find something out of place!!

12. burgessn

burgessn Member

Ok so I solved the belt issue it ended up being when I installed the belt tensioner I put a washer behind it that didn't belong!!!! But now I have a new problem before I got around to working on it the timing belt came off while the engine was idleing! I have replaced the timing belt and reset my time all back spot on but now it is running super bad. It sounds as if it's not running on all cylinders and is missing real bad!!! It starts and runs and compression is all fine so I don't think I bent a valve or anything but I'm not sure were to start looking to solve this!!!
    Any advice would be Awsome!!! Cheers!

13. THICK SOUP

THICK SOUP Active Member

If the belt came off while the engine was running I'd put money on valve damage. When you say the compression is all ok, have you done a compression test?

The other things to look at are the rocker arms/cam buckets (not sure how the cams work the vavles on RB20's). There could be a bent arm or cracked bucket.

14. mushtafa

mushtafa Member

Bent valve! Bad luck fella

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

15. burgessn

burgessn Member

ok so i just did a compression test and turns out number 4 cylinder has absolutly zero compression!!! so im it lookes like the valves are toast!!
    does anybody know if there is a write-up on hear about pulling the head on a rb20!!
    cheers thanks guys for the help!!!

16. THICK SOUP

THICK SOUP Active Member

17. burgessn

burgessn Member

Thanks dude!!

18. burgessn

burgessn Member

so i got my head all changed and everything and the car started up first crank no problems but its not right. soomething sounds off, sounds a bit like its still not running on all cylnders and is very slugish and backfiring. i have done a compression test and that is all good, then i thought timng was mabe out so i checked that and it was so i fxed the timing and still ran te same way so then i changed plugs and still acts the same way. i have disconnected all the coilpacks to try and see if that was it and they are all good. cant really figure out wats uo with it! anyboy got any advice or live in the norfolk area to lend a hand lol

19. monterx7

monterx7 Member

seriously.....his car sounds like a wrx!

20. burgessn

burgessn Member

Yea it sounds like poo!!