RB25 Swap

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by white car, Jul 6, 2009.

1. white car

white car Member

If I was going to do a RB swap into my 180sx what would I need?

Would I need some of the main body wiring due to security systems etc or is it a simple[ish] wiring??

So far I've got
    Rb25det + harness, afm and ECU.
    Rb25det box, clutch/fly

Any other wiring to get it working?

Im going to move the engine quite far back by cuting up the fire wall so will I need skyline sub frame?

Will I need the skyline powersteering rack or are they the same fittings?

Cheers,:thumbs:

Lewis

2. marty

marty Member

Hi mate just get a R33 crossmember there about £70 inc delivery you dont need to cut the bulk head it will fit like a glove,wiring isnt to bad not very many wires you actually need to get it all wired up and running you will need all what you have said,use your power steering rack it will bolt straight to the crossmember the lines will be a basterd to fit though,if you want any help with the wiring drop me a pm and for the gearbox mount either modify the one you have or get a s13 auto one as im sure they are almost a direct fit only thing you need to do is make the holes for the bolts a tad bigger but its not that hard todo the conversion:thumbs:

3. rb26/7mgte

rb26/7mgte Member

You also need the sr prop shaft with the rb25 prop shaft end yoke welded on. You also need an s-14 throttle cable and a diy bracket to relocate the fuse box.

There is a crowd called syko performance that have dvd's for the swap.....i got rb25/s-13 one and its alright .....but the wiring has a dvd all of its own so im not sure if its really as simple as marty says. Im building mine for drift and its pretty simple without all the electronic stuff on road cars.

All the info you need is online........ here's some useful info

What is needed to swap a RB into a s-body

Shows what you need to do to the oil pan if your going RB26
    Nissan 240sx - SR20 RB25DET Engine Swap - Super Street

I also heard about some oil feed issues with the RB25 and found the awnser on an aus skyline site. By now the guy that posted it has built over 25 race RB engines and theres even a rule of thumb chart on how to sort out your type of RB
    Oil Control In Rb's For Circuit Drag Or Drift - Skylines Australia

#3 rb26/7mgte, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  4. white car

white car Member

Thank you.

I want to push the rb further back into the fire wall a gentleman on the sxoc said if I use the stock subframe the rb will be mounted 4inchs back into the fire wall.

Can anyone confirm this?

5. rb26/7mgte

rb26/7mgte Member

There are brackets for using the standard sub and these are lever style brackets that sit the engine in the same place (this why r33 x-member better) so maybe it would push the engine back a bit wit your own brackets.......but........this means lots of custom work, lots and lots.
    This switches the build from a pretty straight swap......to a complicated project.

full custom jobs:
    prop
    engine mounts
    trans tunnel
    gearbox mount
    firewall
    +loads more little bits.....

I had that idea for a while but after looking through th DW S15 build.....I binned that one.

By using a full fuel tank plus ballast weights you can balance the car without this extra work

6. white car

white car Member

The metal workisnt a problem grinder/welder and all the time in the world its the wiring that will be the problem.

Im just trying to get as much info as possible so I dont incure extra costs.

7. rb26/7mgte

rb26/7mgte Member

#7 rb26/7mgte, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  8. j-man

j-man Member

So glad i found this thread. This has answered just about every question i had regarding an RB swap. Only thing that still seems a bit vague is the prop. What box do you need to use the standard s13 prop shaft?

9. rb26/7mgte

rb26/7mgte Member

Your using the RB25 gearbox, so you take front yoke off the RB prop shaft and use all the rest of the SR prop. You can always go full custom and use only the two end pieces with a solid centre prop but it costs a bit more............

Picture_124.
    Picture_120.
    rb25yokeweldedtothesilviatailshaft.
    rb25yokeweldedtothesilviatailshaft2.

This is the DIY gearbox mount
    Picture_111.
    modifiedgearboxmount.

Attached Files:

10. j-man

j-man Member

So does the prop just need to be standard length? Are you not able to use a r32 prop? There's too much random info on all the american sites. Think I'll stop looking on them. Just get confused.

11. erdensine

erdensine Member

This is my dream project and one day I will need these :thumbs:.
    Thnx for posting these guys

12. rb26/7mgte

rb26/7mgte Member

@j-man: If your using the r33 engine mounts, all you need to do is weld on the end piece like the pics.......
    If your using the syko perfomance mounts, you need r33 prop shaft front yoke + s13 prop shaft rear yoke with a custom centre prop thats made slightly shorter.......
    Dont know if the r32 prop fits straight in.........

And here's a teaser......sounds mad!

YouTube - 500bhp RB25 200SX

#12 rb26/7mgte, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2009