rebuilt engine and mapping

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by dori_wey, Jun 28, 2013.

1. dori_wey

dori_wey Member

having engine rebuilt with forged pistons, water pump, oil pump ect, the turbo is the same and so on, has a map on there now which tbh over fuel slightly.
    -whats the best ways to run an engine in some people say 20mins done for the rings to seal some say near 1000miles.
    -after doing some reading it does seam wearing them in harder seams a plan.
    -will the map do for the time being as in to wear it in and a bit of a play then map after ?

2. superclarkey

superclarkey DORITECH MOTORSPORT

Over fueling can bore wash the rings and ruin the run in.. don't run it, get it on the dyno and get it ran in there.

3. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Chuck a standard ECU and injectors in maybe, I've done that before.

If not mega rich it's ok, mega rich isn't good though

4. Frank454

Frank454 New Member

It's not so much about how many miles or so much time, it's more down to loading the engine to seat the rings.

5. m.d.

m.d. Active Member

First 20 odd miles should be on full load up to something like 4-5k then snap the throttle shut. Don't cruise about too much. So lots of accelerating and decelerating without over revving.

This helps bed the rings in. And when your off the throttle the vacuum sucks the oil past the rings slightly and lubricates the bore.

After that drive it smoothly and occasionally rev the engine high but not much boost or full throttle. Just let the engine build up revs. I just used mine for the daily commute to work driving normally but avoided sustained high revs and also had the boost down as low as possible.

Driving like a pussy for 1000 miles below 4k does more harm than good.

I've actually seen a mini engine that was run in like this and it smoked like a bastard. Took the head off and de glazed the bores with some emery paper and it totally cured it.

Another problem with gentle driving for a long run in period on an engine that will be driven hard. Is that the bore will wear in to suit the piston travel. But when you have run it in and decide to use full revs the piston will actually go slightly higher in the bore. ( mixture of momentum putting extra load on the film of oil around the bearings and sometimes a little rod stretch. I'm not sure if I'm convinced on the rod stretch theory myself though).

But either way. You should run the engine in to suit the way you will drive it.

There was a story years ago about the Honda s2000. Owners would bring there's in for a service and be given a courtesy s2000.
    They would come back and say "why is that car faster than mine"?
    And the answer would always be that the courtesy car had been hammered from brand new. No run in at all. Where as there's had been given the 1000 mile run in.

6. dori_wey

dori_wey Member

It's nt mega Ritch at all it's a Horsham stage 3 on a nistunes board, so rely load the engine smoothly and when's it good to go completely? So many conflicting stories it's unreal haha cheers for all the answers though.

7. drewbar

drewbar New Member

Ask the guys who are going to be mapping it what they think, personally, I wouldn't run it for any prolonged amount of time without being sure of the boost and fueling levels