RB23det. PROBLEM!! car wont rev over 3000 rmp

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Pearl, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Pearl

Pearl New Member

I have a 1990 4dr r32 gts. RB23det. (rb20 stroked). Have hks/garrett gt2530 turbo. screamer pipe. 4" all the way kakimoto exhaust. cusco oil catch (one hose to cam cover, other open for breather). Apexi super AVCR (old boxy one), Apexi super AFC (old one with 5 knobs for rpm ranges), yellow jacket coil packs, hks turbo timer, Greddy boost gauge, after market 3 core rad, 5 speed with tomei short shifter. removed all a/c and heater core (rerouted hoses at back to eachother), removed stock bov and changed rubber from turbo inlet to maf to a 3" aluminum pipe.

The car wont rev over 3000 rmp. this is what ive done so far.
    -checked maf. ALL GOOD
    -reset ecu. IDLES much BETTER NOW
    -set afc to 0% increase on all 5. ranges from -30% to +30%.
    -set tps to 4.8 (best i could do)
    -tightened all clamps
    -check for boost leak. I THINK THERES NONE
    -checked for vacuum leak. I THINK THERES NONE
    -theres a leak in the coolent. COULD THIS BE IT?
    -checked all wire connecting plugs. GOOD TO GO

i think thats everything. can anybody tell me what the problem is? I CANT LOSE ANYMORE SLEEP OVER THIS LOL.. GRADES ARE REFLECTING =P.
    THANKS

2. Team Tuffcore

Team Tuffcore Member

3. Pearl

Pearl New Member

fixed her. was a loose maf wire. does anyone know what to set my afc at. what fuel ranges should i use in all five gears with the set up im runnin. right now im running 11psi. want to change it to 14 but first need to set afc

4. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

You can't tune the afc properly without a wideband lambda, on your Skyline it's a waste of time as there are so many superior management options available.

Ditch it and fit Nistune, (or PFC, omex, link etc etc) :nod:

5. Pearl

Pearl New Member

as far as i know the ecu isnt stock. its been chipped. and the stock o2 is hooked up.. but on another note. im told there is a usb port under the dash in an r32 for using niztune. is this true? if so wherd is it

6. yogi bear

yogi bear Active Member

Not being rude, but it sounds like you are far out of your depth. Either do lots of research, or pay someone that knows what they are doing

7. Pearl

Pearl New Member

i like to work on my own car. saves me money and i learn whats wrong with it and how it works. 6months ago i didnt know a thing about these cars. since then ive purchased two. took a beat up auto and turned it into a monster. did three swaps in 4 days. i taught myself the mechanics and now i want to teach myself the tuning of electronics. apreceate the input but theres bound to be someone who can give me the answer im looking for. and as for research... this is my research. nothing better than a bunch of turbo nuts who take this stuff religously and as a life style over someone who does it cuz they have to. every profecional started as a rookie. maybe im just stuborn but in my opinion. its not your car if you dont do the work. =D

8. r3k1355

Nistune isn't a stock system, it's afermarket. There's no USB anywhere on a standard Skyline.

If you think using an old afc is tuning in any way you're dead wrong, it offers 5 points of fuel correction over the rev-range, thats pathetic and to make things worse there's no ignition control.

9. yogi bear

yogi bear Active Member

This is all correct !
    But what i dont understand is why someone would build a stroked rb23 andtry running it on an afc??? Or..... Does it already have a nistune fitted?? In which case, why the fuck has someone fitted an afc to a car that already has far superior management already?? Im confused.

So what you need to do buddy is check your ecu and see if it already has a nistune board fitted. And go from there.
    As for the safc.... Id throw it in the skip immediately, as its far from ideal to be trying to tune a rb23 with

10. r3k1355

Thats the thing really, you don't just pull an RB apart, stroke it and bolt it back together.
    You fit forged internals, cams, valve springs, lifters, head gasket etc, and spend a pretty penny.

Who then trusts the fueling to a 30 quid, ten year old afc unit??? I wonder if it's not just a std lump.

11. Pearl

Pearl New Member

well thanks for all the imput, buuuuut i found my answer on another forum. car runs amazing now with the afc tuning. :-D

12. yogi bear

yogi bear Active Member

Not possible! Amazing and safc are not two words that can be used together

13. Pearl

Pearl New Member

oh and to the people who gave me advice i could use instead of being negative bashers, THANKYOU! Ill be getting it dyno'd soon at school, ill let you know what its running :-)
    cheers!

14. blue32

blue32 Member

I smell something in the air/ What is it?? Oh yeah Bullshit

I had a rb20 few mods steel turbo fmic etc etc. Like a fool i went for a SAFC2 had it mapped by someone who knew what they doing and all i can say is the safc is good if you want a flash monitor for revs etc but for tuning what a piece of shit.

If you have an rb23 i have a 15INCH COCK

15. Pearl

Pearl New Member

well i do have an rb23. testa rossa stroker kit, so you must have a 15 inch cock in you ass. Has anyone ever seen a hot dog thrown down a hallway? bet this guys bf has.

say what you want guys. all im saying is thank for the input but its tuned to its specs now. may not be the BEST control system. but for now it works to even things out. ill be getting nistune in the near future. and as i mentioned im getting it dyno'd which can tune it even better as someone mentioned above. sheesh. arguing on the internet is like the special olympics.. even if you win your still retarted.

16. -WJ-

-WJ- Dutch drifter

you serious ? :)

you get bonus points for misspelling retarded though...